Speculation: Has The Habs Stanley Cup Window Officially Opened

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
"Stanley Cup Window" isn't an official badge, it's a location. We're in the final-four. That means we're there.

Unexpected? Sure. The window may not budge for years, but then the weather changes and it suddenly pops open. Enjoy the breeze.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
"Stanley Cup Window" isn't an official badge, it's a location. We're in the final-four. That means we're there.

Unexpected? Sure. The window may not budge for years, but then the weather changes and it suddenly pops open. Enjoy the breeze.

Habs Flags snappin' in it :handclap:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
As for the window, I disagree. It's open. When you have PK and Price playing like they have, with our depth, I don't see how our window isn't open.

Two players don't a team make, as great as they might be. Pittsburgh has Malkin, Crosby, a "real" first line, more talented players than we do and what happened to their window. Let's wait and see.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Probably 3-5 years. If we get eliminated against the Rangers and don't make the finals over the next 3 years, I'd start to get worried.

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
As long as our pro-scouting continues to be as effective as it was this year we could be in a very good spot for years to come.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Two players don't a team make, as great as they might be. Pittsburgh has Malkin, Crosby, a "real" first line, more talented players than we do and what happened to their window. Let's wait and see.

Pittsburgh is always considered a cup contender, but yes, two players don't make a team, which is why I mentioned our depth.

We have a window this year that might close as soon as it's over. Vanek adds a new dimension to this team. If we don't re-sign or replace him, we'll lose a big piece. If we do though, with PK, Price, and Max, on top of all the other depth guys, we certainly are in it.

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
I think MB took a gamble on the road to the finals being a crapshoot this year. He loaded up and it's paid off enough to be a win even if we don't go farther.

Let's see how the rest of the playoffs go. Right now we certainly have a decent shot at going to a final. Winning the cup may be another question. We'll find out if we get there.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
to think we drafted in the 3rd spot in 2012.. 2 years later we will draft between 27th & 30th... Hopefuly we will pick last!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Pittsburgh is always considered a cup contender, but yes, two players don't make a team, which is why I mentioned our depth.

We have a window this year that might close as soon as it's over. Vanek adds a new dimension to this team. If we don't re-sign or replace him, we'll lose a big piece. If we do though, with PK, Price, and Max, on top of all the other depth guys, we certainly are in it.

This year IS very special and there is no reason for it not to continue to be very special.
The Guys on the ice have every reason to believe they can continue this journey.
The lightning in a bottle sentiment is very valid. This is one of the reasons i asked the question.
We seem to have the beginnings of a very solid core. What have the deadline acquisitions done for the Brass in helping identify the core needs going forward.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I think MB took a gamble on the road to the finals being a crapshoot this year. He loaded up and it's paid off enough to be a win even if we don't go farther.

Totally agree with you there. Even if we lose to the Rangers, the experience it gives to everyone is invaluable. Nobody will be complaining about Price not being able to win in the playoffs.

However, I wouldn't say that we are in a cup/contending window. We're not there yet. Depending on what happens in the offseason, Pens and Bruins will most likely still be a notch above us. But that could change, of course.

I'd say we're more or less a #3-4 team in the east, but potentially on the rise, especially if we re-sign Vanek.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Let's see how the rest of the playoffs go. Right now we certainly have a decent shot at going to a final. Winning the cup may be another question. We'll find out if we get there.

This crapshoot being the first shot across the bow?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I have a theory that any team that wins the Stanley Cup needs at least one future Hall of Famer. Carolina Hurricanes are the only team I can think of who've won a Stanley Cup without a Hall of Famer.

The question is: are there any future Hall of Famers currently playing for the Montreal Canadiens?

Potentially, two at least. Of course winning a Stanley Cup enhances their reputations.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
And on a somewhat related note, I'm really looking forward to the beginning of next season, when everybody and their mother will still predict a #9-10 finish for the Habs. :laugh:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Habs have some interesting decisions coming up. Can they re-sign all of markov, vanek and subban? probably. but does Gionta stay?

would like to see the habs move moen for a pick

i think Beaulieu and Tinordi are both here next year + weaver over cube and murray

I think Andrighetto and DLR are knocking on the door...

i also think habs should deal/sign an enforcer type - i don't think Conor Crisp is ready

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Habs have some interesting decisions coming up. Can they re-sign all of markov, vanek and subban? probably. but does Gionta stay?

would like to see the habs move moen for a pick

i think Beaulieu and Tinordi are both here next year + weaver over cube and murray

I think Andrighetto and DLR are knocking on the door...

i also think habs should deal/sign an enforcer type - i don't think Conor Crisp is ready

More like HUGE decisions if that window is a reality in the near future.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Yes, yes it has.

IMO the window will stay firmly open considering Patches, PK and Price are all still quite young, and we have Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu & Tinordi still nowhere near their peak (heck, the last two aren't even NHL regulars yet). The only key piece I see us losing or steeply declining is Markov, who's shown he can be useful in a different way than we expected (Gio is hardly a key piece any longer).

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Totally agree with you there. Even if we lose to the Rangers, the experience it gives to everyone is invaluable. Nobody will be complaining about Price not being able to win in the playoffs.

I'd say we're more or less a #3-4 team in the east, but potentially on the rise, especially if we re-sign Vanek.

Two very good points here. The biggest reason why we are a better team is because of Vanek, he draws so much attention that it opens up everything for our other lines and makes us have depth.

If we lose Vanek, we take a big step backwards and are dependent on Galchenyuk developing and replacing his numbers. My goal for this year was to win one round and get a taste of success in the playoffs. We've done more than that.

Everything from here on out is gravy and fun. All this discussion and arguing is missing a very important point, like Carey Price said during the 2nd intermission last night, ENJOY THE MOMENT.

Let's all start enjoying this more instead of debating so much.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Two very good points here. The biggest reason why we are a better team is because of Vanek.

Not totally convinced this is the case. Vanek or the type of piece he represents.
There are players out there who can do much of what Vanek does and other things besides.
Vanek is pure O and an eggs all in the same basket kind of gamble.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Two very good points here. The biggest reason why we are a better team is because of Vanek.

Not totally convinced this is the case. Vanek or the type of piece he represents.
There are players out there who can do much of what Vanek does and other things besides.
Vanek is pure O and an eggs all in the same basket kind of gamble.

But your missing the point, there are very few Vanek type players out there. He isn't replacable. Who is available this year via UFA that could replace the pure offence that Vanek represents?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
But your missing the point, there are very few Vanek type players out there. He isn't replacable. Who is available this year via UFA that could replace the pure offence that Vanek represents?

UFA is only one venue.
Vanek did more for us by balancing out our lines spreading out our scoring in my mind than just putting up points. This is what i Mean by HUGE decisions in the near future. Fans are helpless with regards to the Window we hear about it and speculate about it but ultimately the Brass decides if it even exists.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad