Speculation: Has MacT made any comments since getting canned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Lowe is what he is as a manager, but that shouldn't be an excuse to re-write is legacy as a player.

Calling him a journeyman is one of the dumber things I've read on this board. He was a top 4 defenceman on 5 of 6 Stanley Cup Champion teams, and was excellent for the Oilers in that time. I'm not saying he should have his sweater retired, but he was still a very good defenseman. Journeyman - you have to be ****in kidding me.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Oilers aren't retiring Lowe's number because of fans like you. Lowe doesn't even want his number retired because of fans like you. Lowe even said that he doesn't want his number retired. Lowe is better than those three. Lowe's number will not be retired because of Oilers fans like you.

Oilers will get bashed if Lowe's number is ever retired. I'm getting fed up with the Lowe bashing. Your Oilers hatred is really showing. Fans like you are trying to play GM. People actually bashed Hall when he got #4 saying that he forced Lowe to give him his number and that wasn't true. Lowe phoned Hall if he wanted #4 he could have it. Yet people bashed Hall for it. Hall gets bashed a lot just because the Oilers drafted Hall instead of the fans golden boy Seguin.

I didn't post for a year because I didn't want to read your garbage.

But now everyone has to read your garbage. According to you, the fans are to blame for everything. You are related to Kevin Lowe aren't you?

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Guys like Al Hamilton?.......You realize Lowe last played in an all star game decades ago, right?..and was a core part of those great teams you mentioned....and what awards did Glen Anderson win?... by your metric he is a waste of space too......:shakehead......

Al Hamilton's number was retired before the dynasty so obviously the criteria has changed.

Glenn Anderson's work with the Oilers put him in the Hockey Hall of Fame. I think that says plenty about what he meant to this team.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
You might be.............???

Lowe was a good, defensive Dman. However, he hasn't done enough in his playing career to warrant having his number retired with the Oil. And he certainly hasn't done enough during his management days to warrant it.

You might be right Lowe is 50/50 to have his number retired but I will gave Lowe's positive side........he came back to Edmonton when others like Messier who went to his island in North Carolina, Gretzky went to Lotus Land with his actress wife and Glen Anderson went to drugs.

Kevin answered the bell when the former businessmen owners convinced him to take the helm to coach and then GM the Oilers. He was involved in trading for Chris Pronger and was the GM when the Oilers last made an appearance in the Stanley Cup (2006).

I am not defending his recent record for which the majority of you are judging him by but to me he is the ultimate Oiler.

I cherish loyalty and Mr. Lowe was an shining example of an Oiler for life. He has made his share of mistakes but who hasn't.

Last edited:

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Al Hamilton's number was retired before the dynasty so obviously the criteria has changed.

Glenn Anderson's work with the Oilers put him in the Hockey Hall of Fame. I think that says plenty about what he meant to this team.

Typical drive by comments, you might want to read a few posts in a discussion and sting them together but anyways.......I never said I had a problem with Anderson having his jersey there :dunno: and whether or not the criteria has changed or not doesn't change the fact that Hamiltons jersey is there ...I'm not naming names but some around here may think the presence of that jersey would sully the other retired jerseys in the rafters...

Oct 15, 2008
Guys like Al Hamilton?.......You realize Lowe last played in an all star game decades ago, right?..and was a core part of those great teams you mentioned....and what awards did Glen Anderson win?... by your metric he is a waste of space too......:shakehead......

Al Hamilton was the star of the team. Can you say that about Kevin Lowe? I saw Al Hamilton play live too. Did you? Not likely.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Oilers aren't retiring Lowe's number because of fans like you. Lowe doesn't even want his number retired because of fans like you. Lowe even said that he doesn't want his number retired. Lowe is better than those three. Lowe's number will not be retired because of Oilers fans like you.

Oilers will get bashed if Lowe's number is ever retired. I'm getting fed up with the Lowe bashing. Your Oilers hatred is really showing. Fans like you are trying to play GM. People actually bashed Hall when he got #4 saying that he forced Lowe to give him his number and that wasn't true. Lowe phoned Hall if he wanted #4 he could have it. Yet people bashed Hall for it. Hall gets bashed a lot just because the Oilers drafted Hall instead of the fans golden boy Seguin.
The Oilers haven't retired Lowe's number because it's team policy not to do it until the player has been elected/inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Lowe has said this. (Two exceptions: Al Hamilton's #3 was retired in 1980 but didn't go up until 2001, and Mark Messier's #11 was raised a few months before he was officially voted into the HHOF.)

Last edited:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
You might be right Lowe is 50/50 to have his number retired but I will gave Lowe's positive side........he came back to Edmonton when others like Messier who went to his island in North Carolina, Gretzky went to Lotus Land with his actress wife and Glen Anderson went to drugs.

Kevin answered the bell when the former businessmen owners convinced him to take the helm to coach and then GM the Oilers. He was involved in trading for Chris Pronger and was the GM when the Oilers last made an appearance in the Stanley Cup (2006).

I am not defending his recent record for which the majority of you are judging him by but to me he is the ultimate Oiler.

I cherish loyalty and Mr. Lowe was an shining example of an Oiler for life. He has made his share of mistakes but who hasn't.

Yeah, his biggest mistake was failing to recognize his own failings by hanging onto his Oiler paycheck for dear life; all to the detriment of the team which he so proudly thought he was better than.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
Did you read................???

Yeah, his biggest mistake was failing to recognize his own failings by hanging onto his Oiler paycheck for dear life; all to the detriment of the team which he so proudly thought he was better than.

Did you read my post? Lowe does not need the money..........the Oilers previous owners and the present owner appointed Lowe to his present job on the club.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You're part of the problem Lowe doesn't want his number retired. Enough with your Slats love affair. People like you will be pissed if his number is retired. Lowe was more than a journeyman. Ask Gretzky, Messier and others. Lowe wanted to resign because of how some fans hated Lowe but Katz didn't allow him to.

If anyone was a journeyman, it was Slats but according to people like you, Slats could do no wrong. Slats drafting was atrocious and that was his only problem. Yet I've seen people blame Lowe for some players that Slats drafted. Lowe could resign and people like you would still find a way to blame him and bash him.

Lowe doesn't want his number retired because of fans like you.
I can't figure out why you keep bringing up Glen Sather. The man left this organization 16 years ago. Let me repeat that. He hasn't worked here or been involved in any of the decisions here for 16 YEARS. Lowe was the guy at the head of the organization making decisions for that time. They may not all have been day to day decisions, that's debatable. What isn't though is that he himself hired the people that were and chose to keep them employed even when the team was crumbling around them. How do we know this Narnia? Because there was nobody else above him until Nicholson got here. Ironically, it was only then we started seeing some changes happen.

There is no ongoing love affair between Sather and Oiler fans. As someone who reads these boards everyday, I can honestly say I have not seen his name mentioned on the Oilers board for years until you came along and high jacked this thread. You're the one obsessed with Sather, nobody else is. Nobody even thinks of him anymore.:help:

Last edited:

Evil Ernie

Nov 2, 2011
Lowe won't have his number retired because it's currently being worn by a far superior player.

I know they play different roles and positions, but Hall already has more goals that K-Lowe had his entire career. I don't know about 6 cups, but Hall is already on his way to being the far better #4 on the Oilers.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Lowe won't have his number retired because it's currently being worn by a far superior player.

I know they play different roles and positions, but Hall already has more goals that K-Lowe had his entire career. I don't know about 6 cups, but Hall is already on his way to being the far better #4 on the Oilers.

There are teams around the league with the same number retired for different players. This wouldn't be a reason not to retire the number four for Lowe. Montreal has 5 numbers retire more then once.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
The majority of the blame falls on Lowe. He got rid of Comrie, GlenX, etc. He hired Tambo, MacT and those 2 amateurs made their mistakes (Eakins, Kruger firing :help:). The only good thing he ever did was getting Pronger. He did that by signing a deal with the Devil.

Btw does anyone have a link to the Kruger firing thread? I need a good laugh
Krueger was fired through Skype. Comrie was young and he forgave and came back to Edmonton. Pronger was the idiot who wanted out and everyone believed Pronger when he said Oilers fans burned his baby crib's furniture.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Those numbers are honored, not retired.
The Canadiens have three numbers that are retired for more than one player.

#5 - Bernie Geoffrion & Guy Lapointe
#12 - Dickie Moore & Yvan Cournoyer
#16 - Henri Richard & Elmer Lach

I believe you are thinking of the Maple Leafs with the honoured numbers.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Kevin Lowe was definitely a core part of the dynasty team. Seven time all-star. Great leader on the ice.

Purely based on his accomplishments as a player I'd say the team should retire his number.

He's been such an incredible jerk as a member of the management team I'd say the team shouldn't retire his number.

Once the pain of the past decade has faded away I'd be ok with retiring his number. Not now though. Too soon after the "I know a thing or two about winning" and the "tier one fans" comments.

Last edited:

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Kevin Lowe was definitely a core part of the dynasty team. Seven time all-star. Great leader on the ice.

Purely based on his accomplishments as a player I'd say the team should retire his number.

He's been such an incredible jerk as a member of the management team I'd say the team shouldn't retire his number.

Once the pain of the past decade has faded away I'd be ok with retiring his number. Not now though. Too soon after the "I know a thing or two about winning" and the "tier one fans" comments.
His number won't be retired because fans would be pissed off if it was retired.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
His number won't be retired because fans would be pissed off if it was retired.

Hold on, when did the organization decide to start making moves to appease the fanbase
Based on everything this organization had done, they've made it very clear that they don't give a flying **** about the fans.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth

Did you read my post? Lowe does not need the money..........the Oilers previous owners and the present owner appointed Lowe to his present job on the club.

I agree he probably didn't need the money. But he wanted it, he wanted the money and more importantly he wanted the power.

Yes the EIG appointed him GM, but had Katz not taken over, his days were surely numbered. Lowe hung on to his fiefdom, because of greed, because he wanted the power, because he was arrogant. No he did not dig his fingernails in for fear of penury; he was drunk with desire and didn't give a rats arse if he was incompetent or not. As evidence, he randomly tossed employees under the bus as if the teams woes were the fault of the trainers or some distant scout. It's pitiful that he is still with the organization and shows exactly what type of man he is.

Please Oilers, never retire this guys jersey, it would be a true dishonour to those that truly deserve such respect.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Rightfully so. This man ran the Oilers into the ground, he's a disgrace.
What he did in management shouldn't interfere with what he did as a player but sadly Oilers fans would have a hissy fit if his number was ever retired. Heck certain Oilers fans would even be upset if he made the HHOF as a players. That's how much Lowe hatred there is amongst Oilers fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad