Has Florida got good return on that Bobrovsky investment or it's still not enough?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Absolutely. Big reason for the Panthers success over the past 2 years.

Also they didn't have a ton of other choices. Bobby Lu just retired, the other UFA's that year were Lehner, Varlamov, Mrazek, Mike Smith and Curtis Mcelhinney. Clearly Bob was the best of that UFA class.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I mean as far as I remember it was considered a pretty risky investment.
Cups are built on risk-taking. You gotta go all-in.

My team is currently not only unwilling to risk trading futures to improve in the present, but also refuse to execute a scorched earth rebuild and what that will do to profits.
The result? They'll just continue treading water for a few more years, making very little progress towards championships. Just existing.

I'd prefer 32nd place finishes and significant prospect pool growth over this misery.

Reactions: Shark Finn

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
You take that risk to win a cup. You're never guaranteed a cup, no matter how stacked the roster is on paper.

They got one, largely because of him.

Mission accomplished. He could suck the rest of the way, and I'm sure Panthers fans would still not regret that deal.

All that’s true but this kind of goes back to the 2023 playoffs which started with Lyons in net against the heavily favored Bruins. Then the Panthers stick around long enough for Bobrovsky to take the net and the rest is history.

It’s kind of funny to think that for this to happen, the team with Lyons in net had to build a bridge to Bobrovsky by hanging in there against Boston.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
All that’s true but this kind of goes back to the 2023 playoffs which started with Lyons in net against the heavily favored Bruins. Then the Panthers stick around long enough for Bobrovsky to take the net and the rest is history.

It’s kind of funny to think that for this to happen, the team with Lyons in net had to build a bridge to Bobrovsky by hanging in there against Boston.

He was only in because Bob was sick and Lyon did great while filling in, so Maurice stuck with him while he was hot. Once he wasn’t, in came Bob.

The team was a disaster defensively when he got here. Tallon thought Bob could make up for their shortcomings, but underestimated how bad they were. Bob was hung out to dry often. It took Zito several years to build the defense that he wanted, and to get the right forward group in place. Bob was better supported finally and the end result is a Cup.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
He was only in because Bob was sick and Lyon did great while filling in, so Maurice stuck with him while he was hot. Once he wasn’t, in came Bob.

The team was a disaster defensively when he got here. Tallon thought Bob could make up for their shortcomings, but underestimated how bad they were. Bob was hung out to dry often. It took Zito several years to build the defense that he wanted, and to get the right forward group in place. Bob was better supported finally and the end result is a Cup.

Zito moving out bad contracts should not be overlooked. He was somehow able to move out Yandle and Strålman in short order if memory serves. Impressive work by Zito transforming the team by shipping out bad contracts.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
You take that risk to win a cup. You're never guaranteed a cup, no matter how stacked the roster is on paper.

They got one, largely because of him.

Mission accomplished. He could suck the rest of the way, and I'm sure Panthers fans would still not regret that deal.
Dallas traded young Jerome Iginla for Joe Nieuwendyk. But Joe helped win a Cup. It's all that matters, like here. Panthers have a Cup with Bobrovsky, all that matters.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Panthers are willing to take risks and
won the Cup because of it.. Not only with Bob. Trading two big pieces of their core for Tkachuk (Huberdeau coming off 115 pt season) after going out early in play offs yet again....... they've won 7 of last 8 series and Stanley Cup since taking that risk.
I bet their is one other team in the Atlantic who's fans wish their management had the moxy to do that.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Zito moving out bad contracts should not be overlooked. He was somehow able to move out Yandle and Strålman in short order if memory serves. Impressive work by Zito transforming the team by shipping out bad contracts.
The best in the biz. He absolutely transformed this team. If he wanted a player, he got him. He built this team to the style he wanted with people who were considered “castoffs”

He gets a lot of cap. But his results are worth it.
Who gives him crap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad