Has Connor Bedard quietly became underrated ?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Disagree on the first two, as someone who is old enough to be around for Hull, and know how Richard was regarded in his day. There was always a massive controversy as to whether Howe or Richard was better. Lidstrom I am less sure about ...

Lidstrom I'd say was definitely not. He was consistently the best defenseman for a number of years on a stacked team, but during his time there were a few who were around his level if not even better at their best like Pronger. There were several forwards who were considered better players than Lidstrom during his entire career, heck he was rarely considered the best player on his team even between Yzerman, Fedorov and Datsyuk. That to me makes it a no brainer that he wasn't generational. He wasn't even the best Swedish player from his generation.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Just read the first messages, I feel like there is a bit of downplay on how hyped as a prospect he was, that was his

draft -1:

draft year goals:
RankPlayerTeamGoals
1Connor BedardRegina71
2Kai UchaczRed Deer50
3Jackson BerezowskiEverett48
4Chase WheatcroftPrince George47
4Josh FilmonSwift Current47

Draft year:
RankPlayerTeamPoints
1Connor BedardRegina143
2Chase WheatcroftPrince George107
3Zachary BensonWinnipeg98
4Logan StankovenKamloops97
4Riley HeidtPrince George97

23 points at the world junior your draft year, 36 in 16 games during his short career, going over Lindros 31 in 21.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Some people have loose definitions of generational. Will be a great player, won’t be generational.
I’m a big hawks fan.
This isn't about some people. The hockey establishment already deemed Bedard generational. Just as the hockey establishment deemed Lindros, Crosby and McDavid generational. The same thing happened to Bedard.

You don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it. But Bedard is already defined as generational.

Just like you didn't have to like or agree that Crosby or McDavid were generational in 2004 and 2014.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
About Crosby.

2005-06 was the highest scoring season in league history thanks to the new rules coming out of the lockout. There was no players over 100 points and one over 90 in the previous season of hockey (2003-04). In 2005-06, there was 7 players over 100 points.

GPG05.jpg

Interesting how Crosby topped out at 120 points the next year and never reached that mark again. He really nailed those new rules. As did Ovechkin. Nothing against Crosby. I am just saying, its not like Crosby had light your hair on fire stats for his first 5 years and that is why he's considered generational.

But here everyone is, watching Bedard goal totals nightly. And if he doesn't get XX goals and points by XX, he's not generational, bruh. Except no. That's not actually how it works.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: authentic

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
This isn't about some people. The hockey establishment already deemed Bedard generational. Just as the hockey establishment deemed Lindros, Crosby and McDavid generational. The same thing happened to Bedard.

You don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it. But Bedard is already defined as generational.

Just like you didn't have to like or agree that Crosby or McDavid were generational in 2004 and 2014.
The hockey establishment never deemed him generational, just because a few said it, does not mean he is. There are a lot more people in the hockey establishment than a few.
Sorry but he is not generational, as a hawk fan, it would be great, but he’s not on that tier.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
The hockey establishment never deemed him generational, just because a few said it, does not mean he is. There are a lot more people in the hockey establishment than a few.
Sorry but he is not generational, as a hawk fan, it would be great, but he’s not on that tier.
This has nothing to do with the Hawks. I can't stand the Hawks. My 2nd most hated team. Thankfully Bedard isn't putting any roots down in the city.

And no. The establishment did in fact, deem him generational. And that can be proven.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
2005-06 was the highest scoring season in league history
You posted a graph that seem to indicate this is obviously false, in the same message.

Nothing against Crosby. I am just saying, its not like Crosby had light your hair on fire stats for his first 5 years and that is why he's considered generational.
Without being Gretzky-esque or prime Jagr, he did lead the league in ppg his first 5 years in the regular season and among the people with a lot of playoff games.

Crosby january 1, 2006 to january 1, 2007 had the most points in the nhl, at a very young age:

Reactions: authentic

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
This has nothing to do with the Hawks. I can't stand the Hawks. My 2nd most hated team. Thankfully Bedard isn't putting any roots down in the city.

And no. The establishment did in fact, deem him generational. And that can be proven.
lol, funny story though

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

Sorry that they fired Sheldon.

But proven? If your conclusion from before was exceptional status in the chl equals generational... but how could you asert that's 1 to 1.

Sports terminology is stupid as obviously people don't have set meaning on these words. So noone can say something is proven with no set definitions.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
You posted a graph that seem to indicate this is obviously false, in the same message.

Without being Gretzky-esque or prime Jagr, he did lead the league in ppg his first 5 years in the regular season and among the people with a lot of playoff games.

Crosby january 1, 2006 to january 1, 2007 had the most points in the nhl, at a very young age:
In terms of total goals scored during an NHL regular season, the 2005–06 regular season turned out to be the highest-scoring in NHL history, with 7,443 goals scored in 1,230 games. The highest-scoring season in terms of goals per game still belonged to the 1992–93 regular season, in which 7,311 goals were scored in only 1,008 games.

Conor Bedard was 18 last season. Not 18 at the start of the season, but 18 for the entire season -- that is, a high school student for his entire rookie NHL season. Bedard scored at a 74-point pace overall. So, how many players, before turning 19, have scored at that pace since 1990 ?

Sidney Crosby. (In the post lockout year)

• Haha
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
In terms of total goals scored during an NHL regular season
Why would anyone look at the total numbers of goals (which will change a lot by the numbers of teams), you have a nice graph there that show you want interest you, gpg, and it clearly show 06 was not close to be the highest scoring season of all time:

Hockey reference boost post lockout scoring a bit by counting the goal winning shootout goals as a goal and yet, 2005-2006 is just out of the Top 40 season with the most goal scored per games as the #41 highest offense season in league history.

2021-2022, 2022-2023 and 2023-2024 should have had way more goals, more teams, more goal per games, I am unsure where you get that information about 2006.

As for a good sign of power at be feeling Bedard could be generational, you have the first game he had in the nhl, being against Crosby, the sit down interview, etc...

So, how many players, before turning 19, have scored at that pace since 1990 ?

McDavid before turning 19, scored 12 in 13, I would not imagine anyone else did (Ovechkin, Malkin, Lindros, Forsberg, Yashin were all a bit old rookie)

Last edited:

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
In terms of total goals scored during an NHL regular season, the 2005–06 regular season turned out to be the highest-scoring in NHL history, with 7,443 goals scored in 1,230 games. The highest-scoring season in terms of goals per game still belonged to the 1992–93 regular season, in which 7,311 goals were scored in only 1,008 games.

Conor Bedard was 18 last season. Not 18 at the start of the season, but 18 for the entire season -- that is, a high school student for his entire rookie NHL season. Bedard scored at a 74-point pace overall. So, how many players, before turning 19, have scored at that pace since 1990 ?

Sidney Crosby. (In the post lockout year)

Pace isn't as important as the pts/game relative to the league. Crosby was 6th in pts/game and Bedard was 57th...

There is a big difference between producing like a top 6 player right away vs a top 50 player.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
IMO

Rocket
Howe
Hull
Orr
Gretz
Lemieux
Lidstrom?
Crosby
Ovi
McDavid

Guys like Morenz, Shore, Beliveau, Harvey, Lafleur, Espo, Bourque, Dionne, Jagr, Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, Yzerman, Sakic, Messier, Coffey, Mackinnon, among many others, have strong cases, but fall just below the line, for me. All the guys above dominated the league for a time, and were acknowleged as the best. Ovi is the one guy you can argue, but he scored so often, for so long, that I think he belongs.

Bedard is still super young, so it's too early to say anything definitive about him(Lafleur was underwhelming in his first three years), but I don't see generational. If he can be mentioned in the same breath as the group in the paragraph, or in the Kane/Mahovlich/Perreault/Mikita tier, it would be a great accomplishment.

Great post. Also want to mention Howe took a few years to start scoring, obvi we know how his career ended up.

My thought is, like any young player, for too early to tell about Bedard either way. And arguing he's certainly generational is equally dumb as arguing he certainly won't be generational

Reactions: x Tame Impala

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Actually you could argue Crosby was better than Gretzky from 18 and a half to 19 and a half since that was basically Gretzky's rookie season. Pretty crazy really.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Actually you could argue Crosby was better than Gretzky from 18 and a half to 19 and a half since that was basically Gretzky's rookie season. Pretty crazy really.
After putting up 55 points in the first half of his rookie season, Gretzky ballooned to 82 points in the second half-- which started in the month that he turned 19.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad