Has Connor Bedard quietly became underrated ?

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
I think HF talent evaluation is quietly underrated. The question is... is it generational?

The same entities that deemed Crosby and McDavid generational, deemed Bedard generational. Hence why he piled up endorsements before he played a game

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
So your argument for him being at Crosby and McDavid's level is that other people said so 2 years ago?

Not very compelling. His body of work in the NHL simply doesn't compare 87 and 97 at the same age.

I said he projects to be better than Patrick Kane, how is that anti-Bedard? In the past I said he had 120+ point potential. How is that anti-Bedard?
Umm no. My argument is that the same people who said McDavid was generational before he was even drafted , said the same about Bedard. And they were right about McDavid.

The same people who said Crosby was generational before he was drafted, said the same about Bedard. And they were right about Crosby.

Were you around in 2004 or 2014 ? I was.

A Patrick Kane with a more elite shot is generational.

Reactions: Voight

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Umm no. My argument is that the same people who said McDavid was generational before he was even drafted , said the same about Bedard. And they were right about McDavid.

The same people who said Crosby was generational before he was drafted, said the same about Bedard. And they were right about Crosby.
So like I said, you are basing it on what some people said 2 years ago.

My man you have about a hundred posts getting into semantic debates that you don’t think he’s generational. At best it’s passive aggressive.
The overwhelming majority of which are just me defending myself from the onslaught of posters who disagree with me saying he's not a McDavid / Crosby level talent.

This is a hockey message board - when people challenge my opinions, I will engage with them to explain my position. That doesn't mean I am ant-Bedard. If anything, I was one of his earliest supporters. Go back to his early prospect threads if you don't believe me.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The overwhelming majority of which are just me defending myself from the onslaught of posters who disagree with me saying he's not a McDavid / Crosby level talent.

This is a hockey message board - when people challenge my opinions, I will engage with them to explain my position. That doesn't mean I am ant-Bedard. If anything, I was one of his earliest supporters. Go back to his early prospect threads if you don't believe me.
You also pop into Michkov threads and stuff to randomly chime in that Bedard is not generational.

Just own it. Bedard's lack of generational-ness is a topic that interests you greatly.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Once again, we are caught up in everyone having different definitions. Personally, I don't consider pre-career hype as criteria to determine if a player is considered a "generational" player (sue me). Maybe there's a conflict between "generational talent" vs "generational player". IMO, to become a "generational player" you need to prove it in the NHL BEFORE I will assign that tag to them.

Yes, Bedard came in with all the hype. But how he plays in the NHL (not Juniors) will determine how history looks at him, IMO.

So, until proven otherwise, I will look at Bedard as being a very good player, possibly an elite player....Could he become generational? Sure, but I don't look at him as one, at least not yet.

I think after this season we should be able to get a better handle on that.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
Anything less than a top-5 Art Ross finish this year and the generational tag is pretty much gone.

Gretzky year 2 = won MVP, Art Ross (He also won MVP in year 1 lol)
Mario year 2 = 2nd MVP, 2nd Art Ross (Wanye Gretzky existed)
Crosby year 2 = won MVP, Art Ross
McDavid year 2 = won MVP, Art Ross

All of those players had a much higher pts/game rookie season relative to the league as well.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Once again, we are caught up in everyone having different definitions. Personally, I don't consider pre-career hype as criteria to determine if a player is considered a "generational" player (sue me). Maybe there's a conflict between "generational talent" vs "generational player". IMO, to become a "generational player" you need to prove it in the NHL BEFORE I will assign that tag to them.

Yes, Bedard came in with all the hype. But how he plays in the NHL (not Juniors) will determine how history looks at him, IMO.

So, until proven otherwise, I will look at Bedard as being a very good player, possibly an elite player....Could he become generational? Sure, but I don't look at him as one, at least not yet.

I think after this season we should be able to get a better handle on that.
Can't disagree with this as a Hawks fan. His junior hype and WJC record breaking stats are great and all but that doesn't help my team win a Cup. He's got to show a lot more in the NHL, which I think he's completely capable of it just may take some time like a Jack Hughes or Nathan MacKinnon. Keep in mind he hasn't even played a full 82 games in his career yet.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Anything less than a top-5 Art Ross finish this year and the generational tag is pretty much gone.

Gretzky year 2 = won MVP, Art Ross (He also won MVP in year 1 lol)
Mario year 2 = 2nd MVP, 2nd Art Ross (Wanye Gretzky existed)
Crosby year 2 = won MVP, Art Ross
McDavid year 2 = won MVP, Art Ross

All of those players had a much higher pts/game rookie season relative to the league as well.
Some of these players were older in year 2 than Bedard is.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
Generational goal scorer, and no previous top 10 all-time caliber goal scorer had anywhere close to the two-way game he has. Really in a way he's a very unique player that hasn't come along before, a two-way center who can score 60-70 goals?

He's only a two-way player because of the lobbying of Toronto media. We've seen how soft he actually is on the ice. A lifetime of blown coverage and soft plays.

He's a great regular season scorer, and the NHL has seen a lot of those.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
IMO

Rocket
Howe
Hull
Orr
Gretz
Lemieux
Lidstrom?
Crosby
Ovi
McDavid

Guys like Morenz, Shore, Beliveau, Harvey, Lafleur, Espo, Bourque, Dionne, Jagr, Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, Yzerman, Sakic, Messier, Coffey, Mackinnon, among many others, have strong cases, but fall just below the line, for me. All the guys above dominated the league for a time, and were acknowleged as the best. Ovi is the one guy you can argue, but he scored so often, for so long, that I think he belongs.

Bedard is still super young, so it's too early to say anything definitive about him(Lafleur was underwhelming in his first three years), but I don't see generational. If he can be mentioned in the same breath as the group in the paragraph, or in the Kane/Mahovlich/Perreault/Mikita tier, it would be a great accomplishment.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
IMO

Rocket
Howe
Hull
Orr
Gretz
Lemieux
Lidstrom?
Crosby
Ovi
McDavid

Guys like Morenz, Shore, Beliveau, Harvey, Lafleur, Espo, Bourque, Dionne, Jagr, Trottier, Bossy, Potvin, Yzerman, Sakic, Messier, Coffey, Mackinnon, among many others, have strong cases, but fall just below the line, for me. All the guys above dominated the league for a time, and were acknowleged as the best. Ovi is the one guy you can argue, but he scored so often, for so long, that I think he belongs.

Bedard is still super young, so it's too early to say anything definitive about him(Lafleur was underwhelming in his first three years), but I don't see generational. If he can be mentioned in the same breath as the group in the paragraph, or in the Kane/Mahovlich/Perreault/Mikita tier, it would be a great accomplishment.
Good list

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Generational goal scorer, and no previous top 10 all-time caliber goal scorer had anywhere close to the two-way game he has. Really in a way he's a very unique player that hasn't come along before, a two-way center who can score 60-70 goals?

Until he does something in the post-season he’s shaping up to be Marcel Dionne.

Is he generational?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IMO

Rocket
Howe
Hull
Orr
Gretz
Lemieux
Lidstrom?
Crosby
Ovi
McDavid

Rocket, Hull nor Lidstrom were generational. Great, all time players but short of generational.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad