Has Connor Bedard quietly became underrated ?

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Honestly super disapointing start for Bedard

He is quickly falling off for projections. Dont think this is a hart/ross/lindsay/rocket contending player in his prime even at 19 with room to improve

He should be torching the league, but is only ppg in his second year.
Austin Matthews didn't exceed 100 points till his 6th year. Matthews has some size and is still soft. Bedard doesn't play soft

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Austin Matthews didn't exceed 100 points till his 6th year. Matthews has some size and is still soft. Bedard doesn't play soft
Is Bedard hard to play against? Is he fast? No. Is he physical? No. Are his skills intimidating? No? Does he control the play? No. By every measure Bedard is a soft touch for the opposition. He’s way overhyped.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Is Bedard hard to play against? Is he fast? No. Is he physical? No. Are his skills intimidating? No? Does he control the play? No. By every measure Bedard is a soft touch for the opposition. He’s way overhyped.
Young Matthews was significantly harder to play against than young Bedard just based on his ability to get to the middle of the ice.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
McDavid was 3rd in pts per game at just over a ppg, that was a league where if you were ppg you were basically a top 5 player, its not 2015 anymore.

Not to say I don't agree with you about Bedard becasue being ppg at 18/19 on a bad team is still absolutely insane. But McDavid being just "barely ppg" was top 3 in the league when he was that age. Bedard is still gonna be an all-time great though, maybe just a bit worse than McDavid which is no shame.

I still don’t see why anyone would assume he’d maybe be just a bit worse than the 5th best player of all-time. That’s like insane expectations for someone who it isn’t even a given he ends up as good as someone like Matthews or Kane.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Young Matthews was significantly harder to play against than young Bedard just based on his ability to get to the middle of the ice.

Rookie Matthews was way better than Bedard is right now, it’s not even remotely close either. This was a guy who came second in the NHL in goals with a respectable defensive game for a rookie and playing just over 17 minutes a night with other rookie wingers (Hyman, Brown and Nylander). Seriously people think it’s funny if you say he may not be better than Matthews and that’s far more likely than he attains the level of Crosby and McDavid IMO.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
you are citing his points as a measure of his equal play in yet another absurd way to discredit him
What happened to me saying he was carrying the line? Now it's equal play?

There's no discrediting being done here beyond providing evidence that he's not a generational player.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Funny to see someone collecting receipts that will prove them wrong.

He's so generational that he has the same amount of points as Seth Jones and Teravainen. And more than half of his points are secondary assists.

TT
3g 7p
6 primary points

Jones
1g 7p
3 primary points

Bedard
1g 7p
3 primary points

And he was 3rd in the league in pts/gp.

What is Bedard's rank in that metric last year?
He has 1 single less point than McDavid, who has less points than Stefan Noesen….

What a strange post :laugh:

Reactions: Brookbank

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
What happened to me saying he was carrying the line? Now it's equal play?

There's no discrediting being done here beyond providing evidence that he's not a generational player.
Do you agree Hughes isn’t very good since he isn’t even PPG this season and being out scored by Noesen?

Last edited:

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Bedard will be the best player in the NHL in about 5-6 years when mcdavid slows down a bit. It seems like he is in his own head right now. Generational? franchise? elite? ...who the hell cares. He will be a perennial MVP candidate, cup winner and a HOFer.

Give the kid a break.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
If you haven’t broken out and won the Hart, Lindsay, Art Ross, Selke, Calder, Vezina, Adams, and Conn Smythe by the time you’re eight games into your second year the organisation that drafted you is probably rife with firings and suicidal ideation.
Why is this Bedard kid not trade bait for a solid 35 year old third liner?
Cut your losses.

• Haha

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Matthews isn't a generational player.
I know. He's a tier below and it still took him 6 years.

Lindros was 19 heading into his rookie season and ended up putting up 75 points in 61 games, finishing 67th in League scoring and 22nd in points per game among players that played at least 40 games. He finished well behind Selanne in the rookie scoring race.

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
Why ? His junior record perhaps ?

Connor Bedard breaks Eric Lindros' record with 32nd point

What is most impressive about Bedard's numbers is that Lindros put up 31 points over the span of three tournaments. Bedard hasn't played in two full World Juniors yet and already has the most points ever by a Canadian.
While I agree that is impressive, you do understand at the end of the day, we care about what happens in the NHL. Something called the National Hockey league if you haven't heard of it. Bedard is nowhere close to Lindros in terms of pure talent.

But I do think Bedard will end up having a better resume than Lindros when he retires.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I'm starting to feel like Bedard isn't a generational player. He seems more like John Tavares on steroids to me...

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Why would you compare the points scored when these were completely different eras when it comes to scoring?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad