Has Connor Bedard quietly became underrated ?

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
'Generational' is a made up term of art in the sporting context. It doesn't actually mean anything, people spend way too much time debating it.
So all the hype about Mcdavid before he played an NHL game was just nonsense and didn't really mean anything ?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So all the hype about Mcdavid before he played an NHL game was just nonsense and didn't really mean anything ?
Even as a Hawks fan I don't see the value in the label. It doesn't make me more or less excited to have Bedard on the squad. Why ruin watching him for the next 20 years putting expectations on him of being a Crosby level player?

Reactions: Bombshell11

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
This is the season he needs to prove it while being the third youngest player in the entire league?

Clown take.

The OP is comparing Bedard to Crosby and McDavid. Look at what those two did at the same age.

In the grand scheme of things, no....other than get our attention. What matters is how they perform AFTER they arrive in the NHL.

Last edited:

Crow

May 19, 2014
Imagine thinking Bedard hasn't made his teammates better. lol
I almost replied to that but I’m just done with some people in this thread. Will have to wait and see what happens. Not going to convince anyone. Don’t think these guys actually watch at this point. Sick of their weird no true Scotsman fallacies.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
McDavid put up 13 less points at the same age, had a very slightly higher goals/GP, playing with much better players.

McDavid played 24 fewer games in a scoring environment that is the lowest over the past twenty years, while finishing 3rd in PPG. There’s an outside possibility that if he didn’t miss 37 games, his trajectory probably might have seen him hit 95 points in that environment, which would have been a second place finish. Maybe. We’ll never know, but it’s not important since he came out and won the Hart, Lindsay, and Art Ross the very next season and has one of the most decorated trophy cabinets through the first half of one’s career ever.

I’m high on Bedard and I think his trajectory as a rookie was hampered by his mid-season injury, but he wasn’t as good as McDavid and never will be. I find some points useful like how the Blackhawks 177 goals in a higher scoring environment would still rank last in 2015-2016, but if one watched both players in their rookie campaigns, it’s obvious who was better and will be better going forward.

And for those who think I will never lift up Crosby, Bedard has little chance of touching his career either.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
McDavid played 24 fewer games in a scoring environment that is the lowest over the past twenty years, while finishing 3rd in PPG. There’s an outside possibility that if he didn’t miss 37 games, his trajectory probably might have seen him hit 95 points in that environment, which would have been a second place finish. Maybe. We’ll never know, but it’s not important since he came out and won the Hart, Lindsay, and Art Ross the very next season and has one of the most decorated trophy cabinets through the first half of one’s career ever.

I’m high on Bedard and I think his trajectory as a rookie was hampered by his mid-season injury, but he wasn’t as good as McDavid and never will be. I find some points useful like how the Blackhawks 177 goals in a higher scoring environment would still rank last in 2015-2016, but if one watched both players in their rookie campaigns, it’s obvious who was better and will be better going forward.

And for those who think I will never lift up Crosby, Bedard has little chance of touching his career either.

"I lift up Crosby by putting Bedard down"

It doesn't work that way. Lmfao

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It absolutely was. Lindros had the talent to maybe become a generational NHL player, but as you said, injuries prevented him from realizing that. I certainly don't put Lindros in the Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, McDavid group.

Even with perfect health I'm not sure he ends up as a generational player. Look at at the seasons when he was indeed healthy, he could put up points with the best of them but never separated himself from the pack the way others did. Of course his game wasn't all offence, but my point stands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad