Prospect Info: Hartford Wolf Pack/Bloomington Bison Thread: Part XV

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It makes no sense to call up Berard unless there is a long term thing to someone in the top 9.
Give him a taste this year: 3-4 games that has been a thing with the prospects here for at least a few years. Doesn’t have to be linked to a long(er) term absence by a regular.

Reactions: cwede

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I just don’t think the Rangers will have a top-6 opening in the foreseeable future - I think both Kreider and Panarin will get at least short extensions here after their current deals and Perreault is probably already ahead of Othmann too. It’s not easy to reinvent your game but it would probably make sense for Othmann to style himself after Berard because if he can - he’d have an advantage with his size and shot.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
He's 22. Same age as Rempe and Mancini.

Personally I'd have him ahead of Othmann at this point....though Brennan does have some advantages....a more lethal shot from distance and more size and strength. Berard is more of a buzzsaw type.....he looks up to Marchand and I think there's a similar game but we should always caveat comparing a young developing player to an established star player who potentially could be a HOF'er one day. My guess is Berard is going to break in as a bottom liner with a ceiling right now as a 3rd line NHL player. Could he break through that ceiling and go higher? He might but that might be 3/4/5 years off.

I'd note that in the second rookie game against the Flyers he was tossed for spearing Ryder Boulton--5 for that and another 10 for the game misconduct. Normally I would look at something like that as bad. That said he does that to the Flyers toughest player (though if I remember Berard was wearing a full bubble so there wasn't really a question whether they were going to fight) and it's something pretty much from the playbook of the aforesaid Mr. Marchand or at least throughout his 20's. Basically Berard showing very much a willingness to be an asshole to play against. Something like that will make you a target at times though so it does also call for some survivor skills. So for him to get to where Marchand is now will also be a test of time.
Didn't he also have a late hit at the whistle too? Rangers need some spunk. If he becomes half as good as Marchand I'd take it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad