Hart Trophy Tournament (Post 2000's) Round 2: 2012 Malkin vs 2015 Price

Which Hart Trophy Winner had the better season?

• Total voters

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
MATCHUP #4 (Round 2): Evgeni Malkin (2012) vs Carey Price (2015)

Evgeni Malkin (2011-12):

76 GP 50 G 59 A 109 Points | 1st in Scoring, 2nd in Goals, 3rd in Assists

Carey Price (2014-15):
66 GP 44 Wins 1.96 GAA .933 Sv% 9 Shutouts | 1st in GSAA (37), 1st in Sv%, Vezina Trophy, Ted Lindsay Trophy

Round 2 Matchups:
Sakic 01
vs Forsberg 03 Thread
Thornton 06 vs Kucherov 19 (Still active) Thread
Crosby 07 vs Ovechkin 08 Thread
Malkin 12 vs Price 15
Draisaitl 20 vs McDavid 2023
McDavid 21 (Awarded Bye Week)

Round 1 Results

Last edited:

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Looks like Thornton might've won his matchup, after time expired.
Oh wow, hadn't checked it since yesterday lol. Good catch, thanks

Just in case anyone's wondering, the votes for each matchup aren't finalized until the round as a whole is over, the results in the OP's are just snapshots of how things currently look (usually I'll put "Still Active" if there's less than a 10% margin). So feel free to continue voting/discussing the matchups as the Round goes on. If a season retakes the lead, I'll update the results in the OPs.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldenKnight

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It’s easily Price to me but I don’t see him getting any love here.
I think it's an easy Malkin but then again I don't know goalies well enough and they are often products in part of their teams as well.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I voted Price. I've often said this season by Malkin tends to get overrated. Top end competition was pretty weak that year, so his season stands out a bit more. It's still one of the better seasons in this tournament, but some posters have made ridiculous claims about it in other threads, about how it's #1 or something....no.

In contrast - Price's impact on the Habs was gigantic. It's hard for fans who don't follow Habs as closely to properly understand his impact sometimes.

With Price 2014 playoffs - Habs on route to finals. He gets injured? They're out right away to NYR in a whimper

With Price in 2015 season - top of division

With Price at start of 2016 season - #1 team in league. He gets injured? Habs go from #1 team to dead last in league without Price.

Penguins have managed to play well, win games and succeeed even when Malkin (and/or Crosby) was injured in their primes. Not so with Price and Habs.

I think this is a really close one between Malkin and Price, but voted Price. I'm sure Malkin will still win.

I think it's an easy Malkin but then again I don't know goalies well enough and they are often products in part of their teams as well.
Saying Carey Price was a product of his team is one of the most hilarious things I've ever read. It's literally the opposite lol.

Elite goalie season can never have the same impact as an elite center season.

Huh? Even if you ignore Malkin/Price altogether that's a weird statement. Elite goalie can have a much bigger impact on a team in a game, season, series, etc.

Maybe you meant to say a star goalie is less valuable as an asset than an elite #1C, which I agree with. But that's mostly because goalies are usually inconsistent and unreliable. Not because they're not impactful on a team.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I voted Price. I've often said this season by Malkin tends to get overrated. Top end competition was pretty weak that year, so his season stands out a bit more. It's still one of the better seasons in this tournament, but some posters have made ridiculous claims about it in other threads, about how it's #1 or something....no.

In contrast - Price's impact on the Habs was gigantic. It's hard for fans who don't follow Habs as closely to properly understand his impact sometimes.

With Price 2014 playoffs - Habs on route to finals. He gets injured? They're out right away to NYR in a whimper

With Price at start of 2016 season - #1 team in league. He gets injured? Habs go from #1 team to dead last in league without Price.

Penguins have managed to play well, win games and succeeed even when Malkin (and/or Crosby) was injured in their primes. Not so with Price and Habs.

I think this is a really close one between Malkin and Price, but voted Price. I'm sure Malkin will still win.

Saying Carey Price was a product of his team is one of the most hilarious things I've ever read. It's literally the opposite lol.

Huh? Even if you ignore Malkin/Price altogether that's a weird statement. Elite goalie can have a much bigger impact on a team in a game, season, series, etc.

Maybe you meant to say a star goalie is less valuable as an asset than an elite #1C, which I agree with. But that's mostly because goalies are usually inconsistent and unreliable. Not because they're not impactful on a team.

Top end competition sucked worse in 14-15.

I also get the feeling this is about the quality of the player not the value of the season.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Is it really fair to look at seasons before and after to eveluate indivudual Hart trophies though?

I say this with little confidnce that we can do these polls with any degree of accuracy as we are compring different seasons wirth different landscapes and is it really Mlakin's fault that other players ahd down years?

That's not what I said but it's a general notion yes, this is what I said.

I mean this is generally true right, guys like Hasek aside.

But like I said goalies are hard to evaluate independent of their teams.

Who is to say that Dubnyk wasn't more valuable than Price that season although he played in 11 less games.

I'm not saying that Dubnyk was more valuable but his impact was Joe Thornton like after going to minny with his stat line and he was obviously very good on a very poor Arizona team before moving over.

That's why the measurement of goalies is so difficult and it's hard to compare them to position players and they also have their own trophy as do Dmen.

Agree here.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Price wasn't a product of that team, Price WAS that team. If Montreal scored 2 goals in a game that year they were almost certainly winning it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Price wasn't a product of that team, Price WAS that team.
He was the best player on the team sure but no player is ever the Team.
If Montreal scored 2 goals in a game that year they were almost certainly winning it.
The playoffs have zero bearing on the Hart or any regular season awards.

Malkin in 12 has a stronger case for the better Hart, Price has become nostalgically better than his overall record indicates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad