Value of: Hansen for Filppula

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Hansen would not need to be bought out.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, but in 2017 with three top-six forwards to resign we simply can't afford to pay a third liner over thirty years of age whose contract expires a year later $2.5M. Buying out Filppula saves us almost $1M compared with Hansen's salary and we're going to need every penny of that to resign the likes of Drouin, Johnson, and Palat.

Frankly I'd be perfectly happy to spend a first-round pick to clear Filppula's entire cap hit, but not with salary coming back unless it expires next summer and certainly not with us adding a talented RHD prospect.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
The Lightning arent giving away their first to get rid of Filppula. We will keep him for now.

I think we would. It'll almost certainly be a low first, the player we would have taken wouldn't have helped us for at least a few years anyway while our Cup window is open now, and not having to buy Filppula out next summer saves us $1.67M in cap space which would be huge for us.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Pittsburgh would trade for Hansen, and we wouldn't make you take on a bad contract to do it.

That said, it'd probably be contingent on you being out of playoff contention, as the cost will be too high before that point.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Did I just step into crazy land where Hansen's contract is not considered exceptional value?

I've already addressed that. It doesn't matter how good his contract is if it'll cost us a top six forward. We simply can't afford to pay $2.5M to a third line RW - especially not when we're already paying $5.8M to one right now.

eviohh26*

so why sign Eriksson?

The Canucks are trying to contend, lol.

Eriksson is a winger.
Filp is a Center. And not a great 1 at that . 6million 3rd line 31 point center. We got better in horvat for cheaper.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Eriksson is a winger.
Filp is a Center. And not a great 1 at that . 6million 3rd line 31 point center. We got better in horvat for cheaper.

[mod]

Flip is both, but Eriksson is better by far at what he does than anything Flip does.

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
Eriksson is a winger.

[mod]

True rebuilding teams dont hand out long-term contracts like the Canucks just did, they are trying to contend.

(mod)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
so why sign Eriksson?

The Canucks are trying to contend, lol.

What are they suppose to do? Be like Edmonton and gift top line minutes to young players because that's obviously how development works right? Our GM may think he is contending, but he isn't.

It's an unnecessary trade regardless, if we are contending or not. Filppula doesn't make us much better, if at all. If Filppula just had an offyear last year, or is declining, I don't know, but it seems pointless of a move to make especially with Hansen being younger and cheaper as is.

Major Happy*

May 2, 2016
What are they suppose to do? Be like Edmonton and gift top line minutes to young players because that's obviously how development works right? Our GM may think he is contending, but he isn't.

It's an unnecessary trade regardless, if we are contending or not. Filppula doesn't make us much better, if at all. If Filppula just had an offyear last year, or is declining, I don't know, but it seems pointless of a move to make especially with Hansen being younger and cheaper as is.

GM thinks hes contending = making moves like this

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Filppula makes no sense from Vancouver's POV - we aren't contending. Hansen provides just as much, if not more value to us now.

I could see Filppula making a little bit of sense as a guy Vancouver could get a serviceable year out of as a middle-6 LWer, with a low acquisition cost.

It's moving Hansen for him that makes no sense. If the Canucks are taking on Filppula, it's to help however much/or little he can right now. He's not going to help as much as Hansen though, so it'd just be downgrading...while taking on more cap.

There isn't really anyone else on the Canucks roster that makes sense to send back instead though, to make the cap work. Burrows maybe...but then, i'd sooner keep Burrows with his character and ties to Vancouver, plus his ability to play down the lineup more effectively over Filppula...especially with a year less on his contract.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I could see Filppula making a little bit of sense as a guy Vancouver could get a serviceable year out of as a middle-6 LWer, with a low acquisition cost.

It's moving Hansen for him that makes no sense. If the Canucks are taking on Filppula, it's to help however much/or little he can right now. He's not going to help as much as Hansen though, so it'd just be downgrading...while taking on more cap.

There isn't really anyone else on the Canucks roster that makes sense to send back instead though, to make the cap work. Burrows maybe...but then, i'd sooner keep Burrows with his character and ties to Vancouver, plus his ability to play down the lineup more effectively over Filppula...especially with a year less on his contract.

Agreed with you on all points. Filppula is a serviceable player, and a productive one at that, I'm not trying to skew the perspective of him being a burden of some sorts, but it doesn't make sense to move Hansen for him, or just about anyone else to make TB want to trade him for.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

Lol your arguments are invalid when you can't even realize the management team has to do what ownership wants, as you know that guy signs his paycheck and all that. But hey keep trolling, cuz it's not obvious at all.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Or maybe just maybe he wants to develop our young core in a competitive environment? But hey that doesn't make any sense right? Better to sell off everything and suck for ten years and hope we luck out and get a McJeesus right? Ask Oilers fans how fun that was.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
Agreed with you on all points. Filppula is a serviceable player, and a productive one at that, I'm not trying to skew the perspective of him being a burden of some sorts, but it doesn't make sense to move Hansen for him, or just about anyone else to make TB want to trade him for.

Frankly Tampa would sooner trade you Filppula for a bag of pucks than for a player. The last thing the Lightning need is more salary on the books, even if that salary is in the form of a good player. We have plenty of good players already; our problem right now is keeping them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad