Value of: Hamilton for Copp Chiarot plus (July 2025)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This is July 1st 2025 when Hamilton loses his full NMC, gets his big signing bonus from New Jersey, and Luke Hughes needs a big raise as an RFA. Hamilton will be moved by NJD before his contract ends in 2028... the only questions are where and when. With Seamus Casey looking really good in the NHL, next summer is maybe the right time.

to Detroit Red Wings
Dougie Hamilton (3y @ $9.0000m)
retaining 10% on Copp (2y @ $0.5625m)
TOTAL CAP = $9.5625m

to New Jersey Devils
Andrew Copp (10% retained) (2y @ $5.0625m)
Ben Chiarot (1y $4.7500m)
DET adds good pick(s) and/or prospect(s)

TOTAL CAP = $9.8125m

You tell me what DET needs to add.
"Value Of" thread... what is the Value Of what DET needs to add here?

CAP SPACE SHORT-TERM

Detroit looks like they're saving $0.25m in cap, but they'll have to replace Copp on the roster with a forward who will cost league minimum or higher, so they actually end up adding $0.5m to $1m of cap.

Copp replaces one of the Devils UFA forwards (Tatar, Bastian, Lazar) and the trade ends up around cap-neutral for New Jersey. Possibly they save a few hundred thousand dollars.

CAP SPACE LONG-TERM

Detroit adds a bit of cap, but it's money well-spent as opposed to overpaying Chiarot.

New Jersey is able to turn a big 3 year contract into a 2 year bottom 6 forward and a 1 year overpaid depth D. The money comes off the books sooner which is needed to give Hughes, Nemec and Casey raises. NJD doesn't love the idea of paying that much for a 7D for one season, but there's compensation paid and the salary is moved. Hamilton is the best player in the trade as well. NJD also recieve pick(s)/prospect(s) considering these factors.

PROSPECT PIPELINE TO NHL

Copp is no longer needed, and players like Kasper and Danielson will be along very shortly to replace him on the roster. Bolstering the D is more important.

Casey needs an every-day roster spot at RD, meaning one of Hamilton Pesce Nemec will be going. Hamilton is the one not in the long term plans. Also from a cap perspective, the young Devils D are getting raises soon. Hughes next summer, Nemec the summer after that and Casey the summer after that. Hamilton isn't in the long-term plans and has a big salary. It's time to move that out so the kids can get paid.

AFTER TRADE BLUELINES 25/26

Dillon - Nemec
Hughes - Pesce
Siegenthaler - Casey
Chiarot (1y expiring)

Edvinsson - Seider
( Wallinder / Buium ) - Hamilton
Johansson - Holl (1y expiring)
Gustafsson (1y expiring)
Where is the cap savings?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I don't know why Red Wings are in this proposal. We don't want to give up the assets that Devils would want for Hamilton. And Devils would not want Copp and Chiarot back. Another classic bad trade proposal so you never disappoint there but could you please stop now?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TBF1972

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Devils, taking on 2 players they don't need to unload Hamilton. I also don't see the need for Detroit to get Dougie other than getting out of 2 questionable contracts.
I do think the Devils will look to trade Hamilton, but Detroit doesn't make much sense.

I don't know why Red Wings are in this proposal. We don't want to give up the assets that Canes would want for Hamilton. And Canes would not want Copp and Chiarot back. Another classic bad trade proposal so you never disappoint there but could you please stop now?
Canes?

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the Devils, taking on 2 players they don't need to unload Hamilton. I also don't see the need for Detroit to get Dougie other than getting out of 2 questionable contracts.
I do think the Devils will look to trade Hamilton, but Detroit doesn't make much sense.

Canes?

I had a long hard day :laugh: Devils*

• Haha
Reactions: HugeInTheShire

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I don't know why Red Wings are in this proposal. We don't want to give up the assets that Canes would want for Hamilton. And Devils would not want Copp and Chiarot back. Another classic bad trade proposal so you never disappoint there but could you please stop now?
the canes?

I had a long hard day :laugh: Devils*
the devil should make it harder for you

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I think we are 2 years away from Dougie potentially being traded. I could see it for the 26-27 season, but not likely to be before unless the team makes the active decision to basically choose Kovacevic over Dougie, and if you do that the team is lowkey hurting for offense on the blue line. I'm not sure that the team immediately incorporates both Casey and Nemec full time into the lineup next year.

I don't want to get too lost in the actual proposal that is being made here because you're asking what would have to be added to make it work and I'd just say that as a Devils fan, the structure of the package just doesn't appeal to me. I value the freed up cap space of Dougie more so than I do Copp / Chiarot at that point. In two years with Copp on the last year of his deal, that may appeal to me as a one yeah Haula replacement, but that's the best I can do there. With Dougie, I think you're just taking the futures and moving on. If you have to take some salary back, I don't think it's going to be to even out the entire Dougie cap hit.

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
How would you feel about :

( July 2025 )

ANDREW COPP (10% retained)
BEN CHIAROT
2026 DET 1ST (top 5 protected)
William Wallinder

for

DOUGIE HAMILTON
The value makes sense, I just don’t like Hamilton as a player. We don’t need more questionable D

Although it’s tempting to rid of Copp

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Probably not a good fit for either Detroit and New Jersey. Detroit doesn't need that level of salary cap added to their existing roster and the value New Jersey would want would be too much.

Good idea, just not between these two teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad