Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Yep. The assumption is that Luff is gone but nothing is confirmed. He was at the first preseason game in Ancaster (wasn't dressed)

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Matt Luff is unlikely to return--since he's signed by LA, he's headed for the Ontario(California) Reign of the AHL.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Donofrio did not do a good job vs. the Colts, giving up 3 goals on 16 shots.. and Ceci's now getting lit up as well. At this point, a move for a veteran is a strong possibility-though Donofrio would be the fave if a OA/free agent goalie is brought in between now and the 23rd due to his younger age and the fact he's already signed by Hamilton and more likely to be with the team beyond this season, unlike Ceci...

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
While it's not a good game, you don't hit the panic button on one bad preseason game. Prior to today, Ceci and Donofrio played well. One problem today has been discipline. 3/5 goals have been on the penalty kill and Hamilton has had 9 penalties in 2 periods so far....that's almost half of the game they've had a guy in the penalty box.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
While it's not a good game, you don't hit the panic button on one bad preseason game. Prior to today, Ceci and Donofrio played well. One problem today has been discipline. 3/5 goals have been on the penalty kill and Hamilton has had 9 penalties in 2 periods so far....that's almost half of the game they've had a guy in the penalty box.

Barrie hasn't been any better--of course, that club is still rebuilding, so it's understandable. Hamilton is a bit more inexcusable--this is a team that is expected to be in the chase for the Memorial Cup, so Gruden's going to need to have a little talk with his team..

Unless Fulcher gets hurt in the next few days before the opener on the 23rd, as he'll be back from NHL camp, one of Ceci or Donofrio will go regardless.. no way the Bulldogs can carry 3 goalteners to start the season.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Players missing tonight:

Fulcher (Detroit)
Candella (Vancouver)
Webb (Detroit)
Studenic (New Jersey)
Entwistle (Arizona)
Gleason (Recovering)
Roberts (???)

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Players missing tonight:

Fulcher (Detroit)
Candella (Vancouver)
Webb (Detroit)
Studenic (New Jersey)
Entwistle (Arizona)
Gleason (Recovering)
Roberts (???)

Most if not all of those players at NHL camps should be back on Saturday.. as none are expected to make their NHL clubs. No idea on Gleason or Roberts..

Fulcher likely starts the opener--who backs him up is the real question. We'll see what happens through the week as the Bulldogs finalize the roster.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Riley Webb back with the Bulldogs as Detroit sent him back. Fulcher still with Detroit. So it's still possible both Donofrio and Ceci stay for at least another week.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
It's great to hear Fulcher is moving on to the Red Wings main camp. Not bad for a guy one fan described as "garbage".

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
It's great to hear Fulcher is moving on to the Red Wings main camp. Not bad for a guy one fan described as "garbage".

Still, considering the expectations the Bulldogs have this season, they need another Dawson Carty type at the backup spot, or Donofrio/Ceci to step up, or in Donofrio's case, steal the starting job away from Fulcher.

The reason Fulcher is still at camp is because most likely to have extra training camp bodies at Red Wings camp (61 players are still at camp with exhibition games set to start) Fulcher is going to have to step it up this season. An .891 SV% like last season isn't going to get him more than an AHL, ECHL or overseas contract when he graduates.. he's well behind McCollum, Coreau and Machovsky on Detroit's depth chart.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Still, considering the expectations the Bulldogs have this season, they need another Dawson Carty type at the backup spot, or Donofrio/Ceci to step up, or in Donofrio's case, steal the starting job away from Fulcher.

The reason Fulcher is still at camp is because most likely to have extra training camp bodies at Red Wings camp (61 players are still at camp with exhibition games set to start) Fulcher is going to have to step it up this season. An .891 SV% like last season isn't going to get him more than an AHL, ECHL or overseas contract when he graduates.. he's well behind McCollum, Coreau and Machovsky on Detroit's depth chart.
If he can earn any of the bolded, he's doing very good. Remember, all of those options are a step above CIS, which is where most players and goalies, including Carty, went. I highly doubt Detroit hung onto Fulcher just because they need bodies. If that was the case they'd bring in somebody local from a beer league and at least get some PR out of it. NHL teams don't waste their own or anyone else's time if they don't deserve to remain on a roster. Yes, he will get sent back sometime but let's not discredit why he's there.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Vancouver sent Candella back to the Bulldogs, and Studenic will also return to Hamilton, as New Jersey also sent him back.

Entwistle also sent to Hamilton from Arizona.

Only Fulcher remains with an NHL team--though he'll be sent back in the next day or two, which will require the Bulldogs to make a decision regarding Ceci and Donofrio.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
So what's the word on Candella. We just sent you guys some 2nds and 3rds for him. good top 4 guy?

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised to see Cole end up on the Wolves top pairing. I knew someone had to go with the log-jam but 4 early draft picks is a nice haul.

The current Bulldogs back-end(in no particular order):

Lemcke (97) Walters (97)

Templeton (97) Hanley (98)

Gleason (98) Webb (99)/ McCourt (00)

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
So what's the word on Candella. We just sent you guys some 2nds and 3rds for him. good top 4 guy?
He's a good defenceman. Can't say a bad thing about him and his game. In my opinion, last year I thought he plateaued from his 15-16 season (which he really improved that year). Last year I didn't see much improvement but he didn't regress either.

Overall he's a good two-way dman. Isn't afraid to hit but isn't a fighter. Good character too. One area where I think he has potential is if he uses his shot more from the point, I think he could improve his scoring.

Like Duke Guy says, Hamilton has quite a log jam on D. He could become a top pairing dman with the Wolves.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Good return for Candella. With the Bulldogs set to lose 3-D-men, Bitten and likely Studenic and Saigeon after 2018, they need the picks to reload.. it's also possible they're accumulating draft picks to make upgrades before Opening Night or the trade deadline, as this team is expected to be a Memorial Cup contender this year.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs roster as of 9/20 (not finalized yet probably pending what they do with Donofrio and Ceci). D'Agostino and Van Loon were cut. 2 players still need to be cut before Opening Night.. likely a forward and a goaltender, plus they're waiting for Fulcher to return from Red Wings camp.

http://hamiltonbulldogs.com/roster/1/60

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
Tough to see a familiar face in Candella go but I understand the move. Hope he does well with the Wolves.

bulldogsbaby

Jul 2, 2017
Hamilton, ON
"The Bulldogs will start the regular-season without forward Mackenzie Entwistle, who suffered a rib injury while attending training camp with the Arizona Coyotes last week. It's expected the injury will take three to four weeks to heal."

- Teri @ The Spectator

Was anyone else unaware of this? I know I was

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Can Import pick Joni Ikonen still join the team this year or is he locked in with his Finnish club?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Can Import pick Joni Ikonen still join the team this year or is he locked in with his Finnish club?

Likely no.. and he's probably not going to report to Hamilton anyway, as Montreal(who drafted him in the 2017 NHL draft) probably doesn't want him anywhere near Hamilton.. especially with the fact he's eligible to go to Laval (AHL) next season, being an import.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Likely no.. and he's probably not going to report to Hamilton anyway, as Montreal(who drafted him in the 2017 NHL draft) probably doesn't want him anywhere near Hamilton.. especially with the fact he's eligible to go to Laval (AHL) next season, being an import.

isnt one of the owners of the canadians the owner of the bulldogs?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I would think that in theory he could since they have his junior rights in North America. I don't know how it works if he's already started in Europe. However, after he was drafted his agent was quick to post on social media that Ikonen won't be coming. I assume he will remain in Europe unless Montreal wants him in the AHL.

Not sure why Montreal wouldn't want him anywhere near Hamilton when they have prospects across the CHL...including Hamilton. The baseless assumptions get very tiresome as they often come with a negative connotation towards Hamilton. Remember that Michael Andlauer is a part owner of the Montreal Canadiens.

I agree that he's likely not coming to Hamilton, but solely based on his agent saying that Ikonen won't be coming to the OHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $865.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark