Hackett vs Wilson blame game

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
The Broncos flopping this season has been primarily due to Nathaniel Hackett being a historically bad HC and Russell Wilson being a trade bust at QB. Their defense has actually been great. I'd be curious to hear from you guys what your opinions are in terms of how much blame you think Hackett and Wilson deserve relative to each other. IMO both deserve a large chunk of blame, but I think Hackett deserve more. To what degree I'm unsure of though.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
And the problem with the Broncos refusing to make a coaching change, is they’re going to go into the offseason with less of an answer about Wilson.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
In terms of them not seeing what Wilson could do with the team without Hackett?
Yeah, just to see if this is somehow tied to the game plan and communication with Wilson. We see in-season coaching changes change player performance all the time.

If a new voice gets more out of Wilson, it doesn’t fix this season, but it would make you feel better about next season. On the other hand, if a new coach also can’t get anything out of Wilson, maybe the problem is more terrifying in terms of wondering if Wilson is cooked.

Reactions: joestevens29

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
They are both atrocious. Their defense leads the league in points allowed per game, if they had just a competent offense they could potentially win a superbowl. that's how wonderful their defense has been.

Reactions: Super Fadio Bro

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I've seen Wilson do enough bad things this season that the blame should fall on both of them. I've regularly seen him check down to guys 1 or 2 yards in front of him even on third down, seen him run out of bounds short of the sticks on third down, there's a lot of things that you could call business decisions. Business decisions are fine when you're winning football games and they're fine when you're getting blown out. When you're down a couple points and you're making these decisions it's hard to play QB on a winning football team, even if you have a good coach. He has a 60% completion percentage, 8 TD's. That doesn't happen just because you have a bad coach.

Reactions: Voight

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Yeah, just to see if this is somehow tied to the game plan and communication with Wilson. We see in-season coaching changes change player performance all the time.

If a new voice gets more out of Wilson, it doesn’t fix this season, but it would make you feel better about next season. On the other hand, if a new coach also can’t get anything out of Wilson, maybe the problem is more terrifying in terms of wondering if Wilson is cooked.
I agree. Wilson's contract makes them stuck with him no matter what, but seeing whether he really is cooked vs it it's simply Hackett is important for their roster construction going forward.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hackett looks like a hack, and Wilson looks cooked.

At least a head coaching mistake can be easily rectified, especially with an owner with borderline infinite money.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Theres been elite QBs who still performed with a bad coach.

Lies on both of them although I do think the Broncos got a past his prime Version of Wilson.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think the blame is on both, but I also get the feeling that Wilson just doesn't care anymore. He's already got a ring, he already established that he can be a franchise level QB, now he got paid stupid money and really doesn't have to work at it anymore.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I think the blame is on both, but I also get the feeling that Wilson just doesn't care anymore. He's already got a ring, he already established that he can be a franchise level QB, now he got paid stupid money and really doesn't have to work at it anymore.
I don't buy this.

Wilson has low-key one of the biggest egos in the game IMO. He might not have always had it but I do think he has it now. He never met a camera he didn't love, those guys want to perform maybe not for the team but for their personal brands, and Wilson is very concerned with his personal brand.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Hackett never should have been hired in the first place.

But Wilson looks like a huge mistake. Still not as bad as Herschel Walker though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With all of his talk about legacy I don’t think he’s given up on his career.
Question is whether he can swallow his ego and accept that he’s not a pure pocket passer. He needs to roll out and play his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad