Post-Game Talk: Habs win in Philly by the skin of their teeth

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Their AAV is not hamstringing the team in anyway.
That wasn't the context I was discussing, but nevertheless, couldn't disagree more.

12M$ could easily have been spent for better roster utility the past two summers... I'm honestly shocked anyone would debate that.

It’s not an exaggeration look at that Evans line analytics vs opposition and Gallaghers 5-on-5 analytics..
Analytics are a nice complimentary tool. They don't capture the full picture, this isn't Moneyball.
Oh yeah don’t forget Andersons contribution to the #3 PK in the league thus far
Anderson is the 4th forward in PK ice time fyi, again here you exaggerate his impact.

And...

Dallas, top pk. Top 4 fwds on PK combined salary = 3.5M

Nashville, #2PK. Top 4fwds on PK combined salary 5.6M.

But tell me again how Anderson's salary, for what he brings, isn't an issue lol

It's fine to acknowledge that he & Gally are providing decent depth forward play (I'd still call it mediocre), but that doesn't change the reality that in a cap system, paying 12M$ for what they bring isn't great.... And to my first point, MSL has perhaps the weakest over 25 talent to work with in the league (maybe 2nd to SJ)

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd put Kapanen on the second. He's better without the puck than Heineman and provides a right hand option for faceoffs.
I'm not in love with 3 right shots on the top line. Caufield is rolling and Dach seems to be getting better. Suzuki can play with with anyone. I'd try to spread them out:

Heineman - Suzuki - Slafkovsky
Caufield - Newhook - Dach

Seems balanced overall. Two lefties with a RHC on the 1st line. Two righties with a LHC on the 2nd line. Two strong guys with Suzuki take some harder matchups while the 2nd line gets easier matchups.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He's still who he is offensively but he's starting to apply his strengths to benefit the team in other ways. He's blocking shots and really being hard to play against as a defender too. Anderson's will has never been in question, but maybe they are finally getting through to him in terms of his approach. He's definitely playing differently and it's nice to see.
I've liked Anderson this year. Set aside the inflated contract, just looking at his play. I do wish he'd lay out some more hits, but I wonder if his shoulder is bothering him.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I've liked Anderson this year. Set aside the inflated contract, just looking at his play. I do wish he'd lay out some more hits, but I wonder if his shoulder is bothering him.

It is noticeable how he's almost avoiding contact.

Several times this game he went to the boards and pulled up instead of finishing his check.

He's a shell of the player he was in his brief peak.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
It is noticeable how he's almost avoiding contact.

Several times this game he went to the boards and pulled up instead of finishing his check.

He's a shell of the player he was in his brief peak.
He's been good on the PK and I think his mistakes are being exaggerated. If he made half his salary, I'm sure popular opinion would be far different.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'd put Kapanen on the second. He's better without the puck than Heineman and provides a right hand option for faceoffs.
I mean the Evans line is the 2nd line. To me, Kapanen is struggling as he's playing to survive. Should go back to the SHL when we got more guys back.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He's been good on the PK and I think his mistakes are being exaggerated. If he made half his salary, I'm sure popular opinion would be far different.

Meh... Armia is a better player making a bit more than 1/2 his salary, and he catches a similar amount of flak.

Fair or not, players with those kinds of physical tools create high expectations. The salary (& term), and brief stints of higher impact exacerbates it, to be sure.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Just watching the highlights. Some things that stand out:
Hutson so close off the post from his 1st.
Mailloux playing well!
1st line is finally alive (put Slaf back on the wing when he's back though).
Evans having a good start to the season. So is Gallagher in his own way.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Who would have thought we would have the same record as the Leafs after 9 games?

Edit : and the Bruins?

Edit 2 : and the Wings?

Edit 3 : and the Sabres?

Edit 4 : and just one point behind Tampa?

Just 24 hours and the narrative has changed completely. It's a good thing we didn't fire MSL, send both Monty and Primeau to waivers, trade away Dach, Newhook, Armia, Gallagher and Matheson, send down Hutson, Mailloux, Heineman and Kapanen and strip Suzuki of his C.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Once our defense prospects like Reinbacher and Mailloux are ready, i'd definitively give Xhakej a try on the 4th line like Big Buff

4th line : Tuch - Xhakej - Xhakej

Hutson - Andersson
Guhle - Mailloux
Matheson - Reinbacher

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Who would have thought we would have the same record as the Leafs after 9 games?

Edit : and the Bruins?

Edit 2 : and the Wings?

Edit 3 : and the Sabres?

Edit 4 : and just one point behind Tampa?

Just 24 hours and the narrative has changed completely. It's a good thing we didn't fire MSL, send both Monty and Primeau to waivers, trade away Dach, Newhook, Armia, Gallagher and Matheson, send down Hutson, Mailloux, Heineman and Kapanen and strip Suzuki of his C.
meh it's October hockey. We also went .500 last season , look where we ended up. Also Philadelphia is probably a bottom 3 team. They played good but let's say Philly was not really.... a hard challenge. I want them to play like that against actual top teams. not abysmal performance like they did most of the season.

They gotta make the other teams work for their win and not let them skate
around for 60min

We need to see this from the Habs every games

Last edited:

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Finally caught up and watch 2nd and 3rd. Almost blew it but they didn't. Another curse broken - a win in back to back.

Caufield could have scored 3 at least, from what I remember. Mallioux had a decent game. Evans stands out. Nick is well endowed. And Primo let in less than 4 so I guess a good night overall. I mean it's Philly and they suck bad but Habs did what they needed to for most of the night and contained them pretty well. Pretty boring game overall but win's a win.

Still f*** that ref!

Once our defense prospects like Reinbacher and Mailloux are ready, i'd definitively give Xhakej a try on the 4th line like Big Buff

4th line : Tuch - Xhakej - Xhakej

Hutson - Andersson
Guhle - Mailloux
Matheson - Reinbacher
2 Xhekajs on the same line - I like that. Let them loose!!!!

Reactions: HabbyGuy

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
He's still who he is offensively but he's starting to apply his strengths to benefit the team in other ways. He's blocking shots and really being hard to play against as a defender too. Anderson's will has never been in question, but maybe they are finally getting through to him in terms of his approach. He's definitely playing differently and it's nice to see.
This. He is doing well with the things he can control. Using his speed, playing physical and battling for pucks. His hockey iq will prevent him from being the 25+ goal guy we wanted but I am happy with how he has played so far this year.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Meh... Armia is a better player making a bit more than 1/2 his salary, and he catches a similar amount of flak.

Fair or not, players with those kinds of physical tools create high expectations. The salary (& term), and brief stints of higher impact exacerbates it, to be sure.
I'd take Anderson over Armia any day. Armia is as vanilla as they come. Absolutely it affects expectations, but that's why I made sure to say that I have liked Anderson's game despite the contract.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
He looks so nervous, he's the only one that sits if a mistake is made. The rest of the D can commit horrific hockey and they won't have to hit the pressbox. It's not a good way to play the sport, knowing every mistake will probably lead to a benching, but the other dolts can go -9 and its 'all good bro'
I think that's the main reason. He knows his coach looks at him differently and treats his mistakes differently. Habs mngt needs to deal with it IF they want to keep him. I am afraid they don't have plans for Arbs.

Reactions: Habs

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Of course Gallagher and Anderson don't play up to their salary. But they're playing reasonably, much better than whatever value, including negative value, that we'd accrue If we traded them.
Opportunity cost is a cost too.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I'd take Anderson over Armia any day. Armia is as vanilla as they come. Absolutely it affects expectations, but that's why I made sure to say that I have liked Anderson's game despite the contract.

Armia is one of the most talented players on the team and is playing great hockey. He is a possession monster and has been great on the pk.

I love that Anderson has finally simplified his game and is bringing it every night but Armia can play higher in the lineup because he has the skill to do so. He is a flawed player but he is a bargain when he is on.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
meh it's October hockey. We also went .500 last season , look where we ended up. Also Philadelphia is probably a bottom 3 team. They played good but let's say Philly was not really.... a hard challenge. I want them to play like that against actual top teams. not abysmal performance like they did most of the season.

They gotta make the other teams work for their win and not let them skate around for 60min

delete

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Nice highlights boys! back to back!

No Guhle, Slaf or Laine.

Only place to go is up!

Suzuki quiet 100 pt pace. You love to see it

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Armia is one of the most talented players on the team and is playing great hockey. He is a possession monster and has been great on the pk.

I love that Anderson has finally simplified his game and is bringing it every night but Armia can play higher in the lineup because he has the skill to do so. He is a flawed player but he is a bargain when he is on.
I stand by what I said. Armia is as vanilla as they come. If he's playing up the lineup, that's a huge problem and he won't be at all effective. I feel like Anderson in a properly cast role adds more value to the team, especially once Laine returns and Demidov makes it, so we'll never have to see Armia in the top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad