Post-Game Talk: Habs Will Select 3rd Overall

What do you want to happen with 3rd overall?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
This guy has a really interesting take on this and it is basically the essence of what I was trying to get at in this same thread last weekend :
NHL Draft 2018: Why Andrei Svechnikov's star potential is on par with Rasmus Dahlin | Sporting News

We got to try and get him somehow. Like others have suggested, who knows when the habs will be that close to getting a player of his talent again?

We are in position with the 3rd overall pick to make a play for him

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
The answer is actually somewhere in the middle of this argument. Products affected by cross-border consumption and trade between the US and Canada are likely to have similar values given our current trade relationship. However, local purchasing power and the relative cost of goods has a significant impact on determining how much monetary assets would be "worth". Especially locally, the comparative rate of inflation between USD and CAD isn't equal to 1 : 1.3 (AKA, different than the very black and white difference in online shopping) and will fluctuate lower and higher. I think it was referenced earlier, but the major purchases that earning USD vs CAD will impact are local purchases like daily goods and housing. Without having the concrete numbers to work off of (including taxes, lifestyle, consumer purchasing values, etc.), this is really all just speculation. You're arguing two factors that work together to influence the answer of "where will he make the most money" - neither answer is correct without the other.

Besides, what's the logic in only drawing this back to money earned? When was the last time any well-adjusted human made a life/career decision purely based on financial earnings and didn't take into account relationships/family/culture/location/etc./etc./etc.

There isn't an answer to this and we won't know until July 1st - just like every other year.
To me it's pretty simple. You get paid 'x' amount of US dollars and you pay 'x' amount of taxes (either in Canadian or US funds depending on where you sign) Now if you sign with a Canadian team your money goes 30% further when you spend it in Canada or convert it to Canadian dollars but does this make up for all the extra taxes you get charged in a place like Montreal versus a place like Florida which has no State taxes? I don't know. I do know that when you file taxes in the US you have a lot more loopholes at your disposal than you do in Canada (well, as long as you're rich, of course, which NHL players are)

Canadian tax laws were altered back in the early 80's and it greatly affected pro athletes. I recall that a lot of Expos players who lived full-time in Montreal wound up moving their primary residences back to the States once the laws changed, Gary Carter being the most prominent one. Players in the US can, for example, write off the cost of a 5 or 6 figure country club membership fee as a "health benefit" on their taxes, something they can't do under Canadian tax laws. So if Tavares signs here, does he keep as much money in his pocket as he would if he signs for the same amount with the Rangers or Kings or Panthers? Ultimately that is what will tell the tale.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
He would've been an elite #1 center if not for that injury.

Maybe. But he was a #1C throughout his career.98-08 (prime years) he was the 23rd best scoring centre in the league for points, and in the same time for centres with at least 500 games played he was 16th for points per game for all centres in that time period.

Maybe Saku Koivu wasn't Mats Sundin or Peter Forsberg, but he was definitely a Top 25/Top 20 centre in the league for the majority of his career. Why people continue to say he was more an ideal 2C or he wasn't a 1C (I know you didn't say it but it was said by the person you quoted who they were quoting) on the Habs forum, I'll just never get it.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Last night, I dreamed that i was watching the draft and Buffalo took Tkachuk. Carolina had already traded our 3rd for their 2nd (couldnt tell you what we added, I just 'knew' the trade was made). I remember that I was really excited about this in my dream, when Buffalo made their pick. But then, Bergevin drafted Zadina instead of Dahlin.

I woke-up utterly pissed

Would have been more pissed if Buffalo drafted Tkachuk, then Carolina (who kept their pick) drafted Zadina.

Then we draft McCleod.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
We got to try and get him somehow. Like others have suggested, who knows when the habs will be that close to getting a player of his talent again?

On the plus side, if we pick #3 next year, we’ll get a franchise center. Way things are looking now, top-3 next year may all be franchise-level centers.

isthatso

Jan 20, 2017
Wrong again. Most things cost MORE in the US than they do here. I have a place in FLA and I can tell you unoquivically that just about everything costs more there than in Montreal. On top of that, if you live in and work in Montreal and paid in USD, you’re getting 30% MORE money. That means not only is cost of living LESS, you’re also getting 30% MORE.

THIS. IS. NOT. ROCKET. FREAKING. SCIENCE.

You thinking that buying things off Amazon equates to things being more expensive in the US is adorable, though.

Actually, expansive items are cheaper in the US, than they are here. Even with a favorable rate. Wine, cars, cigars, for some examples.

A 16$ wine bottle here can be bought for around 9 USD (12 CAD) in Florida (that is a cheap bottle, but the one I regularly buy, so I have a more precise memory) and it gets even more pronounced with higher priced items. That is unless it changed in the last two months.

That is obviously also greatly influenced by state taxes on those kind of products. The US have a bigger buying power, which often translates in more competitive price. Also, original pricing are set in USD for most international compagnies and they apply a ''safety" rate for other countries.

Another example:

Apple iPad Pro = 649 USD and 869 CAD on their respective websites.
Today's rate is app. 1.27, so 649 USD x 1.27 = 824 CAD
6-8% sale tax in Florida vs 15% here.

Final: 882$ CAD (bought in FL) vs 999 CAD (bought in QC).

The bigger the price tag, often the biggest that gap grows. Let's not forget that millionaires don't buy the same stuff as most folks. I like my 16$ bottle of wine, even though I sometime spend 100$ on another one (well, rarely). Those guys can spend that 100$ way more often than I, without even feeling it. On those bottles, the savings can sometime be around 20% vs their Canadian counterparts.

Real estate, well that is another story and quite more complex.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurentide

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004

As much as I am a fan of svech, we should be ecstatic at the prospect of having zadina on the habs. The kid is a savant. He will make everyone around him that much better. Believe me. Or don't. But you will see sooner rather than later! ;)

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Actually, expansive items are cheaper in the US, than they are here. Even with a favorable rate. Wine, cars, cigars, for some examples.

A 16$ wine bottle here can be bought for around 9 USD (12 CAD) in Florida (that is a cheap bottle, but the one I regularly buy, so I have a more precise memory) and it gets even more pronounced with higher priced items. That is unless it changed in the last two months.

That is obviously also greatly influenced by state taxes on those kind of products. The US have a bigger buying power, which often translates in more competitive price. Also, original pricing are set in USD for most international compagnies and they apply a ''safety" rate for other countries.

Another example:

Apple iPad Pro = 649 USD and 869 CAD on their respective websites.
Today's rate is app. 1.27, so 649 USD x 1.27 = 824 CAD
6-8% sale tax in Florida vs 15% here.

Final: 882$ CAD (bought in FL) vs 999 CAD (bought in QC).

The bigger the price tag, often the biggest that gap grows. Let's not forget that millionaires don't buy the same stuff as most folks. I like my 16$ bottle of wine, even though I sometime spend 100$ on another one (well, rarely). Those guys can spend that 100$ way more often than I, without even feeling it. On those bottles, the savings can sometime be around 20% vs their Canadian counterparts.

Real estate, well that is another story and quite more complex.

Someone already did the math and guess what, you’re wrong.

Here's a stat that shows Montreal as having the 75th most expensive cost of living out of 101 North American cities.
Cost of Living Ranking in North America (USA and Canada). Updated May 2018

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
They just played a clip during the TSN690 update of Craig Button saying if the Habs want a center Kotkaniemi is the player they should take @ 3.

Question I have for the people here who follow prospects more closely would this be a good pick for the Habs @ 3 with others still on the board who are consistently rated higher by pretty much every other draft list?

I don't follow these prospects at all and only read the various draft rankings and reading opinions here but taking Kotkaniemi @ 3 seems like a bit of a reach to me considering there's better players available according to the majority of draft lists.

Would you be happy if the Habs passed on other players to take Kotkaniemi @ 3?
No, not smart

Jul 6, 2016
habs have to select the best available: Svechnikov or Zadina. That's it

If they really want Kotkaniemi, he should be available at around the 10-12th spot. Rangers and Isles have those picks.... And either team would like to get Patches....

Zadina + Kotkaniemi would be a great, great draft !

isthatso

Jan 20, 2017
Someone already did the math and guess what, you’re wrong.

Wow, great source. I guess you're right...

''About Expatistan.com

Expatistan.com was founded in 2009 by Gerardo Robledillo, a software engineer specializing in web applications. An expat himself, he created Expatistan to solve a problem that every expat faces; How much money will I need in my new city? Expatistan runs one of the biggest collaborative cost-of-living databases of prices in the world. This database is constantly updated and improved in a collaborative way by expats all over the world.''

Finally, a recognized source of information. You just got to love the internet.

Anyways, good day to you. FYI, also have a place down there.

Other examples:

Hennesy VS
33 USD at total wine Tampa Bay (42 CAD @ 1.27)
66 CAD at SAQ

Gallon of milk
4 USD at Publix Clearwater (5.08 CAD @ 1.27)
6.00 CAD at Metro

Gasoline
2.56 USD a gallon at Sam's Club Tampa (3.25 CAD @ 1.27)
5.20 CAD a gallon in MTL

Note that those prices are from today. And for the ''additional'' 30% that you get, you also get higher sales taxes and income taxes, which the latter is not as big of a deal as some makes it, but there is some truth to it.

@shutehinside I don't think you got the sarcasm here, so I added actual prices from today. My folks are in Clearwater now.

Last edited:
Reactions: shutehinside
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad