Pre-Game Talk: Habs vs Canes October 3rd at 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I want to see Kotkaniemi and Drouin play better now that the real games have started.

Also excited to see Fleury and Suzuki make their debuts. Hope Julien gives them some leash and allow them to grow from mistakes and not expect them to play like veterans out of the gate. I always found our coaches Julien and past coaches have been quicker to isolate youth for mistakes than veterans ie Benn.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Man, that's pathetic. It's business, not a frat-house for good ol' boys.

If Dundon wants to act out his grudge on the ice, he's better lace up his skates and take a shift himself, because none of his players will care.
He could face off against Cap Space. :sarcasm:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Armia has been on the PP for most of the year. It's been like that since he's been a Hab.

It took off when Weal joined and they changed up the down low config. Armia is still good for retrieval but Weal is the better bumper.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I see that Claude really loves Weal. I want to say that I don't understand why Armia and Weal are on the PP over KK, but after all, Claude "the dinosaur" Julien is the bench boss, therefore no more is needed to say.

Or its because the only time our pp was effective last season was when we had weal, danault, and armia playing on the 1st unit?

If anything putting kotkaniemi, who's much more talented than those guys, on the top unit is more of a "dinosaur" way of thinking since by default a coach usually stacks the most skilled players on the 1st unit.

Weal and Danault aren't on top unit because they are older than KK, but rather because they actually managed to make the pp successful. It remains to be seen if they can continue the success from last season and from preseason, but it makes sense to give them the first look.

Last edited:

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Or its because the only time our pp was effective last season was when we had weal, danault, and armia playing on the 1st unit?

If anything putting kotkaniemi, who's much more talented than those guys, on the top unit is more of a "dinosaur" way of thinking since by default a coach usually stacks the most skilled players on the 1st unit.

Weal and Danault aren't on top unit because they are older than KK, but rather because they actually managed to make the pp successful. It remains to be seen if they can continue the success from last season and from preseason, but it makes sense to give them the first look.

Putting a talented player on the top unit is more of a “dinosaur” thinking?...ok? I think you should watch around the league when you have a moment.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Did Bergevin actually force Fleury and Suzuki to have numbers that he wants? That's pretty f***ing ridiculous if true. "Sorry Suzuki, but my ex girlfriend cheated on me with someone who had a #88 jersey so you can't wear that. Sorry Fleury, but this bully who was mean to me in middle school wore number #80 so you can't wear that"

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Did Bergevin actually force Fleury and Suzuki to have numbers that he wants? That's pretty ****ing ridiculous if true. "Sorry Suzuki, but my ex girlfriend cheated on me with someone who had a #88 jersey so you can't wear that. Sorry Fleury, but this bully who was mean to me in middle school wore number #80 so you can't wear that"

Of course, hockey thinking at play here. If a young unproven player take a high number then said young player think he is a hot shot and we can't have that.

All of this is...
scientifically-proven.gif

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Putting a talented player on the top unit is more of a “dinosaur” thinking?...ok? I think you should watch around the league when you have a moment.

Did coaches use to put their less talented players in the top pp unit decades ago? No, it was always been the most talented players. There is nothing modern about this.
Putting guys like Danault and Weal on the top unit when you have more talented players is not something that used to be done frequently before or even now. So that is definitely not a "dinosaur" way of thinking.

What was a "dinosaur" way of thinking was favoring less good veteran players over the kids, but that is not the case here. Like I said in my previous post, Danault and Weal are on the first unit for now because they made the pp successful.
If it was an age thing, then Domi and Tatar would've been there instead.

In general, Julien might not favor the rookies for the top pp unit, but in this specific case, it doesn't have to do with that.

Reactions: Archijerej

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Did coaches use to put their less talented players in the top pp unit decades ago? No, it was always been the most talented players. There is nothing modern about this.
Putting guys like Danault and Weal on the top unit when you have more talented players is not something that used to be done frequently before or even now. So that is definitely not a "dinosaur" way of thinking.

What was a "dinosaur" way of thinking was favoring less good veteran players over the kids, but that is not the case here. Like I said in my previous post, Danault and Weal are on the first unit for now because they made the pp successful.
If it was an age thing, then Domi and Tatar would've been there instead.

In general, Julien might not favor the rookies for the top pp unit, but in this specific case, it doesn't have to do with that.

I really believe you are missing the point. Claude Julien is a dinosaur coach, period. whether it’s deployment of the lines, pp, pk, favoritism etc...

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I really believe you are missing the point. Claude Julien is a dinosaur coach, period. whether it’s deployment of the lines, pp, pk, favoritism etc...

I disagree.
Give me examples that don't have to do with kotkaniemi.
I could give you plenty of examples that show the opposite

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
I disagree.
Give me examples that don't have to do with kotkaniemi.
I could give you plenty of examples that show the opposite

That’s ok to disagree, you have your opinion on this coach and I have mine. We can debate this until our faces turn blue, it won’t change your mind and it certainly won’t change mine.

Reactions: Tyson

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I want to see Kotkaniemi and Drouin play better now that the real games have started.

Also excited to see Fleury and Suzuki make their debuts. Hope Julien gives them some leash and allow them to grow from mistakes and not expect them to play like veterans out of the gate. I always found our coaches Julien and past coaches have been quicker to isolate youth for mistakes than veterans ie Benn.
Thankfully, Suzuki and Fleury are the sort of players that CJ will love. Poehling too.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Did Bergevin actually force Fleury and Suzuki to have numbers that he wants? That's pretty ****ing ridiculous if true. "Sorry Suzuki, but my ex girlfriend cheated on me with someone who had a #88 jersey so you can't wear that. Sorry Fleury, but this bully who was mean to me in middle school wore number #80 so you can't wear that"

We don’t know how much coercion or persuasion was involved, if any.

I translated Fleury’s comment in respect of why he changed his jersey number. There is a strong inference that Bergevin was involved in the decision either directly or indirectly.

Fleury’s answer was how Bergevin doesn’t like high numbers. That definitely draws a clear link between Fleury’s decision and Bergevin’s preference.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Why does it even matter to you? Lou doesn't let players wear high numbers. It's just a number on a shirt.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017

Where did you read that ?

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co

Pierre Gervais confirmed in an interview two seasons ago that Bergevin picks the numbers for all incoming prospects, and also has a large amount of input on what numbers are given to players coming to the team via trade/signings.

He made a comment in the interview that said under all of the GMs he's ever worked under, he's never seen a GM more "involved" in the numbers worn by the players.

If you go back and look at all of the numbers worn by players who have played for the Habs under Bergevin's tenure, you'll see that certain numbers are always consistently in circulation. See #8, #13, #17, #21, #28 for example.

The guy is an absolute control freak.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Why does it even matter to you? Lou doesn't let players wear high numbers. It's just a number on a shirt.
Lol what's next? You cant take a Gatorade from the vending machine next to the washroom because it has all the flavors that Bergevin likes? You cant sit on the 3rd chair from the right in the lunch room because that's Bergevins spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad