Post-Game Talk: Habs shut out the Laffs in season opener!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Indeed we saw that from game one in the pre-season.
It's going to be a work in progress trying to balance our push vs our defend but Marty isn't wrong.
This is not a game we would have won last year. The one thing I did like was how Montembault was able to track the puck.
He wasn't screened very often at all which is night and day from many outings we saw last season.

And part of why Monty was able to track the puck is because for most of the game, Montreal were able to keep Leafs players from getting to the front of the net and in front of him.

Work in progress is definitely the right word because there will be nights it won't be as effective. MSL did say this camp they really started working on their defensive game. It's probably why Mailloux also didn't fully stand out because he was probably asked to focus a bit more on the defensive side of the game.

Also, Matheson in an interview said that after last season, the team spoke about the man-to-man D and possibly changing the way they defend. Grillo joining the coaching staff surely plays a role in that, as well. In time, their D game will be much better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not sure Marty takes ABB out for some reason.

I tend to agree but what do we know. I felt ABB played well.

And part of why Monty was able to track the puck is because for most of the game, Montreal were able to keep Leafs players from getting to the front of the net and in front of him.

Work in progress is definitely the right word because there will be nights it won't be as effective. MSL did say this camp they really started working on their defensive game. It's probably why Mailloux also didn't fully stand out because he was probably asked to focus a bit more on the defensive side of the game.

Also, Matheson in an interview said that after last season, the team spoke about the man-to-man D and possibly changing the way they defend. Grillo joining the coaching staff surely plays a role in that, as well. In time, their D game will be much better.

MSL is one smart guy! Yeah, we need to improve offensive and our PP but we are going nowhere if we can't play solid team D. Confidence/momentum comes from sound team D where soft goals are mitigated and avoids in game momentum killers.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
People are probably going to be mad but I can see the Habs re-signing Savard on a cheap 2 year deal. Another year in the top 6 buys Reinbacher his development time and gives a sophomore Hutson that veteran security blanket, and in year 2, Savard can be the glue guy in the room eating hot dogs in the press-box and coming in on back to backs or in injury situations.
I wouldn't be opposed.

Edit: Oops I hadn't refreshed my browser window from this AM and didn't realize I was replying to a comment 5 pages back.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I tend to agree but what do we know. I felt ABB played well.

MSL is one smart guy! Yeah, we need to improve offensive and our PP but we are going nowhere if we can't play solid team D. Confidence/momentum comes from sound team D where soft goals are mitigated and avoids in game momentum killers.
I've said all along a good season for me would be getting that GF/GA to the neutral territory which should easily net us a .500 plus season.
The obvious areas to improve were the terrible man v man across the board the PP and the PK.
Anything else is gravy.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
You say that it would be 5-1 without Monty, I'd come back and tell you after the first half of the game, if it wasn't for Stolarz, Habs would win it 5-2.
Based on xGF from naturalstacktrick, the game should have ended 6-4 for the Leafs. Both goalies were very good and the Leafs just love to take long distance low chance shots.

But the game showed one big problem for the Habs: still shit at retrieving/winning pucks in the dzone and making it leave their zone so it reach the middle of the neutral zone at least. But it looked more slow/poor decision making in this game (so should improve), instead of the "panic, panic, PANIC!!" of last season.

It's going to be interesting to see where they are in 6-10 games.

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wouldn't be opposed.

Edit: Oops I hadn't refreshed my browser window from this AM and didn't realize I was replying to a comment 5 pages back.
Damn I'd been in real trouble if there were hard fast rules against that. :laugh:
Sometimes I'll start reading a thread 15 pages old and start responding to posts on page one.
It does backfire on occasion.

• Haha
Reactions: badfish

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I've said all along a good season for me would be getting that GF/GA to the neutral territory which should easily net us a .500 plus season.
The obvious areas to improve were the terrible man v man across the board the PP and the PK.
Anything else is gravy.

Agreed! And I think it's something MSL is focusing on this season as well.

Reactions: Rapala

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
It wasn’t morbid as much as it was evoking the downside of getting older and existential musings.

I just reminded him that most of us were here to not be reminded of life’s burdens.

But, our b’y @sheed36 was certainly in a deep state of thought. We might have to cheer him up some as the best time to have fun was yesterday and the next best time, is now.
Our b’y…. :laugh:

You do pay attention to details as you remembered Sheeds be from the rock, nice to see you posting again!

• Love
Reactions: Runner77 and Rapala

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
are we dressing all Smurfs and newly acquired superstar ABB tonight???

We're dressing:

6'3" and 225 lbs of Slaf
6'4" and 221 lbs of Dach
6'3" and 226 lbs of Anderson
6'3" and 216 lbs of Armia
6'2" and 194 lbs of Kapanen
6'1" and 190 lbs of Dvorak
6' and 190 lbs of Evans
5'11" and 207 lbs of Suzuki
5'11" and 200 lbs of Newhook

6'4" and 240 lbs of Xhekaj
6'3" and 202 lbs of Guhle
6'2" and 201 lbs of Barron
6'1" and 235 lbs of Savard
6'2" and 196 lbs of Matheson

They're not all physical presences, but there are only 4 players in the line-up who are both under 6-feet and under 200 lbs (Hutson, Caufield, Gallagher & ABB). And the only other player who is small is RHP, who is on IR.

And from those players in the smurf category, you have Hutson and Caufield, who are among the team's best players.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Based on xGF from naturalstacktrick, the game should have ended 6-4 for the Leafs. Both goalies were very good and the Leafs just love to take long distance low chance shots.

But the game showed one big problem for the Habs: still shit at retrieving/winning pucks in the dzone and making it leave their zone so it reach the middle of the neutral zone at least. But it looked more slow/poor decision making in this game (so should improve), instead of the "panic, panic, PANIC!!" of last season.

It's pretty obvious to see when we hold the blue properly vs when we back in like we saw in periods two and three.
This backing in shit gets us hemmed every frickin' time no matter who is out there.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Yes, but Natural Stat Trick is only providing the data. If Habs convert a few more of their golden chances in the first half of the game, the context of the game changes, and Leafs are gonna be less likely to really pour it on. Which is why I said that if it wasn't for Stolarz, the Habs would've won that game by more.

He shut the door in the first half of the game the way Monty shut it in the second half, and mainly in the 3rd.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
We're dressing:

6'3" and 225 lbs of Slaf
6'4" and 221 lbs of Dach
6'3" and 226 lbs of Anderson
6'3" and 216 lbs of Armia
6'2" and 194 lbs of Kapanen
6'1" and 190 lbs of Dvorak
6' and 190 lbs of Evans
5'11" and 207 lbs of Suzuki
5'11" and 200 lbs of Newhook

6'4" and 240 lbs of Xhekaj
6'3" and 202 lbs of Guhle
6'2" and 201 lbs of Barron
6'1" and 235 lbs of Savard
6'2" and 196 lbs of Matheson

They're not all physical presences, but there are only 4 players in the line-up who are both under 6-feet and under 200 lbs (Hutson, Caufield, Gallagher & ABB). And the only other player who is small is RHP, who is on IR.

And from those players in the smurf category, you have Hutson and Caufield, who are among the team's best players.
This reads like we aren’t dressing parts of these players

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Yes, but Natural Stat Trick is only providing the data. If Habs convert a few more of their golden chances in the first half of the game, the context of the game changes, and Leafs are gonna be less likely to really pour it on. Which is why I said that if it wasn't for Stolarz, the Habs would've won that game by more.

He shut the door in the first half of the game the way Monty shut it in the second half, and mainly in the 3rd.
Yup converting on that 5v3 changes the context in itself.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yup converting on that 5v3 changes the context in itself.

Too many passers and not enough shooters. Cole was the only shooter out there and the passing lanes were mostly covered. And it's almost like there's no sense of urgency.

I have a feeling MSL will work on 5-on-3 PPs at practice in order for the players to know what to do.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I was very impressed with the Habs holding that lead. Not something we were strong at in the last few seasons.

Lets see how we do in a back/back against the Bruins tonight. Imagine? Two wins in back/back games to start the season against our two biggest rivalries.

Hutson also impressive me with his Defensive coverage. Most are looking at his offense and rightfully so but my area of focus is how he plays D first. Good start!

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018

So the players had to tell our Guru head coach he was wrong so they hired a coach for the coach. Hmmm.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Too many passers and not enough shooters. Cole was the only shooter out there and the passing lanes were mostly covered. And it's almost like there's no sense of urgency.

I have a feeling MSL will work on 5-on-3 PPs at practice in order for the players to know what to do.

100% agree. The same complacency as before. Not enough shooter mentality and not much urgency. Wasting PP time and open space trying to find a perfect pass. Set up the one timer and blast it. Chase the loose puck if you don't score and set up again. It's not that complicated

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Dipshit received the least amount of TOI (11:50) of any Dman, don’t think the coaching staff noticed ?
LOLOLOLOL
Should we take a tour of the entire league and look at third paring TOI.
No one claims Barron doesn't have issues.
What they do claim is he is working on them and finding some success.

Reactions: morhilane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad