Post-Game Talk: Habs shut out the Laffs in season opener!

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Sorry, the new guy ABB gets the PP time now because he's a local guy.
Weird take ABB looked good on the PP. He has good vision and poise with the puck.

You don’t have to “overhate” the new Queb player because you think other will “overlove” him.

Could be a Marchessault, skilled player who just needs an extended tryout to become a legit middle 6 forward. 84 points in 69 gp in the A is no joke.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Also I gotta mention:

Patrik Laine looked like a cheesy villain from one of the terrible Batman movies. Whichever one Jim Carey and Tommy Lee Jones were in. Looked it up, Batman Forever. It was like his girlfriend raided Prince’s old wardrobe and forced him to wear it to the game.
Yeah that was brutal.

Hutson should have started the 5 on 3, dude was made for it, it was depressing to watch those guys.

Leafs already in playoff form.
Too soon.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I was impressed with the Leafs forecheck last night. They lost but if they keep playing that way they will be successful in a tight playoff style hockey IMO

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Leafs bottom 6 sucks ass through a straw.

Habs had four players over 44 xGF% according to NST — Dvorak, Gallagher, Armia, Heineman

Evans was at 42%

Basically Habs bottom-6 outmatched Leafs

IMO Habs have one of the deepest bottom-6
in the division if not the conference - ignore the cap hit which isn’t hampering the Habs any at the moment anyway. I believe that depth will help keep them in the wildcard race awaiting Laines hopefully healthy return

Last edited:
Reactions: habbubba

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Leafs should count themselves lucky it was only 1-0 and we didn't unleash the demon on them

ezgif-1-5f3195875f.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: David Suzuki

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He (Hutson) was one of the worst tonight defensively, but the rest of his game easily makes up for it and much of it is a lack of experience. All of the young defensemen I thought made some terrible reads, turnovers and bad decisions without the puck. Savard and Matheson made some bad plays, but by and large are still necessary as they do quite a bit of heavy lifting, that I've noticed many posters here just don't see at all. Matheson shouldn't play on PP1, he's not good enough.
I don't understand this board. Hutson was worse than Barron defensively yet JB gets crapped on. And offensively Lane had one pass that was dangerous; otherwise all he did was jitterbug up and down the offensive zone and then lose the puck or give it away. I can't believe people are clamoring to install him as the PP quarterback.

Not that Matheson is the answer.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I don't understand this board. Hutson was worse than Barron defensively yet JB gets crapped on. And offensively Lane had one pass that was dangerous; otherwise all he did was jitterbug up and down the offensive zone and then lose the puck or give it away. I can't believe people are clamoring to install him as the PP quarterback.
Because Hutson has 3 NHL games in his pocket, and Barron, a hundred and a few years more? At some point, people are starting to think Barron won't progress, while we still can forgive Hutson's mistakes

Reactions: stanley25

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Pretty much best case scenario tonight. We're the youngest roster in the league, with limited offense and an extremely young defense. Anybody thinking we'd dominate the Leafs who are competing for a cup is delusional. Goalie played great, our pp was actually decent and are pk was good. So many positives tonight. Can't really ask for more at the moment.
Decent compared to what?

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Like I've said 10 000 times before, there's something in the Montreal tap water , its so obvious , some type of fluoride that makes the boys unable to ever be ppg but makes every goalie the second coming , like Michaels secret juice in space jam
We should ask André Racicot what he was drinking instead of water..... :cool::DD

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not Mathesons best game, think he’s earned the right for dibs on first wave, give him 5-6 games and if it’s all the same, I’d definitely move Hutson on that #1PP.

Don’t think we are in must win so no need to panic on St-Louis’s part.

Hutson is a star in the making though, so crafty
The Artful Dodger Baby!

Reactions: Runner77

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
Made the trip up for the game tonight.
All I really need to say is, if we ever have a 5 on 3 Powerplay again and don’t put Hutson out there I’m going to snap.
There is no better time to play the kid. Every time he’s on the ice he’s constantly moving his feet and making things happen. Our 5 on 3 was atrocious, we made it as easy as we possibly could for the Leafs to defend it.
Everyone standing around. Hutson will shine in that situation.
Other than that, GG Monty.
Couldn't agree more. I've been a defender of Matheson on PP1, but there is absolutely no player on the roster I'd rather have with the puck on his stick in a 5-3 situation than Lane Hutson.

Reactions: Runner77 and BLONG7

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
People are probably going to be mad but I can see the Habs re-signing Savard on a cheap 2 year deal. Another year in the top 6 buys Reinbacher his development time and gives a sophomore Hutson that veteran security blanket, and in year 2, Savard can be the glue guy in the room eating hot dogs in the press-box and coming in on back to backs or in injury situations.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Couple things I notice last night. The defensive system has changed. I didnt see the man to man strategy and back to more of a zone defense and collapsing back to the net.
The 5-3 was terrible. Leaving two players high (just inside the blueline) made the PP a 3 on 3 down low. Didn't make much sense. Should be an umbrella set up in my opinion.

Reactions: Rapala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad