Post-Game Talk: Habs shut out the Laffs in season opener!

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Biggest issue that was really glaring on the 5 on 3 PP is how immobile Matheson was, which only led to less passing options and teammates just rotating perimeter passes that did not lead to SOGs.

Hutson as a QB, is constantly in motion, turning himself into both passing and shooting options, keeping the PP dynamic.
If MSL is taking any input from Rotenberg on this subject, Hutson will pay for this dynamism.

Straight to jail. Right away.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 60M/yr scam artist, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Some nice flashes especially in the first but nothing to write home about afterwards, Toronto should have won that game by 2-3 goals. Career game for Montembeault though, good for him.

I hope we'll see more offense and overall structure eventually and less protecting one goal leads while getting outshot/outplayed and surviving only because the goalie stood on his head, it gave me Price era flashbacks and I don't like it. From time to time it's fine of course.

Also Hutson on PP1 please, keeping Matheson there is just dumb at this point.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Also I gotta mention:

Patrik Laine looked like a cheesy villain from one of the terrible Batman movies. Whichever one Jim Carey and Tommy Lee Jones were in. Looked it up, Batman Forever. It was like his girlfriend raided Prince’s old wardrobe and forced him to wear it to the game.

Attachments

• IMG_5156.jpeg
    IMG_5156.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5157.jpeg
    IMG_5157.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 1

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Pretty much best case scenario tonight. We're the youngest roster in the league, with limited offense and an extremely young defense. Anybody thinking we'd dominate the Leafs who are competing for a cup is delusional. Goalie played great, our pp was actually decent and are pk was good. So many positives tonight. Can't really ask for more at the moment.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
As far as tonight, the Leafs really put them on their heels after a strong first, but I found there were a ton of positives.

Monty for one. What a performance.

The amount of talent Hutson has. It is insane to see veteran players get completely humiliated shift after shift. It's no joke being able to fool John Tavares, who's one of the smartest players in the league. Guy reads the game so well and Hutson played him like a CHLer. Hutsons PP work, transition game and abilities in the offensive zone are incredible.

The physical play. Loved Reaves turning down Xhekaj, Dach hitting guys, Savard destroying Domi and Slaf being ready to drop the gloves. Once Tuch and Florian are on the team, the opposition will go through hell.

Matheson should not be on the PP, but he had a very good game. It seems like he's the new Danault, where he's over performing his contract and the trade that brought him here to a crazy degree, yet is the guy who's targeted because of some very apparent turnovers and poor PP work. He does so many good things though.

I thought Slaf and Caufield created quite a bit of offense, despite being rusty.

Man is it good to have Dach back. Guy is so good. Newhook as well played a great game, which again goes to show how useless preseason play is for established players.

I liked Anderson's game. I think MSL likely talked to him and stopped trying to make him something he's not. He played a north-south, crash into the corners and use his speed/reach to get pucks.

Can't wait to have Laine/Demidov on the roster, but for now, the important thing is to beat Toronto, Ottawa and Boston.

habmercy

Aug 19, 2017
We look like goal scoring will still be a problem. If only we had a big Finnish winger to help. Tough game again tomorrow and Boston' s goaltending has not looked good. I liked Dach, Guehle and Slafkovsky tonight. Obviously we need Monty to win some games until we can find some scoring. Primeau's turn to win one tomorrow. Definitely some nerves tonight. Hopefully we can settle down tomorrow.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Pretty much best case scenario tonight. We're the youngest roster in the league, with limited offense and an extremely young defense. Anybody thinking we'd dominate the Leafs who are competing for a cup is delusional. Goalie played great, our pp was actually decent and are pk was good. So many positives tonight. Can't really ask for more at the moment.

Pretty sure the orchestra put the Leafs to sleep. WTF was that all about?

Reactions: Runner77

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
I think for next game that Kapanen will draw in for Heineman, Pezz did ABB. Kap will take ABBs PP2 spot. Defence will be the same assuming Struble isn’t good to go. But for this game I didn’t think we had anyone that looked especially bad, Barron likely had the toughest night

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
As far as tonight, the Leafs really put them on their heels after a strong first, but I found there were a ton of positives.

Monty for one. What a performance.

The amount of talent Hutson has. It is insane to see veteran players get completely humiliated shift after shift. It's no joke being able to fool John Tavares, who's one of the smartest players in the league. Guy reads the game so well and Hutson played him like a CHLer. Hutsons PP work, transition game and abilities in the offensive zone are incredible.

The physical play. Loved Reaves turning down Xhekaj, Dach hitting guys, Savard destroying Domi and Slaf being ready to drop the gloves. Once Tuch and Florian are on the team, the opposition will go through hell.

Matheson should not be on the PP, but he had a very good game. It seems like he's the new Danault, where he's over performing his contract and the trade that brought him here to a crazy degree, yet is the guy who's targeted because of some very apparent turnovers and poor PP work. He does so many good things though.

I thought Slaf and Caufield created quite a bit of offense, despite being rusty.

Man is it good to have Dach back. Guy is so good. Newhook as well played a great game, which again goes to show how useless preseason play is for established players.

I liked Anderson's game. I think MSL likely talked to him and stopped trying to make him something he's not. He played a north-south, crash into the corners and use his speed/reach to get pucks.

Can't wait to have Laine/Demidov on the roster, but for now, the important thing is to beat Toronto, Ottawa and Boston.
Didn’t watch the game . Xhekaj invited Reaves and Reaves rejected the offer ? I’m surprised

durojean

May 29, 2007
So...still worry about Hutson's size ???

Maybe one day some people will wake up and finally see that he has a great stick, he has stong legs and he does not fall on the ice at all.

Since 2 years I am a lot more worry about his shot than his size.

The problem is soon enough the teams will let him dance and the defensemen, goaltenders will cheat a bit for the pass cause Hutson is not a treat with his shot.

He will get points cause he is just to good but he needs to offer a double treat to be even more efficient with his passes

He has to work a lot on his shot ine the next 2 Summers.

One thing that you forget is that Hutson is not shooting for goals he’s shooting for rebounds. If you let him shoot, it creates chances.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Made the trip up for the game tonight.
All I really need to say is, if we ever have a 5 on 3 Powerplay again and don’t put Hutson out there I’m going to snap.
There is no better time to play the kid. Every time he’s on the ice he’s constantly moving his feet and making things happen. Our 5 on 3 was atrocious, we made it as easy as we possibly could for the Leafs to defend it.
Everyone standing around. Hutson will shine in that situation.
Other than that, GG Monty.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Savard is a "do you know ball" type defenseman. If you think he sucks you just don't get the sport IMO. I'm fine with trading him if they get a return, but he's great.
I really like what Savard can do for Hutson — if he can be kept in that role for even just another year, it would be a tremendous contribution to Hutson’s advancement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad