Proposal: Habs package for speeding up the rebuild

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Other than pure boredom amongst the fanbase why would the Habs think they’re in a position that they should be “speeding up the rebuild”? That’s a thing to do when you’re like one top six forward away from a rebuild being over and have an excess in prospects. Neither of which apply to Montreal.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So when Bern says no, its pretty much automatic that he will be traded this offseason!
No ? Rs have sometimes ignored/defied my advice, and track record = usually they should have listened to me.
We'll see.
Smart play = at minimum admit he has chem w/Cuylle and they can get by w/Brodz as pivot = a cheap line, but try to upgrade 3C

so again, no

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kakko for the Jets first would make plenty of sense. Montreal needs winger depth, RW in particular, and NYR can't be developping a guy forever while they're in win-now mode.

Plus, he's from the 2019 draft class, and I think the secret objective is to get that entire draft class in Montreal. Yes, I'm kidding.
no
he is worth mo than a late 1st + see prior post
eff the bullshit mentality that win now moves work, they typically don't, and best win now move is to extend window, and that means not moving better pieces unless overpay
dealing KK shortens window

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Other than pure boredom amongst the fanbase why would the Habs think they’re in a position that they should be “speeding up the rebuild”? That’s a thing to do when you’re like one top six forward away from a rebuild being over and have an excess in prospects. Neither of which apply to Montreal.
They did it with the Dach and Newhook trades. The Habs have multiple 1st round picks in 2024 and 2025. I can see them looking for another similar type of player to speed up the rebuild. The Wpg 1st + 2nd/3rd are in play as well as young dmen (Struble / Harris / Barron).

Reactions: pth2

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
What makes you think they aren’t? Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield and Dach are all top 6 forwards already.

Roy and Newhook both have a chance. They’re going to draft top 5-7 and most likely will pick a forward that’ll end up being a top 6. They have excess of high picks (4x first & 3x 2nd) over the next two years to acquire another one if needed.

They have more NHL ready D than they need and at least 3 high end talent either in the NHL or coming up (Guhle, Reinbacher & Hutson).

I see no reason why Montreal wouldn’t at least be in the playoff picture next year. One thing is sure, they will be too good to properly tank.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What makes you think they aren’t? Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield and Dach are all top 6 forwards already.
They're 26th in Goals Scored...
Roy and Newhook both have a chance. They’re going to draft top 5-7 and most likely will pick a forward that’ll end up being a top 6. They have excess of high picks (4x first & 3x 2nd) over the next two years to acquire another one if needed.
Prospects are decent, but I wouldn't say they're so overflowing that they're running out of spots to put guys by the time waiver-exempt years are complete (which is what I mean by "overflow")
They have more NHL ready D than they need and at least 3 high end talent either in the NHL or coming up (Guhle, Reinbacher & Hutson).
They're 26th in Goals Against... none of those guys are anywhere close to running out of waiver-exempt..
I see no reason why Montreal wouldn’t at least be in the playoff picture next year. One thing is sure, they will be too good to properly tank.
Even if too good to properly tank, why rush things and look to acquire some RFA player that will be UFA in a couple years? What's the rush? They're not winning the Cup in a couple years anyways? There will always be future trades to make if they need to.. I don't see the value in rushing things just to do so.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Because it's precisely the failed strategy that they've implemented for the last two years, trading draft picks for players further in their development - Newhook and Dach - whom they hoped would grow alongside Caufield and Suzuki, woefully inadequate core pieces for a rebuilding team?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Prospects are decent, but I wouldn't say they're so overflowing that they're running out of spots to put guys by the time waiver-exempt years are complete (which is what I mean by "overflow")

They're 26th in Goals Against... none of those guys are anywhere close to running out of waiver-exempt..

Even if too good to properly tank, why rush things and look to acquire some RFA player that will be UFA in a couple years? What's the rush? They're not winning the Cup in a couple years anyways? There will always be future trades to make if they need to.. I don't see the value in rushing things just to do so.
They traded for Dach, signed him to a 3 year deal and he's still a RFA at the end of it.
They traded for Newhook, signed him to a 4 year deal and he's still a RFA at the end of it.

The players the Habs are targeting will be cost-controlled and have potential for longterm service.

If they trade for a 30 year old... then i agree with ya.

Reactions: viceroy and pth2

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They traded for Dach, signed him to a 3 year deal and he's still a RFA at the end of it.
They traded for Newhook, signed him to a 4 year deal and he's still a RFA at the end of it.

The players the Habs are targeting will be cost-controlled and have potential for longterm service.

If they trade for a 30 year old... then i agree with ya.
Think OP was talking about 25 year olds

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Most of their scoring is coming from the sane 4 guys; Newhook, Suzuki, Caufield and Slaf. Dach next year will help a lot. Ideally Roy can step up a bit more although he’s still 20.

Horrible bottom 6 F & a young D. Most of those guys will come back stronger next year with more experience. That should help… a lot.

They don’t need to be cup favorite to acquire more talent. A 24-27 years old top 6 F will be in its prime when Montreal is ready to compete. They need to stay away from 28+ but I see no reason not to at least look into forwards entering their prime.

Reactions: viceroy

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Sure. Laffs D+2 was better haha. You might wanna look into their stats.

Not only was laffs better, he was also playing 3rd line minutes and like 5 mins less per night than slaf is playing now.
Slaf with 50% more point production... and counting. LOL

Slaf plays more minutes because he's a far superior player than Laf (back when he was in D+2). Laf was a potential bust back then. Still not a 1OA quality player.

But let's see Slaf in his D+4 - in 2 x years. 6'3, 240lbs and getting bigger and stronger by the day. Oh my....

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Slaf with 50% more point production... and counting. LOL

Slaf plays more minutes because he's a far superior player than Laf (back when he was in D+2). Laf was a potential bust back then. Still not a 1OA quality player.

But let's see Slaf in his D+4 - in 2 x years. 6'3, 240lbs and getting bigger and stronger by the day. Oh my....
You might wanna check out the stats pal haha. Slaf’s playing more minutes because hes not on a team going to the eastern conference finals like laff was in D+2.

Laff had more even strength goals D+2 playing on a checking line than slaf has total goals this year. Wild.

Reactions: bernmeister

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
1. Isn't Tuch going to be a Free agent this summer after spending 4 years in college?
2. Farrel at 5'9 doesn't really suit the Rangers style.
3. A late 1st and a 2nd/3rd doesn't really help the Rangers with their Stanley cup window.

The Rangers top forwards are all in their 30's now the only way the Rangers are trading him is if he's part of a bigger package OR A rebuilding team that has a good older-ish player that doesn't fit their timeline is offered to the Rangers and the rebuilding team thinks they can get more out of Kakko.

If Kekalainen was still the Jackets GM I could see him trading BOONE Jenner for Kakko.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
1. Isn't Tuch going to be a Free agent this summer after spending 4 years in college?
2. Farrel at 5'9 doesn't really suit the Rangers style.
3. A late 1st and a 2nd/3rd doesn't really help the Rangers with their Stanley cup window.

The Rangers top forwards are all in their 30's now the only way the Rangers are trading him is if he's part of a bigger package OR A rebuilding team that has a good older-ish player that doesn't fit their timeline is offered to the Rangers and the rebuilding team thinks they can get more out of Kakko.

If Kekalainen was still the Jackets GM I could see him trading BOONE Jenner for Kakko.
Rangers have 5 core players 30 or older

Kreider
Zibby
Panarin
Trouba
Goodrow

You can count brodzinski too but he’s their 13 fwd/injury fill in….

Goodrow and Trouba could be moved as early as this offseason.

Zibby/tro/Panarin will all be here for 2 years or longer….
Rangers have a good solid stream of talent coming up thru the ranks.
Perrault is the headliner, but guys like Othmann/berard/sykora etc should all fit in the top 9 nicely with their skill and style of play….
Edstrom/rempe/Cuylle have demonstrated they are nhl players as well.
Chytil is a wildcard….. he could be done, or come back healthy. He’s another young talented big body player.
NYR is going a contender for a while…… they no longer should have to overpay for bottom 6 talent/role players which bit us in the ass in years past.
They will be a playoff team for quite a long time.
They are also 1 of the premier UFA destinations. If needed, they will continue to add that route as well.

I think Kakko could be traded…. He and his agent may only want a 1 year deal. Kakko might want to go to a team where he’ll get the opportunity for top 2 line minutes and pp/pk time…..

He’s kind of stuck in 3rd line atm in NY.
He doesn’t have chemistry with Zibby/kreider…… Zibby hasn’t looked great all year tbh…. He’s still getting points on the PP, but this might be the worst year for him playing wise in the last 4-5 seasons

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad