Speculation: Habs on Tradecentre (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
2013-14:

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($2.000m) / Corey Perry ($8.500m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Gabriel Dumont ($0.578m) / Ryan White ($0.722m)
Petteri Nokelainen ($0.575m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Greg Pateryn ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,237,708; BONUSES: $2,885,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,447,292

Unless he falls flat on his face, Desharnais will cost a lot more than a 2 mil cap hit.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Unless he falls flat on his face, Desharnais will cost a lot more than a 2 mil cap hit.
Not much more, if MB intends on respecting his bridge contract policy. (or is this his last year eligible for RFA status?)

edit: He turns UFA after this offseason. So there probably isn't a bridge contract.

Last edited:

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
2013-14:

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($2.000m) / Corey Perry ($8.500m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Gabriel Dumont ($0.578m) / Ryan White ($0.722m)
Petteri Nokelainen ($0.575m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Greg Pateryn ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,237,708; BONUSES: $2,885,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,447,292

Unrealistic to think (1) DD settles for 2 million per (2) Dumont is your regular 4th line starting centre and (3) that 3 of 7 defenceman have a total of 1 year experience. I doubt Nok is with the team next year.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Not when you are soaking up all three contracts into one cap hit. Where does the cap space come from to replace those players?

C'mon. It is not that hard or rare to have 2 well paid players on one team. Does Crosby+Malkin rings a bell?

I'm sure there could be 1 or 2 youngsters + some role players that would fit in. Plus they can trade a guy like Bobby Ryan for young yet ready assets.

Viktor Fast is signed at a good price, so they can get rid of Hiller.

A good GM finds a way. And don't forget that the cap will most probably rise for the subsequent years.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
You do realize that the only person over 9m cap hit is Ovechkin, right? Even Malkin and Crosby have $8.7 million cap hit. There's not a chance Perry's will be that high. We're looking at $7-8 million at MOST, and he's not even worth that.

You're comparing apples and oranges, those deals were signed under the OLD CBA which teams were allowed to go longer than 8 years and add "backdiving years" to lower the cap hit.

The only reason hardly anybody is above 8 mil is because most of those deals are 10-12 year deals. Crosby makes 12 mil this year and the next 2, then 10.9 etc

Without the 3 "backdiving" years, Crosby's contract is 9 years and 95.4 mil(would be10.6 mil cap hit). When Malkin signs his extension they figure he'll get around +-80 mil for 8 years.

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
You do realize that the only person over 9m cap hit is Ovechkin, right? Even Malkin and Crosby have $8.7 million cap hit. There's not a chance Perry's will be that high. We're looking at $7-8 million at MOST, and he's not even worth that.

Not a hope in hell he signs for 7-8 mill. Getzlaf got 8.25 with his 11 goals last year (19 year before) gets more than Perry who scored 37 and 50 the year before?

The Ducks are the ones who set the bar by signing Getzlaf to an 8.25 mill deal. Doesn't matter what OV/Malkin/Crosby are signed to those are contracts from a different CBA and have little bearing on these negotiations. Besides if you take the averages of this players in todays terms the cap hit is between 10-12 mill per.

No wonder the Ducks will lose him. :shakehead

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
C'mon. It is not that hard or rare to have 2 well paid players on one team. Does Crosby+Malkin rings a bell?

I'm sure there could be 1 or 2 youngsters + some role players that would fit in. Plus they can trade a guy like Bobby Ryan for young yet ready assets.

A good GM finds a way. And don't forget that the cap will most probably rise for the subsequent years.

Different CBA, those guys signed when you could backload a bunch of years at minimal money. The Pens will have to pay the piper when Malkin is up.

Maybe they can do it, all depends if he wants to sign and given they shelled out that much for Getzlaf, who knows how much he will ask?

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006
Unrealistic to think (1) DD settles for 2 million per (2) Dumont is your regular 4th line starting centre and (3) that 3 of 7 defenceman have a total of 1 year experience. I doubt Nok is with the team next year.

1) I doubt he gets more than Subban, but ok, make it $3M. $4.5M cap space left.
2) You can switch Nokelainen with Dumont, or replace with any 4th liner at 500k and move White to centre.
3) ??? Emelin and Diaz will be entering their 3rd year. Tinordi is a rookie, and Pateryn is there because I was too lazy to think of someone else as a 7D. You can replace Pateryn with a 500k player willing to sit in the press box.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Not much more, if MB intends on respecting his bridge contract policy. (or is this his last year eligible for RFA status?)

edit: He turns UFA after this offseason. So there probably isn't a bridge contract.

DD is currently playing on his "bridge" contract. He is 1 year from UFA so I think he'll cost more. 3-4 years at 3.0-4.5 mil depending on how the next 2-3 months go.

Habtchum*

James Stephan ‏@J_Habs
LeBrun: #Habs Bergevin won't mortgage future for rentals, likely going to be a player they can keep long term 2+ years

James Stephan ‏@J_Habs
LeBrun: #Habs want to get bigger up front, think of Prust, same idea, top 9 player. Possible trade bait those 2nds and 3rds stockpiled

Discuss

Glad to hear that. It just makes common sense.

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006

Ducks have the cap space, but the real question is do they have the money. They don't spend to the cap and they actually receive revenue sharing.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You're comparing apples and oranges, those deals were signed under the OLD CBA which teams were allowed to go longer than 8 years and add "backdiving years" to lower the cap hit.

The only reason hardly anybody is above 8 mil is because most of those deals are 10-12 year deals. Crosby makes 12 mil this year and the next 2, then 10.9 etc

Without the 3 "backdiving" years, Crosby's contract is 9 years and 95.4 mil(would be10.6 mil cap hit). When Malkin signs his extension they figure he'll get around +-80 mil for 8 years.

But without back diving those deals, they probably don't get done at those annual cap hits. Stands to show the bigger contracts are a thing of the past so post CBA players shouldn't expect the same $10-$12 M / yr those other players got in the past.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
But without back diving those deals, they probably don't get done at those annual cap hits. Stands to show the bigger contracts are a thing of the past so post CBA players shouldn't expect the same $10-$12 M / yr those other players got in the past.

The new CBA will push salaries down a bit, but mostly for the middle class. The superstars and stars will still get their money. Getzlaf's new deals is a prime example.

I expect Malkin around 10 mil/year if not 10.5/year. Perry around 9-9.5/year unless a team really wants him bad and jacks it up to 10 mil/year.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Different CBA, those guys signed when you could backload a bunch of years at minimal money. The Pens will have to pay the piper when Malkin is up.

Maybe they can do it, all depends if he wants to sign and given they shelled out that much for Getzlaf, who knows how much he will ask?

It doesn't matter that Crosby and Malkin have been signed under the old CBA. Their Cap hit is still 8,5 millions, which is pretty much what Getzlaf+Perry would weight. Let's say it is a little more. Well, Pitts still have Letang, Kunitz, Neal with the team.

Duck's GM could work the same way, especially since Koivu+Selanne's contract could be off the books, or they can re-sign them for way less money, which is something plausible giving the cap going down next year.

Some interesting role players will have to take pay cuts next year in the NHL. So that could help the Ducks. + they have 2 youngsters ready to take more responsabilitles in Smith-Peley and Palmieri.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The new CBA will push salaries down a bit, but mostly for the middle class. The superstars and stars will still get their money. Getzlaf's new deals is a prime example.

I expect Malkin around 10 mil/year if not 10.5/year. Perry around 9-9.5/year unless a team really wants him bad and jacks it up to 10 mil/year.

I take his $8.5 m deal as a sign that they won't go to the $10+m range like those past contracts. He's one of the best centres in the NHL at his prime and he's still getting less than guys that you mentioned and it's all on cap.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I take his $8.5 m deal as a sign that they won't go to the $10+m range like those past contracts. He's one of the best centres in the NHL at his prime and he's still getting less than guys that you mentioned and it's all on cap.

Getzlaf isn't on the same level as Crosby and Malkin.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Are you all ****ing crazy? I'd drive Eller, Beaulieu and a 1st to Anaheim myself on a scooter for Perry, UFA or not. He's a stud, power forward with a nasty streak. He's literally everything everyone on this board has said we need for the past 20 years and you're balking because of Lars Eller? Are you serious?

Will Eller, Beaulieu and a 1st get you the numbers that Perry has, combined and be THE difference maker in the Playoffs? Have or will any of those pieces won the Stanley Cup, Heart or Rocket Richard trophy like Perry has, highly unlikely.

Pay the man what he's worth and he'll stay, especially if we're a winner.

I like Eller but he's no Perry. I doubt Anaheim even thinks this deal is realistic. Talk about over evaluating your own players...

You do realize he wouldn't be signed, right? Have fun explaining to your boss how you lost so many assets for someone who flew the coop first chance he got.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Do we really need something though? If you look at our roster

Gionta, Pleky, Ryder, Gally, DD, Pacio, Chuckie, Eller, Prust, Bourque

Those 10 names are all capable of filling in a TOP9 role. IF/When everyone is healthy, one of those guys will have to play on the fourth line. Logically you would think Prust, as he is the less "skilled" offensively. But then, if on top of that, MB brings in someone offensively-orientated, without giving up a current roster player, we could end up with two Potential Top 9 players on a 4th line.

So I'm thinking if we get someone offensively-orientated, we'll have to give up a current TOP9 Roster player. Can't see this team having 4 offensive lines. So if we want to keep the "core" of this team together, and avoid ruining chemistry (not so sure a trade can do this, except if its major) I'm leaning towards a Bottom 9 forward if anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad