Proposal: Habs moving a D?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think Barron Has to clear waivers next yr. He’s not returning that.
I expect he makes the team and over the season we'll see if he is able to play well enough defensively to stay in the league. If so, he'll easily be worth a top 40 pick.if not.... Europe will be calling in 2 years.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Barron won't git the waivers

Hughes has shown he wont lose a young asset for free with Primeau this year.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
They wont.

Guhle
Barron
Harris
Kivacevic
Matheson
Savard

Will stay in MTL. The other 2 spots.(We'll carry 8 dman) Will be open

Hutson Reinbacher Engstrom will start in Laval. Mailloux Struble likely the guys that stay in MTL.

Hughes has shown with Primeau he wint lose a young asset for nothing.

Why are Habs helping NYR in their vap crunch by trading a.young NHL dman for crappy old players who have no shot at playing on their top9?
What happened to Wifi?

I mostly agree, but IMO Wifi needs to stay in the NHL so who does that push out? Harris or Struble? both should be in the NHL as they played decent minutes this year and proved they are NHL calibre.

I also think Kovacevic can be moved. He's a solid NHL player, but he's taking a much-needed spot. A Big RHD who's proven he can hold down decent minutes should be able to be moved.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
For those who don’t follow the Habs, the mostly likely names available would be Harris, Struble (both LD) or maybe Barron (RD) or Matheson (LD).

I'm shocked, I say, shocked to be finding out that the Canadiens might be trading one of their defensemen this summer. If only we had some way to know that this might be happening.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why are Habs helping NYR in their vap crunch by trading a.young NHL dman for crappy old players who have no shot at playing on their top9?
Vesey alone is satisfactory return if we are honest/objective here. Wenn is a freebie throw in.

Vesey should command a 3rd based on production, cost and not being too old to give 3-5 good yrs.

I get MON wants a sexier return, but consider:
Barron was a LATE 1st
setting aside any other aspect,
- he has less cost control than at start of elc that is objective fact not subjective
and
- he apparently has to clear waivers so less roster flexibility

SO, he is now worth appreciably less than 1st/2nd territory

and again, this is a gamble on potential
if he was a lefty, interest from Rs would be zero

Well, Vesey isn't a bad contract per se, he's just of no use to Montreal.

If NYR plan on moving Trouba to fix their cap crunch, that's of no concern to Montreal unless he's moved here - in which case it would likely require a sweetener of some kind.

Trouba + Kakko for Barron ? Kakko is the sweetener, to which the rental price for Trouba is likely added in March '25. This gives MTL another RD for just one season so Reinbacher and Mailloux don't need to be rushed... but they'll have room soon enough.
KK is NOT getting moved. One of the few who has actual potential beast factor, not jjust tuffness, and there is a track record, he played well on kid line w/lesser version of LaF, who advanced. Already shows good chem w/Cuylle. If Chytil returns, that's the ticket. If not, see our pivot options, likely Edstrom.
Not saying KK untouchable, but we have zero inclination to move him.

Trouba will go for cap relief.
Mutual backscratch, we will try and send to where he wants to go, and it will not be tri-state local, prob to other division, like DET.
At 1,x retained down to 6.5 per, he COMMANDS a 2nd + a 3rd for 2 yrs left on his deal.

If unlikely he somehow wanted MON relocation, we are happy to talk

Concur.

Then I wish MTL and Barron good luck, but I wouldn't want the Sharks to give that valuable a pick/prospect for Barron.
Concur x 2

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
With the signings of Lane Hutson and Adam Engstrom, Montreal open to moving a defenseman or two.

Habs listening to offers on inexpensive d-men, NHL proven, under team control for a number of years.
So the GM said he’s moving a D?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
This is where our D will be once Savard is shipped out (probably at TDL). These are the players I don't see us moving...

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Engstrom/Konyushkov

If Engstrom or Konyushkov step up, they could slide into a third pair while Mailloux moves up the lineup. Potentially making Matheson available, but MSL likes his vets and having one around to mentor is not a bad thing.

So who is available for the purposes of this thread?

Harris, Struble and Barron.

If I am being completely fair, I don't see any of the above returning more than an early 2nd on their own. If we were to package them with something like the Jet's pick, we may be able to pull an earlier first round pick or forward not quite fitting in a current system, or getting squeezed out for cap. Something like Newhook 2.0.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This is where our D will be once Savard is shipped out (probably at TDL). These are the players I don't see us moving...

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Reinbacher
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Engstrom/Konyushkov

If Engstrom or Konyushkov step up, they could slide into a third pair while Mailloux moves up the lineup. Potentially making Matheson available, but MSL likes his vets and having one around to mentor is not a bad thing.

So who is available for the purposes of this thread?

Harris, Struble and Barron.

If I am being completely fair, I don't see any of the above returning more than an early 2nd on their own. If we were to package them with something like the Jet's pick, we may be able to pull an earlier first round pick or forward not quite fitting in a current system, or getting squeezed out for cap. Something like Newhook 2.0.

Konyushkov is not available until 2026 if ever. Wouldn't really take him into consideration until he signs.

Reactions: pth2

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Well Mavrik Bourque, Holtz, Connor Zary, Hendrix Lapierre has to clear waivers next year so I guess they're not worth a 2nd round pick....

He's 6th in points and game play so far for defenceman in this draft. He's solid offensively but need work defensively, he's not available for a 2nd round pick.

• Haha
Reactions: Pierce Hawthorne

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I think Barron gets moved for a forward in a similar situation. Berggren, Lucius, Holtz all seem like possibilities.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Vesey alone is satisfactory return if we are honest/objective here. Wenn is a freebie throw in.

Vesey should command a 3rd based on production, cost and not being too old to give 3-5 good yrs.

I get MON wants a sexier return, but consider:
Barron was a LATE 1st
setting aside any other aspect,
- he has less cost control than at start of elc that is objective fact not subjective
and
- he apparently has to clear waivers so less roster flexibility

SO, he is now worth appreciably less than 1st/2nd territory

and again, this is a gamble on potential
if he was a lefty, interest from Rs would be zero

KK is NOT getting moved. One of the few who has actual potential beast factor, not jjust tuffness, and there is a track record, he played well on kid line w/lesser version of LaF, who advanced. Already shows good chem w/Cuylle. If Chytil returns, that's the ticket. If not, see our pivot options, likely Edstrom.
Not saying KK untouchable, but we have zero inclination to move him.

Trouba will go for cap relief.
Mutual backscratch, we will try and send to where he wants to go, and it will not be tri-state local, prob to other division, like DET.
At 1,x retained down to 6.5 per, he COMMANDS a 2nd + a 3rd for 2 yrs left on his deal.

If unlikely he somehow wanted MON relocation, we are happy to talk

Concur.

Concur x 2
Again. Why would Habs trade Barron, a 22 YO for a 30yo 4th liner?

If Habs are to trade Barron for a F itll be for a 22YO F with top6 potential, not a over the top 30YO 4th.liner

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I'd say they're players at pretty similar stages of their career with a similar on ice impact, similar potential, and a similar likelihood of reaching it.
Yeah not really.

Barron has 0 value to NJD. Would just be a waste of a roster spot that prevents NJD from getting a true upgrade at 2LD

Reactions: biturbo19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad