Post-Game Talk: Habs lose in OT 4-3

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Dare I say it... just sign Markov... he has lost a 1000 steps, but his IQ would make up for it on the 3rd pairing and we all know how much he could help the PP.

Bring back the General !

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Fantastic game last night. The two teams play at a very high level and make for really entertaining hockey. I would very much like to see a 7 game series it's long overdue.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Lshap

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Dare I say it... just sign Markov... he has lost a 1000 steps, but his IQ would make up for it on the 3rd pairing and we all know how much he could help the PP.

Bring back the General !

That train has pulled out of the station. I don't see any scenario where Markov would sign with Bergevin at this point. With the KHL playoffs starting in a couple of weeks, doubly so.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Hyman, Kapanen, and Nylander were the most noticeable Leafs to me last night. The Habs did a pretty good job containing Tavares and Marner for the most part until the 3 on 3 OT winner. Matthews was pretty much a complete no show.

The Habs outworked the Leafs but having more talent won the game again last night in the end. Good effort from the Habs and they could've easily won that game but they competed hard and got an important point out of it so take the point and on to the next game.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Dear Leaf fans visiting this thread and the Habs board. The quote below is an example of a perfectly fine and respectful post so props to the poster. Be more like this Leafs fan.

The post below this sentence is an example of a post that is not acceptable. Please do not be like this Leafs fan.

Thank you.

Agreed, I hate seeing troll jobs. I like some friendly chirping, but I don't believe in insults or kicking others when they are down.

I for one am beyond happy to see both teams doing well, like JT said postgame, these are the two foundational franchises, and the rivalry would be amazing in a playoff series, it would reawaken things.

It was a hard fought great game last night, it was refreshing, and I cannot wait to do it again :thumbu:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Agreed, I hate seeing troll jobs. I like some friendly chirping, but I don't believe in insults or kicking others when they are down.

I for one am beyond happy to see both teams doing well, like JT said postgame, these are the two foundational franchises, and the rivalry would be amazing in a playoff series, it would reawaken things.

It was a hard fought great game last night, it was refreshing, and I cannot wait to do it again :thumbu:

DanM as always ..your a welcome man here...we might be enemies on the ice..but you know what's going on ,and how to interact off it...A leafs fan on the Habs board who got respect of everyone here...

Last edited:
Reactions: sheed36 and DanM

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Leafs fans: A reminder that you're welcome to be part of the talk here as long as you remember that this is the Habs board. Friendly chat is cool, but nobody's interested in arguments and posturing. Most of you guys have it figured out and are terrific. The rest have had their posts deleted and have likely received infractions.

Habs fans: Same deal if you choose to post on the Leafs board.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
DanM as always ..your a welcome man here...we might be enemies on the ice..but you know what's going on ,and how to intact off it...A leafs fan on the Habs board who got respect of everyone here...

Thanks Habaneros, I appreciate that. I have honestly always had a great time chatting hockey on the Habs thread, you guys have always been class towards me.

Agreed, we can leave the animosity on the ice, but talk some awesome hockey off it. :thumbu:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I really thought we were going to win this one, it was a very winnable game. Frankly the Leafs are going nowhere in April, they have great forwards but way too many holes to do anything in the playoffs.

So weird to see comments on the main board about how the Habs could surprise "if they manage to squeak into the playoffs." Sure, squeak in. Habs are right there with Toronto in the standings, with Boston very close. A couple bad games and the Leafs could easily fall behind into a wild card spot. For such a "contender" they don't exactly have a stranglehold on top 3 in the division.

Boston/Toronto/Montreal will be jumping up and down form now till the end of the season, none of those 3 teams can say they have any spot on lockdown. A bad streak by any of those teams and they can drop to WC2 spot.

Whats interesting is that the Met is so weak this year. Boston/MTL/TOR are all pretty much better standings wise then the former powerhouses like Wash and the Pens.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Yeah it was a competitive hard fought game that could've gone either way. No team was superior to the other last night. The Leafs won fair and square but even though the Habs lost in OT they played well and went toe to toe with the more talented Leafs team. No shame in losing when you play well and give your all.

Why it's so difficult on HF for fans of different teams to have a sensible hockey discussion without adding unnecessary comments that do nothing but cause issues is beyond me. I usually try just to ignore these type posts now and look for discussions with fans that want to have a sensible hockey discussion instead.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Yeah it was a competitive hard fought game that could've gone either way. No team was superior to the other last night. The Leafs won fair and square but even though the Habs lost in OT they played well and went toe to toe with the more talented Leafs team. No shame in losing when you play well and give your all.

Why it's so difficult on HF for fans of different teams to have a sensible hockey discussion without adding unnecessary comments that do nothing but cause issues is beyond me. I usually try just to ignore these type posts now and look for discussions with fans that want to have a sensible hockey discussion instead.

Fully agreed. It was a very hard fought game, and it was up for grabs until the very end. I also think the Leafs could learn from the possession & forecheck game your guys play, I for one was very impressed. I get so sick and tired of stretch passes, and I like the way your team moves it up the ice, full marks.

I think much of HF has a hard time taking emotion out of every response, and they let it consume them. Now nobody is perfect, I have had my frustrating moments, but having a full on intelligent and respectful hockey conversation is much better than fighting or name calling.

Reactions: sheed36

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Something that sucks is that Shaws goal in his return game is being over shadowed by the loss.

Hope Byron is back soon.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
Leafs haven’t beaten the Habs this year. I don’t consider 3 on 3 hockey real hockey. They won’t have the 3 on 3 in the playoffs to save them. I felt we outplayed them at times and their defense is really bad.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
That train has pulled out of the station. I don't see any scenario where Markov would sign with Bergevin at this point. With the KHL playoffs starting in a couple of weeks, doubly so.
Well, he only needs 10 games to get to 1000 and gets to retire a hab... MB would definitely need to apologize but asking him to come back for one last round would go a long way.

Because of the KHL schedule, that's why I think it could be done... Markov could be UFA before the season's over.

I think it would be a great addition without giving awayany assets.... it's a long shot I admit, but I think it would be a smart move to appease both Markov and the fans...

Reactions: groovejuice

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Well, he only needs 10 games to get to 1000 and gets to retire a hab... MB would definitely need to apologize but asking him to come back for one last round would go a long way.

Because of the KHL schedule, that's why I think it could be done... Markov could be UFA before the season's over.

I think it would be a great addition without giving awayany assets.... it's a long shot I admit, but I think it would be a smart move to appease both Markov and the fans...
Bringing back Markov would be a great human story but a bad hockey move. I agree, sadly, that Markov's ship has sailed.

Reactions: jaffy27 and peate

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Bringing back Markov would be a great human story but a bad hockey move. I agree, sadly, that Markov's ship has sailed.
And why would that be a bad move, he'll help the PP and is better than Kulak on the 3rd pairing... and we know how he feels about the city and the jersey, it would be a great hockey move for a team like the habs who shouldn't give away future assets for a hypothetic cup run.

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
Disappointed and made a post last night about julien he’s honestly pushed all the right buttons 5 on 5 and there is no 3 on 3 in playoffs so whatever . But this team is exceeding expectations, last night we showed we can easily win a game against the leafs.. stay hungry Habs

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
And why would that be a bad move, he'll help the PP and is better than Kulak on the 3rd pairing... and we know how he feels about the city and the jersey, it would be a great hockey move for a team like the habs who shouldn't give away future assets for a hypothetic cup run.
Who knows, maybe Andre still has the legs to compete. But I'm doubtful that he can step into this speed-based system. I'd be the first one cheering for him, but chances are he's no longer what we remember.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Who knows, maybe Andre still has the legs to compete. But I'm doubtful that he can step into this speed-based system. I'd be the first one cheering for him, but chances are he's no longer what we remember.
I wouldn't expect him to play 20min a game and be Weber's partner... but I'm sure his passing skills can help jump start the counter attack and his hockey smarts makes him, I'm sure as good if not better than Kulak on the 3rd pair. On the PP, he was the reason of the habs success for many years, I doubt he lost that instinct. He's playing in the 2nd best league in the world, so it's not like he's been watching television for the last 2 years. Play him 8min 5 on 5 and 6min on the PP and PK... I'm he would be a great addition.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'm sure coming back to this mad house is the last thing on Markov's mind. He's home, married and semi-retired. Life is good. Why would he want to turn it upside down to please a few nostalgic fans.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
I'm sure coming back to this mad house is the last thing on Markov's mind. He's home, married and semi-retired. Life is good. Why would he want to turn it upside down to please a few nostalgic fans.
He still has a home here if I'm not mistaking and has the Canadian citizenship... I made it pretty clear that it's not out of nostalgia that I would want Markov back, but because he would be the best possible solution to the PP without giving away future assets (which they shouldn't do, so no Fowler and other pipe dream).

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Do you wanna lose? Get a PP just before the OT and don't register a single shot on net during the said PP, that's how you lose.

To make sure you guarantee a loss even more, use Armia on the 4 on 3 PP, instead of KK.

And then, during the 3 on 3 that followed the end of the penalty in OT, play Lehkonen, Danault and Petry against the Leafs's top players. I mean, what was Julien trying to do? Take your chances with your best skaters and scorers. Using two defensive players on the same unit in OT is doomed to fail.

Reactions: peate

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad