Post-Game Talk: Habs lose in Boston

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Bruins record vs us: 14-0-1

Pathetic is an understatement. Is there any word worse than pathetic ?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Matheson era is over.

It’s just a matter of time before MSL has no choice but to pull his head out of his ass.

Hutson is light years ahead of him offensively and Guhle is light years ahead 5-on-5.
Why? How so? Why did Pens trade him for Petry?

This is what Matheson has been his entire career, a smooth elite skating puck carrying Dman w limited offensive output and prone to a defensive gaff here & there. Solid 18-20TOI #4

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Feels a little wack to only blame Prims for this one , he wasn't great but we were awful in our own end again , pretty bad puck management from our D core , Barron Hutson and Math all had some pretty dumb clears/turnovers

Yeah, the defensive zone issues remain. I don't like whatever defensive system we're playing. It just seems to be collapse and pray we keep them to outside.

Too much pressure on the young D deep since we put almost zero pressure in neutral zone and forwards don't pressure the puck carrier all the well.

It's fun, run & gun in some ways, but the goalies are going to be facing a lot of shots again.

There seems to be not a lot of improvement in exiting our zone, and stopping the cycle.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Hutson-Guhle is a thing now and I like it
put Savard with Matheson and Barron(Struble) with Xhekaj
Barron with Matheson and Savard with Xhekaj was non sense yesterday
Savard played two shifts in the 3rd. He couldn't skate anymore.

Matheson/Savard was awful as a 1st pair when it was tried, but it might work as a 2nd pairing and MSL doesn't really have a choice since Matheson/Barron is way worst.

I think the Sens game start with the same pairing/lines the first two games started with. Habs don't have practice today. And we don't want the Anderson on the 1st line experience again...

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Why? How so? Why did Pens trade him for Petry?

This is what Matheson has been his entire career, a smooth elite skating puck carrying Dman w limited offensive output and prone to a defensive gaff here & there. Solid 18-20TOI #4
He’s not the #1 guy at EV anymore and he won’t be the #1 guy on the PP for much longer, his chickens have come home to roost.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Not enough people talking about Kirby Dach.

There's just something about this guy on the ice, he has a presence around him. He's calm, he's slick, he makes things happen more than Suzuki to be honest. If he can stay healthy I feel like he will take over as #1 C. I felt the exact same way last year.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Grate n Colorful Oz

Pure Laine Hutson
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

There's just something about this guy on the ice, he has a presence around him. He's calm, he's slick, he makes things happen more than Suzuki to be honest. If he can stay healthy I feel like he will take over as #1 C. I felt the exact same way last year.

Hope his decision-making gets better, when he has the puck.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
I guess I have a different opinion; I would rather have him get 30 starts in the NHL than 50 starts in the AHL
I'm not a fan of Primeau but if it's clear that Dobes has surpassed the AHL and Primeau keeps faltering then sure, bring Dobes up. But to me there's nothing wrong in leaving Dobes play another season in Laval.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Year after year no matter who retires, who gets moved, the Boston Bruins are always a solid, competitive team. This is what happens when you have competent managers.
I know we are finally in a rebuild but it just feels like this team is not progressing as much as we thought they would. Mediocrity has truly set in on the organization.
Were the Habs better off under George Gillette?

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Yeah, the defensive zone issues remain. I don't like whatever defensive system we're playing. It just seems to be collapse and pray we keep them to outside.

Too much pressure on the young D deep since we put almost zero pressure in neutral zone and forwards don't pressure the puck carrier all the well.

It's fun, run & gun in some ways, but the goalies are going to be facing a lot of shots again.

There seems to be not a lot of improvement in exiting our zone, and stopping the cycle.

In the 3rd, you could see that the forecheck was more effective and lots of passes or plays where broken in the B zone. Problem was that if Boston manage to get to the neutral zone.... they had an open path to the goal.

I'm like you, I dont like the transition defense system not the D scheme in our zone. That said, there are too many occasions where the puck should have clear the zone and a hab players shot on a B one, fan on a pass allowing the pressure to catch up, bad turn over, etc.

With such a bad pre-season, I think some of these are to be expected and we should give them time to adjust, but at the same time i'm slowly losing confidence in MSL being able to implement a D system that works.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Bottomshelf

Sep 16, 2019
Sens on Saturday will be a good tell on how this team really is looking early on. Both the Leafs and Boston are better teams, I think we all know that. But I’d consider us very close to the Sens

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I'm not a fan of Primeau but if it's clear that Dobes has surpassed the AHL and Primeau keeps faltering then sure, bring Dobes up. But to me there's nothing wrong in leaving Dobes play another season in Laval.
Primeau was bad last night, but Dobes probably need another season in the AHL. Dont forget that Dobes had a rought start of the season last year. you'll want to make sure that he's not reverting to that before calling him up.

Knuckles30

Jul 4, 2006

I generally agree, but his performance during the 6-4 at the end of the game was some of the worst hockey I've ever seen at the NHL level. I don't even blame him - he was clearly completely gassed (somewhat understandably starting the season with a back-to-back and having missed all of last year). I don't understand why the coaches left him out there when there were whistles and chances to sub him out.

Reactions: Andy

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Sens on Saturday will be a good tell on how this team really is looking early on. Both the Leafs and Boston are better teams, I think we all know that. But I’d consider us very close to the Sens
Hate to say it, but the Sens are better. Better goaltending and the forward group is much better.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Never fooled by that Primeau streak last year. He was always average at best.
Why not? Primeau looked much better last year. finally was looking confident in the net.

Idk what happened over the summer lol but he's looking like his old self again

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
In the 3rd, you could see that the forecheck was more effective and lots of passes or plays where broken in the B zone. Problem was that if Boston manage to get to the neutral zone.... they had an open path to the goal.

I'm like you, I dont like the transition defense system not the D scheme in our zone. That said, there are too many occasions where the puck should have clear the zone and a hab players shot on a B one, fan on a pass allowing the pressure to catch up, bad turn over, etc.

With such a bad pre-season, I think some of these are to be expected and we should give them time to adjust, but at the same time i'm slowly losing confidence in MSL being able to implement a D system that works.

Yeah, Barron needs to sit, but none of the D were good outside of Guhle & Hutson. They almost came back, too, while playing a back-to-back in Boston for their home opener.

We need to clean-up some stuff.

Like others, I'd like to see Hutson on PP1, and Matheson on PP2. They probably want Hutson to settle in a little bit. It has to happen at some point.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I generally agree, but his performance during the 6-4 at the end of the game was some of the worst hockey I've ever seen at the NHL level. I don't even blame him - he was clearly completely gassed (somewhat understandably starting the season with a back-to-back and having missed all of last year). I don't understand why the coaches left him out there when there were whistles and chances to sub him out.
Dach's line was on right before the PP and PP1 + Hutson took the ice and stayed there for the entire PP. He probably should have had someone else subbed before the PP started, but the options are limited...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad