Rumor: Habs in on Patrick Kane

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Surprised that Kane would like Montreal unless he wants to play where hockey matters and the fact the Martin St. louis would let him do his his thing.
Not surpired from Montreal. they have said publicly they want to compete for the playoffs next year and also said they are looking for short-term contracts on veterans. Marchessault, Stamkos and Perron would be in a similar position.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Really?

Just last year, Kane signed a bargain contract to play for the perennial losers in Detroit, where he bombed.
Last year he went 20-27-47 in 50 games with Detroit. How exactly is that bombing?

The team overall took a nosedive when Larkin got hurt, sure. But Kane definitely proved he can still play.

Reactions: Andrei79

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
They're licking their chops on all those draft picks they will get for him at the trade deadline as the rebuild continues and goes into phase 3 of 6

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
No thanks. Keep with the rebuild, no need to be shooting for a playoff spot right now. A couple more years and then see where they are before looking at adding a player of Kane’s ilk

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Patrick Kane is NOT playing under the Montreal media asking him questions every night.

half the rumors we see in here, is pure speculation.

It’s much more likely Kane re-signs in Detroit before Monday, as we started hearing earlier today.
This rumor came from seravelli of all people.....take it with the biggest grain of salt ever. Actually you're probably better off completely ignoring it.

With that said, Kane on 1yr deal makes sense for Habs. We need short term talent to fill out the top 6 while we wait for our prospects.

Would Kane be interested? No clue. Would take more money than other teams to persuade him. And we'd have to agree to trade him at TDL

Reactions: Petes2424

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
It cost nothing to try...

But probabilities are slim...

Don't think big UFA names are gonna come to MTL.

And I'm not convinced it would be a good thing, anyway.

I bet HuGo will settle for some 2nd tier, local middle six point producers à la David Perron, Anthony Mantha, Anthony Duclair, etc..

The goal being to add cheap depth scoring that won't be in a position to ask for long term contract.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
He's not going to Montreal it makes no sense. This hitting 5 pages shows how desperate we are for any action.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I don't really get the train of thought that he would sign a 1-year deal as long as they agree to flip him at the deadline. Those types of contracts (a la Monahan) are for players who want to reestablish their value after a rash of injuries and/or production decline. Kane did just fine in Detroit, and had no injury concerns from the time he came back. There's something to be said about building chemistry with a team over the course of a year rather than coming in as some hired gun with 15ish games left in the season. He'll go to a team he thinks gives him the best opportunity to win; I don't think he's just looking for a paycheck.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don't really get the train of thought that he would sign a 1-year deal as long as they agree to flip him at the deadline. Those types of contracts (a la Monahan) are for players who want to reestablish their value after a rash of injuries and/or production decline. Kane did just fine in Detroit, and had no injury concerns from the time he came back. There's something to be said about building chemistry with a team over the course of a year rather than coming in as some hired gun with 15ish games left in the season. He'll go to a team he thinks gives him the best opportunity to win; I don't think he's just looking for a paycheck.
Kane went to Detroit where he had a chance to make the playoffs but no chance of winning a Cup. Montreal would be a similar situation. It would depend on what other offers he gets.

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Kane went to Detroit where he had a chance to make the playoffs but no chance of winning a Cup. Montreal would be a similar situation. It would depend on what other offers he gets.
He also went to Detroit because he signed mid-year after all contenders had allocated their cap space. If there were a solid favourite that could sign him, he would most likely have gone there (assuming he wasn't interested in playing for somewhere near league minimum).

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
From Montreal's perspective, while I get the idea of being able to flip him at the deadline if you're out of it, I don't think it's the time to go hunting for a Kane type yet.

From Kane's perspective, Montreal aren't a Kane away from true contention. He's going to want to go to a contender. The only way I see him not doing so would be to go home to Buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad