Speculation: Habs finish 28th and bottom 5 in 24-25 season

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
But then you ice Beck with Armia and Anderson on his wings ? He'd need a vet too. Someone that can actually take off pressure from Beck and actually let him play, not Anderson or Gallagher or Pezzetta whos gonna drag him down.
Why can’t those guys just play that role for a year? Newhook moves down next year plus we have more guys coming.

Armia and Gallagher are fine there for now.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Why can’t those guys just play that role for a year? Newhook moves down next year plus we have more guys coming.
Because I don't want those vets dragging down a prospect. What did Slaf learn last year being dragged down and barely surviving ? It's the same principle, the moment he was given on-ice support, he soared. Why can't we take what we learned from Slaf and use it for all young player on different levels ?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Because I don't want those vets dragging down a prospect. What did Slaf learn last year being dragged down and barely surviving ? It's the same principle, the moment he was given on-ice support, he soared. Why can't we take what we learned from Slaf and use it for all young player on different levels ?
It’s a defensive role for now. There’s zero pressure on Beck to put up points. Completely different from Slaf who was a first overall pick with expectations.

Armia and Gallagher are fine there. We burn off another year of their deals and then transition those kinds of players out.

Next year Beck gets Newhook and maybe Mesar or someone like that. Or maybe we have another year of Gallagher.

The transition will take time. There’s no rush. Give more ice to young players.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It’s a defensive role for now. There’s zero pressure on Beck to put up points. Completely different from Slaf who was a first overall pick with expectations.

Armia and Gallagher are fine there. We burn off another year of their deals and then transition those kinds of players out.

Next year Beck gets Newhook and maybe Mesar or someone like that. Or maybe we have another year of Gallagher.

The transition will take time. There’s no rush. Give more ice to young players.
This isn't EA sport and you can't just fill your roster with the next prospect.

Again, what is the last succesful franchise that was brought up like this ?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This isn't EA sport and you can't just fill your roster with the next prospect.
What does EA Sport have to do with anything? The lineup already has veterans in it. We don’t need more.
Again, what is the last succesful franchise that was brought up like this ?
Who cares?

I’m not wholly opposed to bringing in a vet. If we do, that’s fine. But I don’t think we need one.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What does EA Sport have to do with anything? The lineup already has veterans in it. We don’t need more.

Who cares?

I’m not wholly opposed to bringing in a vet. If we do, that’s fine. But I don’t think we need one.
We have terrible ass vets right now. No role model, no one actually good, we have afterthought vets that should be in the AHL, it's not a plus for development, its a detriment.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We have terrible ass vets right now. No role model, no one actually good, we have afterthought vets that should be in the AHL, it's not a plus for development, its a detriment.
Suzuki’s a great vet and role model. So is CC, so is Ghule. That’s the leadership core now. They are shaping team culture, not Gallagher or Armia or Anderson. Those are bottom six players and it’s fine for Beck to start there.

Next year, he’ll get Newhook. Suddenly we have a good three lines instead of two… gradually getting better.

Like I said, I don’t think getting a vet is a terrible idea but I’d rather we build organically. I like the direction we’ve taken and I think we have the makings of a future contender.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Suzuki’s a great vet and role model. So is CC, so is Ghule. That’s the leadership core now. They are shaping team culture, not Gallagher or Armia or Anderson. Those are bottom six players and it’s fine for Beck to start there.

Next year, he’ll get Newhook. Suddenly we have a good three lines instead of two… gradually getting better.

Like I said, I don’t think getting a vet is a terrible idea but I’d rather we build organically. I like the direction we’ve taken and I think we have the makings of a future contender.
There's no way youre callign Guhle a vet... Right?

I don't think you get what Im saying. Yes Guhle has clear leadership abilities, but Guhle telling Roy something and say, Corey Perry or a vet thats played 500+ games, has PO experience, can still fill a top 6 or top RD role doesn't hold the same weight, at all.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
There's no way youre callign Guhle a vet... Right?

I don't think you get what Im saying. Yes Guhle has clear leadership abilities, but Guhle telling Roy something and say, Corey Perry or a vet thats played 500+ games, has PO experience, can still fill a top 6 or top RD role doesn't hold the same weight, at all.
I get it.

I'm just telling you that Hugo has flat out said to our young leadership core that this is your team and you're going to build the culture here. They are the vets and yeah... while those guys are young, they are the leaders.

And I think Beck has already shown he knows how to lead. Just won the Memorial and was named MVP. He doesn't need Corey Perry to show him what's what. And you were talking about putting a vet in the top six. That's completely different from adding a Corey Perry, who'd slide into the bottom six.

I don't see the rush here. If we add a vet, I'll be okay with it. But I'd actually prefer it if we don't. There's time for that later. For now just burn off the deals of Anderson and Gallagher. We're not contenders now anyway. Buying them out would only hurt us down the road. Makes no sense to do it. Just burn off another year.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I get it.

I'm just telling you that Hugo has flat out said to our young leadership core that this is your team and you're going to build the culture here. They are the vets and yeah... while those guys are young, they are the leaders.

And I think Beck has already shown he knows how to lead. Just won the Memorial and was named MVP. He doesn't need Corey Perry to show him what's what. And you were talking about putting a vet in the top six. That's completely different from adding a Corey Perry, who'd slide into the bottom six.

I don't see the rush here. If we add a vet, I'll be okay with it. But I'd actually prefer it if we don't. There's time for that later. For now just burn off the deals of Anderson and Gallagher. We're not contenders now anyway. Buying them out would only hurt us down the road. Makes no sense to do it. Just burn off another year.
Were going the Ottawa Senators way then. It's about to crash and burn.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm more optimistic than you are. I think we're building a pretty solid team. I like the mix and makeup. Maybe could use a little more size and grit up front but it's got a lot of skill.

And... we can always make changes if it's going the wrong way. It's not like we have to stick with something if it isn't working.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
The way I see it is that we've made our picks and we have our youth. It's time to surround them now. Don't p***yfoot around like others have just to have them flailing because they're the only ones we can rely on and the entirety of the pressure is on them. We literally don't have one non-core veteran forward that these guys can rely on. Not the one. I think that's a bad idea. I hope Hughes is actively trying to change this but we're not hearing anything.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The way I see it is that we've made our picks and we have our youth. It's time to surround them now. Don't p***yfoot around like others have just to have them flailing because they're the only ones we can rely on and the entirety of the pressure is on them. We literally don't have one non-core veteran forward that these guys can rely on. Not the one. I think that's a bad idea.
We're in agreement that the first line works right?
The second line would be Newhook, Dach and Roy. Two vets and a rookie. I'd say that looks like a solid line.
The bottom six is comprised almost of all vets and I'd say we add Beck.

Where do we add the vet? If you add the vet to the top six you're probably going to be blocking out Roy. If you add it to the bottom, we're already stacked there with guys with long contracts.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Habs aren't finishing with 69 points without breaking the record for game-man-lost-to-injuries for a 3rd time in 4 years.
I agree. I think we progress this year. Our D will still suck but we should be able to score a lot more goals.

A lot depends on Kirby Dach's health.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm more optimistic than you are. I think we're building a pretty solid team. I like the mix and makeup. Maybe could use a little more size and grit up front but it's got a lot of skill.

And... we can always make changes if it's going the wrong way. It's not like we have to stick with something if it isn't working.
I'm optimistic but we can't just let things go. The team needs leadership and it needs it fast, both on and off the ice. Theres so many examples of rebuilds being derailed by the lack of veteran acquisition I can't believe were actually debating this.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
We're in agreement that the first line works right?
The second line would be Newhook, Dach and Roy. Two vets and a rookie. I'd say that looks like a solid line.
The bottom six is comprised almost of all vets and I'd say we add Beck.

Where do we add the vet? If you add the vet to the top six you're probably going to be blocking out Roy. If you add it to the bottom, we're already stacked there with guys with long contracts.

I have no problem with Roy starting out on the 3rd line and nor are Dach and Newhook the kind of vets I'm talking about. They're still really young (and raw with injury issues) in the case of Dach. I'd like to see a reliable scorer that can take some of the pressure off our young guys.

The issue I'm running into is the same one that every fanbase as run into since time immemorial. Because folks here are familiar with our guys, it's very easy to go 'Ah, well organic improvements will surely lead us to go higher-up in the standings!' without realizing that every single fanbase can say the same thing about their own guys because it's the guys they follow and are familiar with.

By all means, I hope I'm wrong but I'm expecting a terrible finish and it seems like this is going to take some here by surprise. My primary hope is that guys like Suzuki and Caufield don't get immensely pissed off.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm optimistic but we can't just let things go. The team needs leadership and it needs it fast, both on and off the ice. Theres so many examples of rebuilds being derailed by the lack of veteran acquisition I can't believe were actually debating this.
Take a look at the guys in that group. All have stellar reputations. You don't have any yahoos in there. It's a very different culture and it was purposefully built that way. These guys don't need babysitters. And look what happened to Perry this year btw... :laugh:

If Kirby Dach goes down? Okay. If Beck isn't coming up... sure. But I like the top six as it is. I like Beck coming in as the 3rd line center. We've got a whack of vets in the bottom six already. So what's the rush?

Anyways, I'm totally fine with what you're saying. I don't think it's without merit but I also don't think it's some insane postion to think we can just grow organically.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I have no problem with Roy starting out on the 3rd line and nor are Dach and Newhook the kind of vets I'm talking about. They're still really young (and raw with injury issues) in the case of Dach. I'd like to see a reliable scorer that can take some of the pressure off our young guys.

The issue I'm running into is the same one that every fanbase as run into since time immemorial. Because folks here are familiar with our guys, it's very easy to go 'Ah, well organic improvements will surely lead us to go higher-up in the standings!' without realizing that every single fanbase can say the same thing about their own guys because it's the guys they follow and are familiar with.

By all means, I hope I'm wrong but I'm expecting a terrible finish and it seems like this is going to take some here by surprise. My primary hope is that guys like Suzuki and Caufield don't get immensely pissed off.
I'd have Roy on the 2nd. He's wasted on the 3rd. Dach and Newhook with him... that looks like a great line to me. They could also swap out CC with Newhook to balance things a little better. Or maybe they move Roy up with Suzuki. Either way...

But you are absolutely right to be concerned with Dach's health. That's the million dollar question right there. And if he goes down, then maybe that's where we slide a veteran in.

As for the terrible finish, I agree we'll be out of the playoffs. But I think that happens if we add a vet or not. If (and it's a big if) Dach can stay healthy, we should have two good scoring lines this year. Hutson should help the PP. The offense SHOULD be better. The D? It's still gonna suck. So, yeah... we'll miss the playoffs. But I don't think we'll be terrible. I think we'll be something like 10th. Able to smell a playoff spot but not make it. I don't think that's 'terrible' all things considered.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'd have Roy on the 2nd. He's wasted on the 3rd. Dach and Newhook with him... that looks like a great line to me. They could also swap out CC with Newhook to balance things a little better. Or maybe they move Roy up with Suzuki. Either way...

But you are absolutely right to be concerned with Dach's health. That's the million dollar question right there. And if he goes down, then maybe that's where we slide a veteran in.

As for the terrible finish, I agree we'll be out of the playoffs. But I think that happens if we add a vet or not. If (and it's a big if) Dach can stay healthy, we should have two good scoring lines this year. Hutson should help the PP. The offense SHOULD be better. The D? It's still gonna suck. So, yeah... we'll miss the playoffs. But I don't think we'll be terrible. I think we'll be something like 10th. Able to smell a playoff spot but not make it. I don't think that's 'terrible' all things considered.

I'd be ecstatic with 10th. What I mean by terrible is a year like the last two. I don't think we're getting 9th-10th with the roster as is unless our guys go on a meteoric rise (Dach, Hutson, etc.)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Ottawa isn't missing veteran presence. They brought in Giroux, Hamonic, Debrincat to guide the youth, yet their young core has so far gone nowhere. Ullmark may help, but their roster has been less than the sum of their parts.

Montreal is prioritizing internal chemistry and leadership amongst our group of kids, which I think is a major difference between us and Ottawa.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'd be ecstatic with 10th. What I mean by terrible is a year like the last two. I don't think we're getting 9th-10th with the roster as is unless our guys go on a meteoric rise (Dach, Hutson, etc.)
I don't see how we don't improve. The first line should be better. The 2nd line looks good. For the first time since the early 90s we'll have two good lines. That in itself is a big uplift.

Even if Beck makes the jump, I don't think the bottom six is going to improve much this year but I don't see how it's worse either.

The D will probably be the same. We'll have younger players establishing themselves. But Hutson should really help the PP. I expect that we'll see a big bump there.

Again, it really comes down to Dach being healthy. If he is, we'll score more and be a better team. If he goes down again, we have to go get somebody. We can't just leave it as is again.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I don't get the as-is comments. Half the roster is U25, many key players are still developing, top-end rookies are being added. How can this roster remain as-is?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I don't get the as-is comments. Half the roster is U25, many key players are still developing, top-end rookies are being added. How can this roster remain as-is?

Every other bottom feeder can make that same argument. Columbus will be looking at their young guys to take that step forward, so will Chicago, so will San Jose, so will Philadelphia with Michkov coming over, so will Utah with their guys + adding Sergachev, so will New Jersey...

I'm expecting personal progression from our young guys as well and I hope I'm wrong, I hope it's enough to get us competing late into the year but this is the offseason where every fanbase is right to be hopeful until they're not anymore when the games start.

Based on late-season reporting (+ acknowledged once more by Basu on the podcast he did with Godin that was shared here) my biggest worry is discontent/jadedness from young veterans like Suzuki and Caufield. The one thing I really don't want is these guys coming to the rink in that state of mind because it's year 4 of a ton of losses and their GM got them no help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad