Habs Draft Needs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
How? We don't have the assets for this unless we trade our 1st 2025+ one of the untouchable we don't want to move.

Need to get those big boss by drafting.
There's no one you don't want to move for an elite #1C or #1D, because what you're getting in return is a better player.

In response to the OP, the organizational needs seem pretty obvious:

1) A true #1D, or at least a high-end offensive defenseman that's competent enough to handle tough matchups defensively, in case Hutson isn't that.

2) A #1BC to play behind Suzuki if Dach doesn't work out.

3) A top 6 winger who plays a grinder's style. Someone like Hyman.

Last edited:

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
I guess we can just pick bpa next draft, with the -/+ 8th pick... but i would rather package the pick for a solid defenseman. Unless we win the lottery of course, we pick the big skilled fwd...

But sooner than later we will need a young vet on the back end

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Prospect pool as come a long way in a couple of years. We went from not being able to choose the most impt need because we needed everything to not being able to decide because we have a bit of everything already

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Now that we picked Demidov and Hage, what is our biggest need? Another potential 1st liner or a top pairing defenseman that is more offense oriented than Reinbacher/Guhle? Are we confident enough that Hutson can be our PP1 QB and be decent enough at 5 v 5 (maybe in limited minutes)?

Could we get either of those with the 9th-12th pick?

We have so many young players, I find it harder to find a glaring hole in our (future) line-up than not too long ago. We've come a long way, even though we still have a ton of work to do.

I think we need to let this season play out and we will have a better idea. Still a lot of questions with several players.

* We know what we got with Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle IMO

* How good is Slaf. How much more growth comes.

* What does Demidov do in the KHL. Is it meh or does he turn heads by dominating that league right away. If he does, it's star potential. If he doesn't, still doesn't mean he's not a very good top 6F.

* What kind of season do we get from Dach? We were expecting a break out last year and looked like it was coming but then got that deflating injury.

* How good is Roy? Big season for him

* How good is Primeau? Does he take another step forward or not? He really impressed me last year. How good is Fowler?

* Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux, Xhekaj. We will know a lot more after this season.

* Beck, Kapanen, Hage, Koivu. Center depth is very solid now. Do all 4 take steps forward as we expect?

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
If by Xmas we get the feeling we'll be drafting outside of the top 8 and just miss on the big, feisty forwards, we need to see what can be obtained with that pick on the market.

I am keeping a very close eye at Dobson for the following reasons:
- We can finally check off our RD1 off the list and move on to be a serious team
- We can safely assume either Reinbacher or Mailloux will almost certainly be good enough for RD2
- Hopefully Dobson is smart enough to realize NYI is going nowhere for the duration of his prime. Seriously, go look at their roster and depth chart, they are SOOOO sh*t. Dobson might want out next summer (RFA), especially if we start some elite covert poaching...
- I don't think we have quite the urgency for fwd talent after this weekend. We need size and grit for sure, but there are many ways to address that as we start contending.

I think a package of say 11OA + Mailloux + one of Beck/Hage/Kapanen is a hard one to turn down, and we can afford it for:
Guhle-Dobson
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Anyone

I can only see Buffalo rival with that 2026-2030 defence, and you just know they'll find a way to F it up.
Some people might say that Mailloux could produce close to Dobson's clip in the future, and hence this would be a bad trade. However IMO the peace of mind we'd get on the defensive side of things with Dobson is something we'll never get from Mailloux, and the pairs just work better imo.

Reactions: Frozenice

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I think we're missing an Iginla/Leonard type player in our lineup. Not a superstar, but just an overall really hard-working player that we can plug anywhere in the lineup. Ideally with top-line potential, but even someone like MBN this year would be someone I'd target.

However, I think we'll be able to have a better idea of how Mailloux/Hutson evolve as players this year, which would allow us to see if we need another offensive D (would probably lean RD).

I like Tanner Jeannot's game and is the type of player you can put anywhere. Same with Eeli Tolvanen.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
I think we need to let this season play out and we will have a better idea. Still a lot of questions with several players.

* We know what we got with Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle IMO

* How good is Slaf. How much more growth comes.

* What does Demidov do in the KHL. Is it meh or does he turn heads by dominating that league right away. If he does, it's star potential. If he doesn't, still doesn't mean he's not a very good top 6F.

* What kind of season do we get from Dach? We were expecting a break out last year and looked like it was coming but then got that deflating injury.

* How good is Roy? Big season for him

* How good is Primeau? Does he take another step forward or not? He really impressed me last year. How good is Fowler?

* Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux, Xhekaj. We will know a lot more after this season.

* Beck, Kapanen, Hage, Koivu. Center depth is very solid now. Do all 4 take steps forward as we expect?

I agree with most of this, but what Demidov does next year doesn't reduce his potential. Let's not be impatient with him right from the start!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree with most of this, but what Demidov does next year doesn't reduce his potential. Let's not be impatient with him right from the start!

I kind of said that as well but in a different way.

If he dominates the KHL right away, that is an early sign of star level. If he doesn't dominate the KHL and is meh at age 19, it still don't mean he can't be a very good top 6F. Usually, the stars shine earlier. It's the same with Hutson this year. Does he struggle defensively against men or does he perform well at both ends. If he shows ability to provide stable D, he's making the NHL. If he shows struggle, it's AHL time first.

Every season moving forward now is huge. The ones we think are good, have to remain on great development tracks. The biggest hurdle is turning pro.

7 years between Suzuki and Demidov. Suzuki is 25 this season but we really won't know how good this roster is until Suzuki is 27/28 and Demidov is 20/21.... everyone else in the middle. Yes, we will have others we draft who fall behind this 7 year spread but the heart of our core is in place. The future picks are gravy on top.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnapVirus

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
There's no one you don't want to move for an elite #1C or #1D, because what you're getting in return is a better player.

In response to the OP, the organizational needs seem pretty obvious:

1) A true #1D, or at least a high-end offensive defenseman that's competent enough to handle tough matchups defensively, in case Hutson isn't that.

2) A #1BC to play behind Suzuki if Dach doesn't work out.

3) A top 6 winger who plays a grinder's style. Someone like Hyman.

Our Hyman is Roy
Not that Hutson can't fail, but given that we have Hutson, that's not our top priority by definition.

Our top and only priority is a #1C - Hell I would trade all our draft pick next year and Dach and one of our top D prospect to draft Hagens.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
In order of importance:

Top line two-way forward
#1 Goaltender
#3 Defensive RD
Bottom 6 wingers with size
A Left-handed C

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Value in a trade does not match, they're not top 10 prospects basically.

Doesn't matter if you think they could be as good.

What does their trade value have to do with if they are high end prospects or not, goalies don't carry the same trade value to begin with. I'd be real interested to see what goalie prospects are better then Volokhin/Fowler.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I really like the idea of bringing in or drafting a C who takes pride in the defensive side of the game. I know Beck is fantastic on the draw and I've heard good things about Kapanen but are they real shutdown C's?

NewDef

Nov 2, 2015
If by Xmas we get the feeling we'll be drafting outside of the top 8 and just miss on the big, feisty forwards, we need to see what can be obtained with that pick on the market.

I am keeping a very close eye at Dobson for the following reasons:
- We can finally check off our RD1 off the list and move on to be a serious team
- We can safely assume either Reinbacher or Mailloux will almost certainly be good enough for RD2
- Hopefully Dobson is smart enough to realize NYI is going nowhere for the duration of his prime. Seriously, go look at their roster and depth chart, they are SOOOO sh*t. Dobson might want out next summer (RFA), especially if we start some elite covert poaching...
- I don't think we have quite the urgency for fwd talent after this weekend. We need size and grit for sure, but there are many ways to address that as we start contending.

I think a package of say 11OA + Mailloux + one of Beck/Hage/Kapanen is a hard one to turn down, and we can afford it for:
Guhle-Dobson
Hutson-Reinbacher
Xhekaj-Anyone

I can only see Buffalo rival with that 2026-2030 defence, and you just know they'll find a way to F it up.
Some people might say that Mailloux could produce close to Dobson's clip in the future, and hence this would be a bad trade. However IMO the peace of mind we'd get on the defensive side of things with Dobson is something we'll never get from Mailloux, and the pairs just work better imo.
I'd love Dobson. Konyushkov could play right on that 3rd pair but I see Mailloux in my dreams playing with Xhekaj hence I'd rather part with Barron/Engstrom/Harris than Mailloux and Konyushkov.

Still, if it costs Mailloux I'd be sad but eh, it's Dobson... one gets over it .

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
What does their trade value have to do with if they are high end prospects or not, goalies don't carry the same trade value to begin with. I'd be real interested to see what goalie prospects are better then Volokhin/Fowler.

There are other lists around. When I read my top 10 prospects for the Habs, it goes: W, RD, C, LD, RD, C, W, LD, G, C.

We have several graduated W (slaf), so imho we're lacking better G.

If we had Askarov, where would he rank?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

There are other lists around. When I read my top 10 prospects for the Habs, it goes: W, RD, C, LD, RD, C, W, LD, G, C.

We have several graduated W (slaf), so imho we're lacking better G.

If we had Askarov, where would he rank?

Askarov is the best goalie prospect in the world. However, Fowler and Volokhin are pretty much as good as it gets in the next tier.

We don't need to push things to get Askarov. If we didn't have Fowler or Volokhin, then yeah, you'd get more aggressive.

Reactions: montreal

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Askarov is the best goalie prospect in the world. However, Fowler and Volokhin are pretty much as good as it gets in the next tier.

We don't need to push things to get Askarov. If we didn't have Fowler or Volokhin, then yeah, you'd get more aggressive.
I'm not stating we need to trade for Askarov. I'm answering the thread asking what's our top drafting need.

I think G is it, although a power forward might be in demand and a though to play against high-end D would also change the top 10 favorably.

Folks who don't like following needs on draft day shouldn't answer the thread :P

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm not stating we need to trade for Askarov. I'm answering the thread asking what's our top drafting need.

I think G is it, although a power forward might be in demand and a though to play against high-end D would also change the top 10 favorably.

Folks who don't like following needs on draft day shouldn't answer the thread :P

I still don't agree that it is our top drafting need. We have Dobes who was stellar after adjusting to the AHL. We have Volokhin who is one of the top goalie prospects in Russia. We have Fowler who just set a NCAA record for wins and looks like a top goalie prospect in the world, as well. Then you have Miller who has a lot of potential and was doing very well in the QMJHL prior to his injury and will get Memorial Cup exposure this year.

We need more skill and size up front, that is our biggest drafting need.

Reactions: vokiel and montreal

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I still don't agree that it is our top drafting need. We have Dobes who was stellar after adjusting to the AHL. We have Volokhin who is one of the top goalie prospects in Russia. We have Fowler who just set a NCAA record for wins and looks like a top goalie prospect in the world, as well. Then you have Miller who has a lot of potential and was doing very well in the QMJHL prior to his injury and will get Memorial Cup exposure this year.

We need more skill and size up front, that is our biggest drafting need.
And our current two goalies are very young with unknown upside.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad