Habs Draft Needs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think getting a c through draft that's truly elite and better than Suzuki requires winning the lottery in the right year. I'm not really seeing that player in 2025. We won't be in the lottery in 2026.

That means through trade OR UFA. They don't hit the market in their prime. They don't get traded very often either. So, unless HuGo make a massive pitch for Draisaitl in trade or UFA, I think we have to fill from within.

Can Dach finally play a full(ish) season? I hope so. I think the offensive skill is there to produce at Suzuki levels if he can stay healthy. His ability to play off the rush AND cycle is a luxury. Having two center icemen that can produce at or near ppg pace would be great to have.

Ultimately, goals are the priority. A power forward with great hands and finish would be great. Someone to add to Dach's wing.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Loved Spence last season, i don't think we'll be picking too high next season, closer to top 10, Spence could be a realistic target assuming everything falls into place.

Obviously the dream would be getting someone like Hagens/Martone/Misa etc. but I doubt we'll be drafting in that range. Who knows tho, maybe Florida/Calgary gonna gift us something good next season ;)

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
We need a star forward playing on a different line than Suzuki, a Erik Cole type and a big physical centre on the bottom lines.

On defense, we can’t expect to win in the playoffs with Harris, Baron and Hutson. Need more size and toughness.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
We need a star forward playing on a different line than Suzuki, a Erik Cole type and a big physical centre on the bottom lines.

On defense, we can’t expect to win in the playoffs with Harris, Baron and Hutson. Need more size and toughness.
well we have Engstrom/Reinbacher/Mailloux coming, they're all legit prospects

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

Baron's days are numbered unless he does anything about it , i think he's a guy that will be better when he's older , somebody will probably take his spot before then

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
It's hard to choose a specific position which I think shows the prospect pool is well balanced.

In order of priority, I'd go:
1. RD: insurance in case one of Reinbacher or Mailloux flops
2. Big talented center: Dach insurance
3. Powerforward, north-south type of scoring winger

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Needs in general
1- Finding a number 1 goalie (already in house or outside)
2- A solid top-3 D (determining what we have on hand exactly / going on the market if need be later on)
3- A Third Line center and a pair of Wingers that can play top-6 or top-9 depending on need.

Draft needs: BPA

Reactions: ElQuebecois

Angler

Apr 23, 2017
I think the Habs are in a spot where there is no glaring weakness, so I'd say just choose the best player available regardless of position. With that said, another solid Defenseman would be really nice. A power forward would help too, but that might be found on free agency or through a trade.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
we are drafting top 3 next year so we will be set. We have not gotten better, the other teams around us have, and that's ok. Some real gems next year!
It doesn't fail, every summer I read this from someone after July 1st.... and yet all these teams supposedly stronger now fail miserably anyway. Ok maybe Nashville will be better (other conference). Last year it was new-jersey, Buffalo, etc

Meanwhile, how youths get more and more experienced....

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
We don't need anything really, we have all the pieces needed to be a cup contender. Obviously we could upgrade certain parts to have an even better team.

For people saying we need a 1C, we already have a 1C in Suzuki. He's not Mcdavid/Mackinnon level, but he's on the same tier as guys like Barkov, Aho, Point.

Suzuki was near ppg this past season. Imagine now adding Demidov and a prime Slafkovsky on his wing, getting to play with Hutson, and playing on a much better powerplay.

He should be able to score 90 pts.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
Damn! So if I get it right, we missing everything, Cs, wingers, Ds and Gs also size and toughness and scoring.
I'd add we missing coaches and a competent zamboni driver, also youpi is far from being an elite mascot.
Breath dammit, we just had a fantastic week, just be happy you maniacs

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Damn! So if I get it right, we missing everything, Cs, wingers, Ds and Gs also size and toughness and scoring.
I'd add we missing coaches and a competent zamboni driver, also youpi is far from being an elite mascot.
Breath dammit, we just had a fantastic week, just be happy you maniacs

Too many people who "do their own research" around here when that is clearly something that they should leave to others.

Reactions: Miller Time

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Between Reinbacher, Barron, Mailloux and Konyushkov on RD and LD Gulhe. Hutson, Xhekaj, Struble, Harris, I feel that is already as good as some playoff team and it will only get better, even if we are missing one guy I feel that will be able to adress it via UFA or trade. We will be able to trade a Savard and Matheson over the next 2 seasons.

Our issue is up front 1st CC, Suzuki, Slaf, Dach, Demidov need to be legit /high end top 6, +we need 2 more impact player up front (even if it is as a top 9) with size would be a ideal but we need 3 good bottom six guys. But we need to get bigger, faster and more skills,

And we likely need a upgrade in net but this is the last piece of the puzzle dans need to be fix...

CC Suzuki Slaf
XXX Dach Demidov
XXX Hage XXX
XXX Beck XXX

Guhle Barron
Hutson Reinbacher
Xhekaj Mailloux
Struble Konyuskov

Montembeault
Flower

Last edited:

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
We need defensemen who can be elite defensively. I'm not sure we have that in the pipeline. Reinbacher is the only prospect who allegedly has the potential. I expected Guhle to be great defensively, but I can't say he has been.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
It doesn't fail, every summer I read this from someone after July 1st.... and yet all these teams supposedly stronger now fail miserably anyway. Ok maybe Nashville will be better (other conference). Last year it was new-jersey, Buffalo, etc

Meanwhile, how youths get more and more experienced....

I'm ok with the team being bottom again this year, I honestly think the teams around us got better so I'm all for it. Instead of patching it up with Bergevin UFA's , let it bake for another year and it will get better

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Now that we picked Demidov and Hage, what is our biggest need? Another potential 1st liner or a top pairing defenseman that is more offense oriented than Reinbacher/Guhle? Are we confident enough that Hutson can be our PP1 QB and be decent enough at 5 v 5 (maybe in limited minutes)?

Could we get either of those with the 9th-12th pick?

We have so many young players, I find it harder to find a glaring hole in our (future) line-up than not too long ago. We've come a long way, even though we still have a ton of work to do.

BPA
Extra '26 & '27 first round picks
Patience

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad