Habs Draft Needs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
One thing I'll add, the fact that we have a hard(er) time to pinpoint exactly what we lack is a GREAT sign about the state of the rebuild.

Hopefully one more year of development for our youngsters gives us an answer.

Reactions: vokiel

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The same as it’s been for the last 30+ years: a big elite 1C. So draft-wise, a prospect with realistic potential to become that.

Roger McQueen next year? :naughty:

Reactions: Gravity

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I still find there are a lot of needs.

The biggest one would likely be an high end goaltender. We've seen what Price could do to teams, imagine if the roster two or three years from now has an elite netminder.

Another high end center would be nice as well. Maybe that's Dach or Hage. Or maybe even Demidov if he truly invests the position (he played at C at the MHL level).

We still don't know whether there's truly a shut down center.

While there's a lot of depth on defense, it remains to be seen if there's a true 1D a la Pietrangelo/Doughty/Heiskanen/Makar/Hedman. I don't think it's necessary, but it would help quite a bit.

Maybe those get developed within the organization, but there's nothing stopping the team from trying to add. The danger is becoming the Hurricanes or Rangers that have depth, but are just missing one or two pieces. I think the issue is we really don't know what we have within the org.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Another elite winger to support Dach and Demidov's trio, although this could be done via trade.
Sounds like a good plan to be top heavy like the Leafs.

Until one emerges out of that group it would be wise to continue scouting and drafting them.
I don't know shit about our goalie prospect, but ain't no way we raise the cup with our boy Montembault. Good guy, not a #1.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
One thing I'll add, the fact that we have a hard(er) time to pinpoint exactly what we lack is a GREAT sign about the state of the rebuild.

Hopefully one more year of development for our youngsters gives us an answer.
It's also hard to look 2-3 years in advance then hypothesize: "If all the picks we make in the next few drafts fail, which position suffers the most."

RD, Goaltender or Power Forward seem higher risks.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
It's also hard to look 2-3 years in advance then hypothesize: "If all the picks we make in the next few drafts fail, which position suffers the most."

RD, Goaltender or Power Forward seem higher risks.
Askarov, McGrogro from Winnipeg and draft the RD.

Unfortunately we probably don't have the piece to get Askarov and the big guy from Winnipeg.

We might have to get lucky with our late first in 2025 on a goalie, like TBL did with Vasilevsky.

Reactions: Gustave

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Askarov, McGrogro from Winnipeg and draft the RD.

Unfortunately we probably don't have the piece to get Askarov and the big guy from Winnipeg.

We might have to get lucky with our late first in 2025 on a goalie, like TBL did with Vasilevsky.
Not sure we can address draft needs through trade. It's purely a scouting job. So in 2025, if there's a highly touted goaltender available and we still have a late first. I would think we pick him.

Just thinking longer term, than current roster needs. McGro and Askarov would be for the roster.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
I still find there are a lot of needs.

The biggest one would likely be an high end goaltender. We've seen what Price could do to teams, imagine if the roster two or three years from now has an elite netminder.
Isn't Fowler projecting to be a high level goalie or is he too far away? Trade him in a package for Askarov? Not sure we have what Nashville is looking for.

Leto

The Conciliator
Feb 16, 2023
Urth
Isn't Fowler projecting to be a high level goalie or is he too far away? Trade him in a package for Askarov? Not sure we have what Nashville is looking for.

Good of you to ask(arov). Here's what Friedman wrote recently:
Nashville’s told teams — and there are a lot of interested parties — that the price for Yaroslav Askarov is either a current NHLer or a similarly highly-rated prospect who is not a goalie.

Reactions: Deebs

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
we are drafting top 3 next year so we will be set. We have not gotten better, the other teams around us have, and that's ok. Some real gems next year!

Reactions: BoneHutson

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
we are drafting top 3 next year so we will be set. We have not gotten better, the other teams around us have, and that's ok. Some real gems next year!
We definitely aren't top 3 next year, I'd say closer to 10

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
We definitely aren't top 3 next year, I'd say closer to 10

I don't think so. The sharks and hawks, columbus will be better, so will Anaheim. The East is strong, I don't see much changing. We may be more exciting but lots of losses, and let's just assume massive injuries

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
I don't think so. The sharks and hawks, columbus will be better, so will Anaheim. The East is strong, I don't see much changing. We may be more exciting but lots of losses, and let's just assume massive injuries
Injuries always play a huge role for sure.

Sharks, Hawks, Jackets, Flames, Pens, Caps, Wild, Flyers, Utah, Kraken....I'm thinking we have a good shot of getting in front of those teams this year.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
The Hawks the year prior to drafting Connor Bedard had 59 points.

Last season with him: 52 points.

Takes more than one player to move the needle much, believe the Oilers have proven that over the years. Need a bunch of good player decisions, drafting, trades & free agents to build a top team.

Reactions: Habs Icing

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Nice to see that a pretty highly touted recent 1st rounder is only 7th best prospect.
means pool is getting deep (I'd get Kapanen/Engstrom in there over Mesar/Farrell)

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 5.37.42 PM.png

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I think we're missing an Iginla/Leonard type player in our lineup. Not a superstar, but just an overall really hard-working player that we can plug anywhere in the lineup. Ideally with top-line potential, but even someone like MBN this year would be someone I'd target.

However, I think we'll be able to have a better idea of how Mailloux/Hutson evolve as players this year, which would allow us to see if we need another offensive D (would probably lean RD).
Sounds like Dach to me.

Reactions: AHShadow

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Injuries always play a huge role for sure.

Sharks, Hawks, Jackets, Flames, Pens, Caps, Wild, Flyers, Utah, Kraken....I'm thinking we have a good shot of getting in front of those teams this year.

I feel with the FA market and the other teams got better and I want one more year at the bottom, to load up for the future. Will be fun to watch

Reactions: ElQuebecois

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad