Habs Draft Needs

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Now that we picked Demidov and Hage, what is our biggest need? Another potential 1st liner or a top pairing defenseman that is more offense oriented than Reinbacher/Guhle? Are we confident enough that Hutson can be our PP1 QB and be decent enough at 5 v 5 (maybe in limited minutes)?

Could we get either of those with the 9th-12th pick?

We have so many young players, I find it harder to find a glaring hole in our (future) line-up than not too long ago. We've come a long way, even though we still have a ton of work to do.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Now that we picked Demidov and Hage, what is our biggest need? Another potential 1st liner or a top pairing defenseman that is more offense oriented than Reinbacher/Guhle? Are we confident enough that Hutson can be our PP1 QB and be decent enough at 5 v 5 (maybe in limited minutes)?

We have so many young players, I find it harder to find a glaring hole in our (future) line-up than not too long ago. We've come a long way, even though we still have a ton of work to do.

I think our biggest need is another larger sized forward with offensive skills.

Slaf and Dach are good. Demidov and Suzuki grade out as average. Caufield is small.

A McQueen, Martone, even Spence who isn't big but will be thick like a Leonard.. one of those guys should round everything out especially.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

Slaf and Dach are good. Demidov and Suzuki grade out as average. Caufield is small.

A McQueen, Martone, even Spence who isn't big but will be thick like a Leonard.. one of those guys should round everything out especially.
Spence is around the 6ft2, 200 mark right now. He's a big boy too, he just looks small standing next to McQueen and Martone :laugh: These two are freaking enormous.

• Haha
Reactions: Leto

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore

Yeah, can't go wrong with some size. I just worry that our D maybe won't be championship caliber, although we have a lot of nice pieces. There's always the trade option to fix that too.

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ

I think that the Habs still need an elite #1 center to truly take the next step into true Cup contenders. Just imagine Suzuki as a 2nd center.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I hope we take Eiserman first overall.

Funny thing is, I'm not sure what our biggest need is right now. We seem pretty stocked top to bottom. Goalie or center maybe but for where we'll pick, I don't think we'd get an upgrade over what we already have.
RD to me.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Maybe. Even there though, RB and Mailloux are a good start.
Not complaining trust me, but they’ll graduate soon so we’ll be barren.

I almost like what Chicago tried to pull with Cbus and it inspired me; I would’ve done the 2025 pick to Ottawa for Yakemchuk. Gives us another dimension on the right side. Just shooting the shit. :laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
People compared his situation to Oliver Wahlstrom before the draft and I can unfortunately see it playing out the same way
He’s still very young. A year in Boston might help him. And hopefully for his sake he’s learned some humility.

We’ll see though. No guarantees with him.

Reactions: badfish

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015

I think we're missing an Iginla/Leonard type player in our lineup. Not a superstar, but just an overall really hard-working player that we can plug anywhere in the lineup. Ideally with top-line potential, but even someone like MBN this year would be someone I'd target.

However, I think we'll be able to have a better idea of how Mailloux/Hutson evolve as players this year, which would allow us to see if we need another offensive D (would probably lean RD).

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I moved this to it's own thread so the draft thread since it's an interesting topic for the summer.

Got to build up the center position.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
A #1 superstar defenseman. Like a Makar/Josi/Fox. But I would settle for a big boy qb like Hedman or Pietrangelo (the big boy qb might even be better, seing how many of stanley cup those two have compare to the first group).

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
W: Demidov, Roy, Mesar, Erikson, Tuch
C: Hage, Beck, Kapanen, Florian X
LD: Hutson, Struble, Engstrom
RD: Rein, Mailloux, Kony
G: Fowler, Volohkin, Miller

I’m forgetting but of the top of my head and before this thing refreshes, that’s our most promising ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91 and ottawa

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Two organisational needs in my view: top 6 offensive player, big physical shut down RD.

Part of me want another C and move Dach to the W. A slaf, suzuki, dach line would be fun to watch i think. Put Cole and Demidov with a big C

On D, i would like to see this at some point
Guhle/Reinbacher
Hutson/big RD
Xhekaj/Mailloux

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Size and more skill.

Obviously don't draft a Henriksson, but the Habs still need more size in their prospect pool..

I must say I am liking them... I guess targeting players with a mean streak.

I think teams are starting to realize that the NHL is turning so soft that if you have a tough team you can bully the league.

I mean, look at how people tried to say how tough Tampa, or Florida is. Neither were, they just swarmed people.

If the Habs don't do well this is another draft with prospects with size that will be available.

I don't think it was the entire draft, but very few players 5'10 and under were drafted as a whole. I remember seeing something like there were only 4 and I have to imagine that was after round 2, but maybe it was the whole draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad