Proposal: Habs - Devils trade

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
The difference between pick that WPG pick and 10th overall is much more than Xhekaj. Whether you value him as a 1st rounder or not (in which I wouldn't...you can find a defensive dman like him every year in free agency or trade a 3rd round pick for one) he just doesn't get you up that far.
If this were true every single team in the league would have a player like Xhekaj. He's also not a defensive D, truly I don't know if I've ever seen so many people build such entrenched opinions about a player they have never bothered to watch

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Romanov returned a 13th.

So Habs will trade all their spare dmen Struble, Harris, Arber, Barron and leave the draft with 6 1st.

Spare dmen easily replaced by Hutson, Mailloux, then Reinbacher.

Roster makes playoffs and compete for cup.

God this is too easy.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
this years UFA list currently.

Myers
Zadorov
Dillon
Grzelcyk
Edmundson
Scandella
Lyubushkin

and on and on...

Point being that you can get a 3rd pairing defense pretty easy. You want one that can do their main job which is playing DEFENSE. Having one that can fight is nice but it's dessert, not something you give up top assets for.
None of these are 23 years old and cost controlled, which is the premium you're paying. And none of these have any potential left.

Reactions: viceroy

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
If this were true every single team in the league would have a player like Xhekaj. He's also not a defensive D, truly I don't know if I've ever seen so many people build such entrenched opinions about a player they have never bothered to watch
The guy has 90 career games and averages 15mins/game and some of these comments make it sound like he's a hot commodity around the league. You can get a player who does what he does in free agency or cheap through trade every year. He won't exactly be Arber Xhekaj, maybe he's older, maybe not signed as long, whatever...either way it's not difficult to find a big defenseman to play on the bottom pair.

If he's not a defensive D what is he then? Didn't realize calling someone with 23 career points a defensive D was so out to lunch.

None of these are 23 years old and cost controlled, which is the premium you're paying. And none of these have any potential left.
Yes they're all older but that also means they are more established, and some of them actually are better offensively than Xhekaj.

What potential do you think he still has to reach? His final year in the OHL was the only time in his recorded hockey career he's scored more than 6 goals in a season. It's not like he'll be getting PP time on an NHL team.

A bottom pairing D is not worth a premium. No one will trade down from 10 to 25 when they can get someone in free agency who does exactly the same as AX minus some PIMs.

Reactions: Xirik

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The guy has 90 career games and averages 15mins/game and some of these comments make it sound like he's a hot commodity around the league. You can get a player who does what he does in free agency or cheap through trade every year. He won't exactly be Arber Xhekaj, maybe he's older, maybe not signed as long, whatever...either way it's not difficult to find a big defenseman to play on the bottom pair.

If he's not a defensive D what is he then? Didn't realize calling someone with 23 career points a defensive D was so out to lunch.

Yes they're all older but that also means they are more established, and some of them actually are better offensively than Xhekaj.

What potential do you think he still has to reach? His final year in the OHL was the only time in his recorded hockey career he's scored more than 6 goals in a season. It's not like he'll be getting PP time on an NHL team.

A bottom pairing D is not worth a premium. No one will trade down from 10 to 25 when they can get someone in free agency who does exactly the same as AX minus some PIMs.
He's literally been the 2nd most used D on the PP in the last two season, lol.

All your opinion stems from the DB page, I'm not sure why you're do strongly opiniated when you clearly are ill-informed on this very subject. It's okay to not know everything.

There's very little chance either player end up solely being #5s, they're both going to be top 4 Ds.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

Again, this whole post so clearly reads of someone who is literally just looking at Arber's hockey reference page and has decided that's enough to build a firm opinion on.

He's raw as hell and his potential upside as a second pairing D who is an absolute menace physically is not worth trading for peanuts. Don't think many defensive D are seeing time running point on the PP. You're comparing him to 30 year olds like he's a finished product as well. There are maybe 10 players in the NHL that bring the intimidation factor around the level of Xhekaj and literally only one, Tom Wilson, outside of Xhekaj can actually play.

Reactions: viceroy

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He's literally been the 2nd most used D on the PP in the last two season, lol.

All your opinion stems from the DB page, I'm not sure why you're do strongly opiniated when you clearly are ill-informed on this very subject. It's okay to not know everything.

There's very little chance either player end up solely being #5s, they're both going to be top 4 Ds.
Okay and again, he won't be on the PP when you have Matheson, Hutson, Mailloux, whoever else coming up. Also, if he's been the 2nd most used D on the powerplay where is the production to show that's a good spot to play him? Why was Montreal the 6th worst PP in the league?

Listen I think he's a solid player, and would love if the sharks had someone as fun to watch as him...but my argument here is he's not as valuable as an asset as made out to be in this thread.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
this years UFA list currently.

Myers
Zadorov
Dillon
Grzelcyk
Edmundson
Scandella
Lyubushkin

and on and on...

Point being that you can get a 3rd pairing defense pretty easy. You want one that can do their main job which is playing DEFENSE. Having one that can fight is nice but it's dessert, not something you give up top assets for.
So which one is 23 years old and has tons more room to grow, can hit, and fight like Arber?

• Haha
Reactions: viceroy and Xirik

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Again, no argument whatsoever from you aside from this, hilarious. It's fine if you don't know the situation in MTL.

I'd accept the thesis that Lou overpaid for Romanov, that he did. I won't accept that the value of Romanov is higher than the other two.

Struble is less "proven", which could affect his value negatively and Xhekaj has a injury history, which could affect his value negatively. Those two things are the only difference between Romanov and these two.
The word "could"as a negative is revelent but not the main driver in evaluation of a player at this point in his development. Trading for a player at this stage you don't make the trade based on his what you project as his floor but what his likely ceiling is. If you low ball someone else may pick the player up ahead of you and you have missed the opportunity.

Romanov returned a 13th.

So Habs will trade all their spare dmen Struble, Harris, Arber, Barron and leave the draft with 6 1st.

Spare dmen easily replaced by Hutson, Mailloux, then Reinbacher.

Roster makes playoffs and compete for cup.

God this is too easy.
Sarcasm?
Built a Strawman to attack there

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Again, no argument whatsoever from you aside from this, hilarious. It's fine if you don't know the situation in MTL.

I'd accept the thesis that Lou overpaid for Romanov, that he did. I won't accept that the value of Romanov is higher than the other two.

Struble is less "proven", which could affect his value negatively and Xhekaj has a injury history, which could affect his value negatively. Those two things are the only difference between Romanov and these two.
Eh I don't know about that, Romanov was playing 20 minutes a game in his last year for Montreal. I'd say his value was probably closer to Guhle than those two at the time of trade

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Okay and again, he won't be on the PP when you have Matheson, Hutson, Mailloux, whoever else coming up. Also, if he's been the 2nd most used D on the powerplay where is the production to show that's a good spot to play him? Why was Montreal the 6th worst PP in the league?

Listen I think he's a solid player, and would love if the sharks had someone as fun to watch as him...but my argument here is he's not as valuable as an asset as made out to be in this thread.
He's not a great PP player, I think that's clear. He did however play there, which disproves your prior claim that he is a defensive D. He's not, he's a two way D with a lot of potential. His growth is not usual, but it is very real.

My argument is that a player that is almost 100% in the same situation as Arber got traded for a 13th. Tell me they overpaid for him and I'll agree. Don't tell me he's worth a 2nd.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Eh I don't know about that, Romanov was playing 20 minutes a game in his last year for Montreal. I'd say his value was probably closer to Guhle than those two at the time of trade
Strictly using playing time isn't very telling. Romanov wasn't even close to being as good as Guhle, not defensively and surely not offensively.

Romanovs competition was Wideman and Edmundson.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
So 61 posts into this thread and no one mentioned something of significant of the Winnipeg pick. They lost in the first round and dependent on who and when move on through the playoffs the Winnipeg pick may move up significantly ergo becoming more valuable.:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

• Haha
Reactions: TBF1972

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
So 61 posts into this thread and no one mentioned something of significant of the Winnipeg pick. They lost in the first round and dependent on who and when move on through the playoffs the Winnipeg pick may move up significantly ergo becoming more valuable.:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:
Cool!

Let me bite this off before it's said then.

No interest in trading the Devils 1st round pick for the 17th/18th/19th/etc + Xhekaj

Also, No one mentioned that the 10th pick is lottery pick so it could be anything! Even a boat!

Why didn't Lou just sign Ben Chiarot then instead of trading Romanov for the 13th overall?
Romanov is better the Xhekaj.

Last edited:

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Again, this whole post so clearly reads of someone who is literally just looking at Arber's hockey reference page and has decided that's enough to build a firm opinion on.

He's raw as hell and his potential upside as a second pairing D who is an absolute menace physically is not worth trading for peanuts. Don't think many defensive D are seeing time running point on the PP. You're comparing him to 30 year olds like he's a finished product as well. There are maybe 10 players in the NHL that bring the intimidation factor around the level of Xhekaj and literally only one, Tom Wilson, outside of Xhekaj can actually play.

Why is it that everyone on the Habs seems to be this unique unicorn? Josh Anderson was also such a valuable and unique player on a “great” contract that plenty of Habs fans were pounding their fists on the table screaming that he was a great centerpiece for a 2nd overall pick (Nemec).

Sure, I think most Devils fans would love to have Xhekaj, but he’s nowhere near worth dropping out of the top 10 for.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Xhekaj is so last season. Rempe is the new league darling for the violence set.
rempe.jpg

Reactions: My3Sons and bud12

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Why is it that everyone on the Habs seems to be this unique unicorn? Josh Anderson was also such a valuable and unique player on a “great” contract that plenty of Habs fans were pounding their fists on the table screaming that he was a great centerpiece for a 2nd overall pick (Nemec).

Sure, I think most Devils fans would love to have Xhekaj, but he’s nowhere near worth dropping out of the top 10 for.
To the Anderson for Nemec bit - there most definitely were not "plenty" of Habs fans saying that lol. Most didn't want to give him away for free last year I'll give you that, that was clearly a mistake and allegedly Hughes turned down at least one offer at the draft so that sucks

And that's fine, I have not at any point said the original trade is good value for the Devils, that's not the point I addressed

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
To the Anderson for Nemec bit - there most definitely were not "plenty" of Habs fans saying that lol. Most didn't want to give him away for free last year I'll give you that, that was clearly a mistake and allegedly Hughes turned down at least one offer at the draft so that sucks

And that's fine, I have not at any point said the original trade is good value for the Devils, that's not the point I addressed

Ohh, trust me. Yes there were.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad