Proposal: Habs - Devils trade

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
The difference between pick that WPG pick and 10th overall is much more than Xhekaj. Whether you value him as a 1st rounder or not (in which I wouldn't...you can find a defensive dman like him every year in free agency or trade a 3rd round pick for one) he just doesn't get you up that far.
You can find an Arber Xhekaj every year in free agency, or get one for a third-round pick- really? So why doesn't every team have an Arber Xhekaj?

Reactions: viceroy

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Romanov was playing 20 and a half minutes in his last season in MTL. Xhekaj was toiling in the minors for part of the year and played under 16 a game. I don’t see the comp.
When he was playing 20 minutes, in his second season, he was ahead of Edmundson who played 20 games and Wideman. Xhekaj and Struble are both blocked by Guhle and Matheson while blocking each other. That's a very bad way of assessing two players situation.

Xhekaj went in the minor for exactly that reason, there's 5 NHL LD's in Montreal.
That’s your opinion and probably some revisionist history.
It's an opinion from a guy that's seen all their pro career games as habs. I loved Romanov and was pretty pissed when they traded him away, I love the other two just as much, although Struble is a fairly distant third in potential, only due to his lack of offensive flair.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
You can find an Arber Xhekaj every year in free agency, or get one for a third-round pick- really? So why doesn't every team have an Arber Xhekaj?
A) Maybe he's just not that good of a player? Lol

B) I said you can find defensive defensmen every year for cheap. Maybe they're older, maybe they won't fight like him...either way it's not an expensive/hard position to fill.

Why would you move down from 10OA to get Xhekaj when you could just sign Zadorov (or insert another Big defensive D here) in free agency? And before you said he's younger and cheaper...sure, that doesn't make him some valuable piece worth moving to 10th overall.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
When he was playing 20 minutes, in his second season, he was ahead of Edmundson who played 20 games and Wideman. Xhekaj and Struble are both blocked by Guhle and Matheson while blocking each other. That's a very bad way of assessing two players situation.

Xhekaj went in the minor for exactly that reason, there's 5 NHL LD's in Montreal.
When you can’t beat out those players, you don’t get traded for a top 10 pick.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada

So what you literally just said is Romanov outplayed some players to earn 20 min/game while Xhekaj and Struble haven't.

If what you're saying about MTL having 5 NHL LD it means:

A) In the next year or two Montreal has the best defense in the league due to their insane depth
B) Teams realize MTL can't hold onto all of these players and they either end up on waivers, or get traded for a lesser asset (2nd-4th round pick depending on the player) before getting to that point

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
When you don't beat out who ? Matheson ? He's just had a 60 points season, lol. Guhle ? Do you know who Guhle is ? He's a top pair D at 22 ???
Okay man. He is not even remotely close to worth anything resembling a top 10 pick. My god.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So what you literally just said is Romanov outplayed some players to earn 20 min/game while Xhekaj and Struble haven't.

If what you're saying about MTL having 5 NHL LD it means:

A) In the next year or two Montreal has the best defense in the league due to their insane depth
B) Teams realize MTL can't hold onto all of these players and they either end up on waivers, or get traded for a lesser asset (2nd-4th round pick depending on the player) before getting to that point
Xhekaj outplayed the same player Romanov did last year to be a regular ?

I understand what you're trying to do but it's pretty clear none of you Devils fans have any idea of the situation in Montréal lmao.

Depth = talent now ? The team has 8-9 NHL regulars but they're not stars. Guhle is the only top pairing D the Habs have, they're not going to be the best squad in the league lol.

Xhekaj and Struble are currently both #4-5, just like Romanov was at the same age.

They're more than likely to trade Harris, Barron or Kovacevic for cheap than give Xhekaj for a 2nd.

Okay man. He is not even remotely close to worth anything resembling a top 10 pick. My god.
But Romanov was ? And it seems like a good trade two years later, as he's one of their three best defender. I guess he may be worth a top 15 but not a top 10 pick.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Xhekaj outplayed the same player Romanov did last year to be a regular ?

I understand what you're trying to do but it's pretty clear none of you Devils fans have any idea of the situation in Montréal lmao.

Depth = talent now ? The team has 8-9 NHL regulars but they're not stars. Guhle is the only top pairing D the Habs have, they're not going to be the best squad in the league lol.

Xhekaj and Struble are currently both #4-5, just like Romanov was at the same age.

They're more than likely to trade Harris, Barron or Kovacevic for cheap than give Xhekaj for a 2nd.
What part of that posters Brent Burns Sharks picture screams Devil fan?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Comparing him to a 20+ minute defenseman again.
Again, no argument whatsoever from you aside from this, hilarious. It's fine if you don't know the situation in MTL.

I'd accept the thesis that Lou overpaid for Romanov, that he did. I won't accept that the value of Romanov is higher than the other two.

Struble is less "proven", which could affect his value negatively and Xhekaj has a injury history, which could affect his value negatively. Those two things are the only difference between Romanov and these two.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Again, no argument whatsoever from you aside from this, hilarious. It's fine if you don't know the situation in MTL.

I'd accept the thesis that Lou overpaid for Romanov, that he did. I won't accept that the value of Romanov is higher than the other two.

Struble is less "proven", which could affect his value negatively and Xhekaj has an injury history, which could affect his value negatively. Those two things are the only difference between Romanov and these two.
He’s also just not that good and is a penalty machine, ignoring all other context that makes him not at all worth a top 10 pick.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Xhekaj would not make the Devils NHL squad. He can barely make a bottom feeding team's NHL squad as we saw this past year.

We all tend to fall in love with certain players who we see as being better than they actually are. I don't think Xhekaj holds much value league-wide. I feel that he held more value last year imo but his deficiencies have become much more apparent.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I'm guessing he's now a Devils fans from the Meier connection ? Voilà. Point still stands whether he's a fan of the Devils or not, he has no idea of the situation and seemingly other devils fans too.
Sure, thhaaaaat makes sense, I suggest you read post 6 paragraph 1 in this thread and change Habs to Devils

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
With that said I don't know why the Devils would want to add Struble or Xhekaj when they already have Bahl playing a similar grit role.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
He had 46 PIM and drew 41 PIMs. The rest are majors.

His differential is lower than Hamilton, Bahl and Smith.

He does play physical though, which gets you penalized.

Again...
Lol, lower than Bahl and Smith. The freshest smelling turd.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
No thanks, Xhekaj is not available.
It's nice to see Habs fans using such great manners when they disagree.

Anyways, I like this more then 2022 2nd overall for Anderson so I give the OP some props.

Why do so many Habs fans seem to want Devils 1st round picks every year? Is it just because we haven't given you one? Is this all about the chase and once you get one from us you won't care about us at all?:cry:

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Not enough value for the devils but Xhekaj is going no where

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
It's nice to see Habs fans using such great manners when they disagree.

Anyways, I like this more then 2022 2nd overall for Anderson so I give the OP some props.

Why do so many Habs fans seem to want Devils 1st round picks every year? Is it just because we haven't given you one? Is this all about the chase and once you get one from us you won't care about us at all?:cry:
Honestly I don't want that 1st round pick..... but I would like Mercer!

• Haha
Reactions: TBF1972

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Really. Like who?
this years UFA list currently.

Myers
Zadorov
Dillon
Grzelcyk
Edmundson
Scandella
Lyubushkin

and on and on...

Point being that you can get a 3rd pairing defense pretty easy. You want one that can do their main job which is playing DEFENSE. Having one that can fight is nice but it's dessert, not something you give up top assets for.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: