Proposal: Habs - Devils trade

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
One of Jersey's biggest needs might be size on D or the top 6. The Habs have a shit ton of LD depth and one could consider getting solid value back

How about if the Habs send Xhekaj and the Jets first pick to the Devils for the Devils 1st pick?

Does it seem like fair value?

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
One of Jersey's biggest needs might be size on D or the top 6. The Habs have a shit ton of LD depth and one could consider getting solid value back

How about if the Habs send Xhekaj and the Jets first pick to the Devils for the Devils 1st pick?

Does it seem like fair value?
Xhekaj value might be around a late 1st. two late 1sts won’t get you a 10OA. Maybe a mid 1st like 14-15OA.

Reactions: samsagat

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Xhekaj is only worth 10th overall in Habsland, where Justin Barron, Jayden Struble, and Jordan Harris are also worth first round picks.

Just awful player evaluation, OP.
First, it’s Xhekaj + a late 1st.

Second Xhekaj is not worth a 10OA overall of course (and I never heard anybody saying that) but a late 1st is what it would take to get him. So please if you want to troll, get your facts straight at the very least.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Xhekaj is only worth 10th overall in Habsland, where Justin Barron, Jayden Struble, and Jordan Harris are also worth first round picks.

Just awful player evaluation, OP.

Grouping the entire Habs fans base into one opinion is on you and your ignorance. You also didn't comprehend Xhekaj Plus late 1st as a package well.

In truth, Habs should not be trading Xhekaj. Hard to say how good he will be but he's not the one we want to unload. If we reach the playoffs in the next 3 years, he will be a very valuable piece for us in the physical areas of the playoffs.

Harris is meh. Good bottom pairing guy who does the little things well. Not overly small or big.

Barron is raw still. Good size/skating/shot power but has to mature in his own end. I prefer to keep him to see where he ends up at before I unload for cheap. Could be part of a trade package.

Struble is on a steep learning curve. Showed maturity at fast rate last year in his 1st pro season.

Last edited:

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
My issue with this deal is that Montreal is more likely to move a pick for a skater than a skater for a pick. Moreso a unicorn like Xhekaj.

Reading is hard.
Phone's auto correct can sometimes miss hard

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
The difference between pick that WPG pick and 10th overall is much more than Xhekaj. Whether you value him as a 1st rounder or not (in which I wouldn't...you can find a defensive dman like him every year in free agency or trade a 3rd round pick for one) he just doesn't get you up that far.

Not to mention a) draft day trades to move up almost always only include picks, not depth players like this (or the Struble/Harris/whatever proposals)
b) a team hasn't traded down from the top-10 in years (let alone a year like this where this is a significant drop off after the 13-15 range)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
First, it’s Xhekaj + a late 1st.

Second Xhekaj is not worth a 10OA overall of course (and I never heard anybody saying that) but a late 1st is what it would take to get him. So please if you want to troll, get your facts straight at the very least.
Big assumption..his value is lste 1dt. ...

How often have you seen s team with 2 1dtd in 20+ range get a top 10 pick?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I really don’t understand why anyone would think a depth player on a pretty bad team would be involved in a trade with a piece as valuable as a top 10 pick. Far more established players like Ryan Graves and John Marino went for nothing like that. He has about as many games under his belt as Siegenthaler when he was traded.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I really don’t understand why anyone would think a depth player on a pretty bad team would be involved in a trade with a piece as valuable as a top 10 pick. Far more established players like Ryan Graves and John Marino went for nothing like that. He has about as many games under his belt as Siegenthaler when he was traded.
Because team control and cheap salary is worth a lot more than you think. Again, Romanov.

Reactions: Toene

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Why doe montreal think every player is worth a 2st?

You could package EPG snf him snf move up a couple spots

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Romanov also has/had a higher perceived ceiling. That trade isn’t really proving to be some home run either.
Not really no. They all have 2nd pairing ceiling. They all bring physicality, they all have good size, Romanov was 22 when traded, same age as Strubnle, younger than Xhekaj.

Xhekaj has the higher offensive potential and he's of course a unicorn because he's can be a heavyweight type of fighter, but he also has a injury history which should pretty much make that a null difference.

• Haha
Reactions: TS Quint

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Not really no. They all have 2nd pairing ceiling. They all bring physicality, they all have good size, Romanov was 22 when traded, same age as Strubnle, younger than Xhekaj.

Xhekaj has the higher offensive potential and he's of course a unicorn because he's can be a heavyweight type of fighter, but he also has a injury history which should pretty much make that a null difference.

That’s your opinion and probably some revisionist history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad