Post-Game Talk: Habs defeat the evil Senators at the Bell Centre

habmercy

Aug 19, 2017
If we want to contend for a playoff spot we have to win in our division and we're of to the right start. Gallagher looking great. The time off may have rejuvenated him. Dach looks like he can be dominant on the power play with that number one line and we have a good competition between the two power play units. Defense looks pretty solid and we have a lot of depth. I am impressed by our speed this year. If we're skating we are going to cause problems for a lot of teams. So far so good. It is great to see Caufield start hot. Goal scoring was a big problem in the past especially with our forwards.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Caufield looks faster.
Gallagher as well.
Hutson IQ is a game-changer for this team.

Gallagher can get a lot of flack, but he's really good along the boards.

I think he just might be healthy. Maybe it's pressure from kids trying to take their spot. He looked cooked for most of last year. The last month or so, he and Armia found a step. I thought it might be just that other teams were feeling the grind of the season.

There's no question though, both guys have a step they didn't have this time last year.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Gallagher can get a lot of flack, but he's really good along the boards.

He definitely trained for speed this summer. He gained a step back, and it's helping his game a lot. If this play keeps up (25g/50 pts, strong on the boards), he might be back to earning his salary. I call him Gimli (sorry for the mental picture; it's hard to unsee it once you have the mental link).

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This is exactly why giving over 10% of your cap to a starting goalie is a dumb idea. The difference between a good goalie and an elite goalie is negligible. But one is paid 5 mil more. This isn't cope but id rather have money at below 4 mil than seayman at above 8 mil
The problem is there's no generational goalie in the NHL atm. The talent at the goalie position is pretty thin imo if you compare to other positions. So yeah probably better to not give too much to a goalie since you'll never have a prime Hasek in your face,

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
#Hutsonon1PP please

Honestly, the 2nd wave is suddenly the 1st PP wave. I feel like they have more possession and distribute the puck better and Hutson is the main reason why. I mean, no disrespect to Armia and Gallagher, but Lane's PP wave is with those two guys and in other years, PPs with those two players were bad.

Newhook is the only player on the second wave that belongs on a PP.

I also liked what I saw from Kapanen on the PP, opening himself up in the slot. Once he works on firing the puck one-timer, he'll score more often.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
The problem is there's no generational goalie in the NHL atm. The talent at the goalie position is pretty thin imo if you compare to other positions. So yeah probably better to not give too much to a goalie since you'll never have a prime Hasek in your face,
Shesterkin is an elite goalie. It’s a much harder position to play now than even 10 years ago.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
If we want to contend for a playoff spot we have to win in our division and we're of to the right start. Gallagher looking great. The time off may have rejuvenated him. Dach looks like he can be dominant on the power play with that number one line and we have a good competition between the two power play units. Defense looks pretty solid and we have a lot of depth. I am impressed by our speed this year. If we're skating we are going to cause problems for a lot of teams. So far so good. It is great to see Caufield start hot. Goal scoring was a big problem in the past especially with our forwards.
RW Baby it's all I talked about over the summer OTL won't do it.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He definitely trained for speed this summer. He gained a step back, and it's helping his game a lot. If this play keeps up (25g/50 pts, strong on the boards), he might be back to earning his salary. I call him Gimli (sorry for the mental picture; it's hard to unsee it once you have the mental link).

I won't go as far as saying 25 goals and 50 pts. He is in a bottom-6 role and I love that he's embraced it. I think it's more about staying healthy with him. Last year, he missed 5 games and they were all due to suspension. He was healthy for the first time in years. And he had 16 goals and 31 pts in 77 GP. That's solid production from a bottom-6 player.s

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
True but I do think besides Hasek, Roy and Brodeur during the dead puck era, this era is probably closer to what goalies should be. The Crosby ovi era had the best goaltenders all in their prime imo.

Price, Lundquist, Quick, Fleury, Rinne, Luongo, Thomas circa 2012-14 would all easily be top 3 goalies nowadays

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad