Proposal: Habs - Caps (Petry with Retention)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Habs are willing to retain down to $4M or $4.5M on Petry, is there interest? Not sure if you are high on Schultz this season but we could take him back or you can flip him for another pick if you acquire Petry and need cap space?

Any Interest? I think Petry fits the Ovechkin window and at $4M -$4.5M, it's a good piece to have behind Carlson on the right side?

Might not go well but if you are interested with that kind of retention, I'm thinking a late 1st and prospect (Lapierre). Too high of a futures price to swallow? 1st rounder does not have to be this draft. Could be 23 with protection

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
If the Habs are willing to retain down to $4M or $4.5M on Petry, is there interest? Not sure if you are high on Schultz this season but we could take him back or you can flip him for another pick if you acquire Petry and need cap space?

Any Interest? I think Petry fits the Ovechkin window and at $4M -$4.5M, it's a good piece to have behind Carlson on the right side?

Might not go well but if you are interested with that kind of retention, I'm thinking a late 1st and prospect (Lapierre). Too high of a futures price to swallow? 1st rounder does not have to be this draft. Could be 23 with protection
Montreal trading Petry isn't likely to happen.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I don't know so I would not put probability on it. Bergevin is not our GM anymore bud
Montreal currently don't have a general manager .
As bad as Petry has played so far this season he still isn't likely to be traded .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Montreal currently doesn't have a general manager .
As bad as Petry has played so far this season he still isn't likely to be traded .

You have zero evidence to prove the the probability either way. And trade can happen now or at the deadline. Habs will have a GM by the deadline but it's a weak point cause Gorton is able to negotiate trades. In fact, he will be involved in any trade we make even after we hire a GM.

What's your approach here? Habs won't be sellers at the deadline. We are only going to trade pending UFA's only?

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
You have zero evidence to prove the the probability either way. And trade can happen now or at the deadline. Habs will have a GM by the deadline but it's a weak point cause Gorton is able to negotiate trades. In fact, he will be involved in any trade we make even after we hire a GM.

What's your approach here? Habs won't be sellers at the deadline. We are only going to trade pending UFA's only?
The salary cap floor is over 60, 000,000 if you think ownership is trading every player with term and higher salaries your going to be disappointed .

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Yes they do and yes he will be traded if anyone is interested enough. Just like 95% of the players in the league.
They aren't retaining over 30 % he's still their best RD he isn't likely to be traded until they have someone to replace him .

Last edited:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
They aren't retaining over 30% he's still their best RD he isn't likely to be traded until they have someone to replace him .

who cares if he is their best rd? They are terrible so anything that can bring in the most picks and prospects.

who said they won't retain? do you have inside info that the rest of us don't have? if so please share!!!

Reactions: Mandalorian

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
who cares if he is their best rd? They are terrible so anything that can bring in the most picks and prospects.

who said they won't retain? do you have inside info that the rest of us don't have? if so please share!!!
Petry isn't likely to be traded you not liking it doesn't matter
If they do trade Petry and do retain salary it's unlikely that they retain over 30% suggested earlier post but even retaining 25 % isn't likely unless another team is willing to overpay for him which isn't likely to happen either.

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Petry isn't likely to be traded you not liking it doesn't matter
If they do trade Petry and do retain salary it's unlikely that they retain over 30% suggested earlier post but even retaining 25 % isn't likely unless another team is willing to overpay for him which isn't likely to happen either.
Don't know what they will do with Petry but if they can get a 1st i'd say we go for it.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009

I could totally see the Caps having interest in Petry if retained down to $4-$4.5. He replaces Schultz who's a UFA and Petry is the better defender. I also could see the Caps focus being on this season and the next, after that there is a lot roster movement and expiring contracts, so the Caps might be happy to take the chance on Petry for 2 playoff runs and then see where the chips lie. I would think the Caps 1st would be part of the deal. I would be reluctant to offer more if I was the Caps.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

Petry has another 3 years beyond this season. Retaining on him handcuffs the team into when they’ll be relevant again. I agree they won’t retain

Reactions: teddygmr

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Would Washington be interested in upgrading Schultz for Petry? Yes. Would they be willing to spend a 1st and Hendrix to do that? Solid no. Schultz is a 3rd pair defenseman. The Caps have Carlson and Jensen ahead of him and will have no power play time available to speak of.

A 2nd round pick, a 2nd tier(played in the nhl this season) prospect, and Schultz? Sure

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Would Washington be interested in upgrading Schultz for Petry? Yes. Would they be willing to spend a 1st and Hendrix to do that? Solid no. Schultz is a 3rd pair defenseman. The Caps have Carlson and Jensen ahead of him and will have no power play time available to speak of.

A 2nd round pick, a 2nd tier(played in the nhl this season) prospect, and Schultz? Sure
No thanks

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Now that's a solid NO from the Habs.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Mtl isn’t going to retain on Petry for the duration of his contract and if they don’t the Caps won’t even pay a 1st for Petry at Full Salary.

A 1st + Lapierre?

The Caps wouldn’t even trade that for a Retained Petry.

I doubt the Caps consider ANY OFFER for Lapierre today and IF they would, this OFFER certainly isn’t it.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Sure. Understood. The fact remains that the holed filled is a 3rd pair defenseman. Would you spend a 1st and a top prospect for 3rd pairiing d?
He’s not a 3rd pair d. If that’s the hole the caps need filled, cool. It’s not a fit. But dont assign that value to a player who is obviously much better

Reactions: txpd

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Might the Caps be interested in this player? Sure, I guess... Would they be remotely interested in paying the kinds of prices alluded to here? Absolutely not. If anything, the contract term is a real hindrance to a deal, especially at the trade deadline.

At the deadline, they probably won't be looking to add a single defenseman, focusing instead on forward depth and maybe a veteran goaltender if one shakes loose (not that this was an invitation for a conversation on Price or Allen). The Caps have had solid performances from the young players and journeymen who have stepped in this season on defense. This is probably the defense corps they take to the playoffs.

Just focus on shedding rentals at the deadline. The Habs will certainly be doing so. They will find more takers for players that they want to trade with term (Petry, Gallagher, even Price, etc.) in the summer.

Reactions: Hivemind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad