Post-Game Talk: Habs can't stop a puck or stay healthy. Rags wipe out Habs in Montreal.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There are a boatload of elite vets who've had -3 games in the last two weeks. Malkin twice, Hamilton twice. Makar, Crosby, Rielly, Schenn, OEL, Tavares, Stamkos, Tanev, Marner, Matthews, Ekblad, ELindholm, McKinnon and many others.

It should be expected from a rookie foisted on the first pair of a shit roster with not even 10 games of pro experience.
1 game out of 7 with a few mistakes
But still was habs best offensive d man

I expected this tbh.

Last year we overachieved because of hot goaltending and all those OT games. How many times we also ended up playing the opponent's backup?
This year (at least for now), teams are actually taking us seriously and people are all surprised we suck so bad.
This is still a bottom 3 forward core.

Kudos for Matheson for having the balls to fight Trouba, Dach was closer but chickened out.
Not sure I'd call that fighting
This team needs an enforcer and overall toughing up

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
and the lack of depth to overcome major pieces of the line-up being out,
Technically, on paper they have the depth, but:
- Newhook and Armia looks nothing like the players who finished the season on the 2nd line last year.
- Dvorak has regressed into an AHL twinner.
- Savard has regressed badly.
- Matheson has only been worst every season since he joined the team.

People keep saying Dach is "the" problem, but the reality is that Dach being bad after not playing for a season was expected. Players who were there last year and played well are now playing like crap is the actual problem.

As I read yesterday: if Evans is your best player on every shifts, you got a serious problem.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Just heard the post game interviews :slaugh:

Is 20 wins achievable?

1000011250.jpg

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
The simple truth is, many here don't have the required patience for a rebuild, but guess what? Better get used to it. This is the shithole Bergevin left us with. There's no miracle trade, no signing or coach that will alleviate our woes. Our asset base was demolished, no matter if a few remnants like Suz, CC and Guhle were a part of it. That asset base won't get significantly raised by trades. There's hardly players willing to sign here to raise that asset base either, and no coach will come with a magic wand to turn frogs into princes.

In other words : we haven't suffered enough. There is far more pain to come.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Does anyone still believe Primeau is an NHL goalie at this point? The guy can't stop clean wrist shots from the point or most things that go to his glove side.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Does anyone still believe Primeau is an NHL goalie at this point? The guy can't stop clean wrist shots from the point or most things that go to his glove side.
The fifth goal killed us after Suzuki got our juices flowing. They claimed Dvorak screened him but I'm not buying it.
Bottom line we aren't going to win many games giving up 27 shots from the slot vs 7.
These numbers were given a while before the end of the game so I don't even know what the final tally was.

Habs

Who needs Michkov when you've got Bustbacher
Feb 28, 2002
Part of prob is Savard has been not so good
He was supposed to back up Hutson
Savard hasn't had a plus game yet

I mean Savard has been bad, but Hutson has to smarten up. He's constantly out of position and playing an offensive game that isn't going to work well here without an absolute beast backing him up for his lack of awareness. Kid has great instincts but he's awful the other way in his young career.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Technically, on paper they have the depth, but:
- Newhook and Armia looks nothing like the players who finished the season on the 2nd line last year.
- Dvorak has regressed into an AHL twinner.
- Savard has regressed badly.
- Matheson has only been worst every season since he joined the team.

People keep saying Dach is "the" problem, but the reality is that Dach being bad after not playing for a season was expected. Players who were there last year and played well are now playing like crap is the actual problem.

As I read yesterday: if Evans is your best player on every shifts, you got a serious problem.
There's lot of focus on the first line not playing well but they are all ppg players at the moment and their +/- ratio range from -2 to +1 which is actually good the way the defense and goalies have been playing.

The whole bottom 9 is problematic if we want to be honest. Evans, Heineman, Anderson and Gallagher have been fine but the rest is pretty much invisible. And even Anderson and Gallagher they have been fine but not sure i'd go as far as saying great i mean they do their job but they are not really hard to play against like you ideally would want your bottom 6 to be.

Dvorak is trash. Armia is invisible. Newhook is not working he got to skate he has nothing else to offer. Dach is struggling out there i'll give him a pass since he has not played last year. Savard well like i've been saying since last year the mid 30ies wall doesn't spare anybody.

I wonder if KH can wait the TDL to ship Dvorak and Armia out. I feel like if someone is interested now even for just a 5th i'd move them.

Reactions: morhilane

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Part of prob is Savard has been not so good
He was supposed to back up Hutson
Savard hasn't had a plus game yet
Definitely I am on record saying a Savard Hutson was probably not a great idea before the season started.
I am also on record saying I don't think a Matheson Hutson left side in the top 4 is going to work in the NHL.
Mailkin owned them and the Rangers bigger bottom players did a number on them last knight.
We aren't using our assets properly that is on coaching.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I mean Savard has been bad, but Hutson has to smarten up. He's constantly out of position and playing an offensive game that isn't going to work well here without an absolute beast backing him up for his lack of awareness. Kid has great instincts but he's awful the other way in his young career.
Suzuki has been fine his last three games. He's the only player who seems to be able to link up anything.

Reactions: Habs

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Definitely I am on record saying a Savard Hutson was probably not a great idea before the season started.
I am also on record saying I don't think a Matheson Hutson left side in the top 4 is going to work in the NHL.
Mailkin owned them and the Rangers bigger bottom players did a number on them last knight.
Looks like Ghule and Hutson was the best pairing on the team by a country Mile

Suzuki has been fine his last three games. He's the only player who seems to be able to link up anything.
Suzuki has to lead some like he did last nite

Grate n Colorful Oz

The Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Oh yeah, we have many LHD to replace Hutson and Matheson and be effective on the top 4. Totally on coaching.

There's literally no one to put there, but them, as much as there's no one to put at Guhle's place on the right side. MSL is stuck with the little he has to work with.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Looks like Ghule and Hutson was the best pairing on the team by a country Mile

Suzuki has to lead some like he did last nite
Guhle and Hutson are not a pairing you can bet the farm on at least not yet.
A very short sample and the work load will affect the Kid I think we are exposing him needlessly.
While they looked good when paired together long term stability is not a given.
As far as Suzuki goes he's been much better than what we read here and I am usually very critical being a huge fan.
Sluggish to start the season but is anyone surprised after that shit show of camp.
LOL I said yesterday before the game Suzuki at 5 points in 6 games is him stating the season on fire. :laugh:

People really lose their minds after losses lol
Not really six pretty bad "team" games out of seven is what most aren't liking.

Habs

Who needs Michkov when you've got Bustbacher
Feb 28, 2002
People really lose their minds after losses lol

No it's the way we lose, no energy, no physicality , another game with a CH laying on the ice. It sucks watching your favorite team being victimized all the time. That hit last night had shades of Kyle Maclaren and Zednik, and NOBODY was going to stand up for their teammate so Brisebois of all people came in yelling lol.

What does it say about the makeup of your young core when nobody is on the same page or look interested in defense at all, or sticking up for each other. Brutal. It's not a good look at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad