Proposal: Habs 5th for Farabee and Frost

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Frost and Farabee are 3rd liners at their peak (25 years old) ?
A #5 will be a top 6 for 10 years minimum, (starting in 2 years though)
The answer is pretty obvious.

Can't beleive you're a Habs fan,,,

Uh no. Farabee I think was PPG and our best player for half of the year. Most of his points came early and then sputtered out with I think a 17 game drought. To me that is expected after injuries like his. Same with Couts. Farabee is likely a 70 pt player next year with better usage and not a 32nd PP.

Frost will be less consistent but can be a 2C. We will see. He has looked like one at times for sure.

There is not a huge consensus from 3-14 this year. No way I make this deal.

Feb 5, 2016
This would be like undoing the Brayden Schenn trade to St. Louis for the two 1st round picks that would eventually become Morgan Frost (2017) and Joel Farabee (2018).

I don’t how the Flyers could pull off a trade like this considering they’d be losing two roster players with nothing immediately guaranteed in return, development wise.

The price of signing free agents to fill Frost’s and Farabee’s vacant roster spots would probably cost just as much if not more, the cap should be going up by about $5mil for the 2024-25 season but the Flyers already have their backs up against the salary cap wall and may have to use LTIR with Ellis again to stay compliant.

Don’t get me wrong if Artyom Levshunov or Ivan Demidov were available at #5 and Montreal offered me that deal, I would hard pressed not to pass it up.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
Uh no. Farabee I think was PPG and our best player for half of the year. Most of his points came early and then sputtered out with I think a 17 game drought. To me that is expected after injuries like his. Same with Couts. Farabee is likely a 70 pt player next year with better usage and not a 32nd PP.

Frost will be less consistent but can be a 2C. We will see. He has looked like one at times for sure.

There is not a huge consensus from 3-14 this year. No way I make this deal.
Farabee had 34pts in the first 44games followed by 16pts in 38games

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
These guys don't offer anything to their teams; neither of them shoot, neither of them are big or physical, neither of them kill penalties. They're average or below average at everything so you never want them on the ice because there's always someone better for the job. Fake 2nd liners for bubble teams. Same story as all the other generic tanker stars: Tatar, Nyquist, Domi, Kuzmenko, Kerfoot, Strome, etc. Tippett is a far better target from Philadelphia he actually shoots and hits. Frankly I'd get rid of Newhook I think he's the same as these guys. I don't know who you think is the franchise dman at 5 but you don't trade a franchise dman for two UFA level band-aids.
Woof, what an awful take based on no knowledge whatsoever of these players.

If I were the Flyers I wouldn't trade Farabee for the 5th alone, let alone adding Frost. Frost is a lot more debatable but he has great upside and could easily hit it if he's given the opportunity too. Which, sadly, doesn't seem super likely in PHI. But I would still much rather just get rid of Torts than trade him for the 5th pick. I think the Flyers will probably be more than happy to just keep their assets and pick at 12.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Farabee is someone I would be interested in. Untapped potential, signed 4 more years at a decent price. However, there’s no chance that 5OA is involved. I could see Winnipeg’s 1st + one of our young D + B prospect being a package Montreal would offer.

I don’t know if Farabee is available and if it would be a package that interest Philly but that would be what I suspect Hughes would put on the table.

Frost is of no interest to me. Doesn’t fit a need for Montreal.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Probably rather include one or both of Farabee/frost in a trade for Necas. But I’d do the OP trade, too.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Farabee is someone I would be interested in. Untapped potential, signed 4 more years at a decent price. However, there’s no chance that 5OA is involved. I could see Winnipeg’s 1st + one of our young D + B prospect being a package Montreal would offer.

I don’t know if Farabee is available and if it would be a package that interest Philly but that would be what I suspect Hughes would put on the table.

Frost is of no interest to me. Doesn’t fit a need for Montreal.

Torts is the coach.

Torts doesn’t rebuild.

I mean most of us don’t want to trade Farabee because of his age and production at 5 v 5 but I wouldn’t label him untouchable.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
After Demidov and with rumours that Lindstrom may, repeat, may have back problem, i don't like the Russian roulette of available forwards.

So within my nature of picking the safe route and solving the Habs offensive needs i propose...

Habs 5th

For

Philly's Farabee and Frost

Reasoning is simple. Unless Levshunov falls into our hands, Habs need forwards more then one more defenseman in the boatload of defenseman we already have. No one past Demidov and celebrini brings highly probable forward star potential. Yes, lots of hopium but not great probability of what the 5th overall certainty it should bring. Farabee provides a young scoring winger and Frost is not Dach, but he's a slam dunk young 3C with maybe a bit of potential for a 2C plus some security IF Dach is injury prone.

Philly gets to draft a franchise defenseman at 5th and the loss of offense is more then made up by Michkov, (the guy that should be wearing Hab colours. Yes, I'm still bitter.)

Soooo...is this a fair proposal?

Why not?

Whose on the "winning" side.

Or is it fair?
Imo the Habs should keep their pick and select iginla. He would fit in nicely with their young group.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Torts is the coach.

Torts doesn’t rebuild.

I mean most of us don’t want to trade Farabee because of his age and production at 5 v 5 but I wouldn’t label him untouchable.
I'm at the point where we need to truly start shooting for 1st line caliber or upside players. Have enough middle six potential guys.

Reactions: BernieParent

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I'm at the point where we need to truly start shooting for 1st line caliber or upside players. Have enough middle six potential guys.

I think the issues are much further than team construction.

If Montreal wants Farabee and the 5th overall is off the table like I quoted. I don’t think the flyers move Joel.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Torts is the coach.

Torts doesn’t rebuild.

Which is fair. Like I said, I like Farabee and I feel he would fit well in Montreal top 6 but there’s a limit to the price I would be willing to pay. 5OA doesn’t make sense from our end. A rebuilding team can’t trade a potential future elite player for an established top 6 entering his prime.

Best way to do that is through the draft but that requires tanking.

If Montreal wants Farabee and the 5th overall is off the table like I quoted. I don’t think the flyers move Joel.
Unfortunate but understandable. We’ll keep looking elsewhere to find a potential fit for a top 6 forward who’s still young enough

Reactions: SnS

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Farabee isnt worth anything close to 5OA...

Hell I wouldnt trade 5oA for 12 and Farabee...

Again unless.we are talking 12oa + Foerster vs 5oa + one of MTL surplus D prospect (no Mailloux Rein Hutson) philly can forget #5oa

Reactions: BernieParent

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
All of a sudden Iggy is a 5thOA? Smells like a KK upswing and we know how that went. I'm sure he's going to be a good player but not top 5 worth of talent. Anywho... that's another thread discussion.

Both sides mostly don't like this trade on value, which means like all good trades, there is pain on both sides.

What nobody touched on from Philly that you can get a player like Saliyev who may be a Chara level monster down the line. That is worth Foester and then some.

For us, we are so loaded with defensive potential that he's not as valuable as a high quality forward. Besides, we got X who is here and now and improving. And Mailman who can be a tough customer.

Anywho...this draft is going to be a wild ride

Reactions: FlyguyOX

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina

Again unless.we are talking 12oa + Foerster vs 5oa + one of MTL surplus D prospect (no Mailloux Rein Hutson) philly can forget #5oa

Wasn’t a Philly fan who proposed it.

So.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Frost and Farabee are 3rd liners at their peak (25 years old) ?
A #5 will be a top 6 for 10 years minimum, (starting in 2 years though)
The answer is pretty obvious.

Can't beleive you're a Habs fan,,,
You're doing a ton of assuming here.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
No from a Habs POV, Frost is a write off and Farabee might be worth a mid first

I could trade 5 for Farabee and 12 tho but even then it depends who's available at 5

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
After Demidov and with rumours that Lindstrom may, repeat, may have back problem, i don't like the Russian roulette of available forwards.

So within my nature of picking the safe route and solving the Habs offensive needs i propose...

Habs 5th

For

Reasoning is simple. Unless Levshunov falls into our hands, Habs need forwards more then one more defenseman in the boatload of defenseman we already have. No one past Demidov and celebrini brings highly probable forward star potential. Yes, lots of hopium but not great probability of what the 5th overall certainty it should bring. Farabee provides a young scoring winger and Frost is not Dach, but he's a slam dunk young 3C with maybe a bit of potential for a 2C plus some security IF Dach is injury prone.

Philly gets to draft a franchise defenseman at 5th and the loss of offense is more then made up by Michkov, (the guy that should be wearing Hab colours. Yes, I'm still bitter.)

Why not?

Or is it fair?
Not a chance that trade happening. With the 5th Habs eyeing Ignila. It's his shot. If you look around league best players in playoffs are those hard nosed guys who can score. Matthew Tkachuk, Messier, Ignila, etc...

The only realistic trade I see Montreal doing is maybe moving down 2 slots with Ottawa. They still get Ignila. Plus late first from Ottawa. They can put that pick in a package for Necas type

Reactions: MajorWeber

MajorWeber

Jun 22, 2017
Montreal, Qc

Habs 5th

For

Why not?

Or is it fair?
I don't think its good value for the Habs. They'd most likely pick a D or Iginla before trading the pick for a return this bleek.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

The only thing that might prevent Farabee frm being worth the 5th is if he isn't the same as he was before the back surgery. And Frost would likely do well if he could escape Torterella.

Last edited:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
The only thing that might prevent Farabee frm being worth the 5th is if he isn't the same as he was before the back surgery. And Frost would likely do well if he could escape Torterella.
Any of them are ppg player?

If not move on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad