Post-Game Talk: Habs 4, Sens 3 (SO)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
The NHL just needs to get rid of the shootout. It's a ridiculous gimmick that has way overstayed. If MLB can play unlimited OT, and so can the NBA and ties in the NFL almost never happen, then why can't the NHL settle their games the right way? Why do we have to be the stupid fringe pro sports league that has a skills competition at the end of games to decide the winner? Come on. We deserve better. Just keep going with OT until someone wins. Fans get more value for their dollar when watching in the arena. Games are settled with a true team win rather than a meaningless 1 v 1 shootout. And most importantly, the NHL stops looking like an amateur hour mickey mouse club who don't know how to properly market a game that should, by reason, be right behind football in terms of popularity.

Another route would be to award 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT or Shootout win, 1 point for an OT/Shootout loss, and 0 points for a regulation loss. Premiership Football uses a 3 point system. The only difference being regular season games when a draw only awards each team 1 point.

I like the shootout! I hope that it becomes a theater of skill and prowess when any NHL player can try a practiced special move to score and potentially win the game for his team. It provides closure to the game. Its also a chance for great players to bring their unique elite talent and show off a little for the fans. It`s entertaining.

Most importantly, a three point system with the shootout would amplify the importance of regulation wins in the regular season and the elite teams of the league would rise above the pack. That makes for some intense hockey.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Another route would be to award 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT or Shootout win, 1 point for an OT/Shootout loss, and 0 points for a regulation loss. Premiership Football uses a 3 point system. The only difference being regular season games when a draw only awards each team 1 point.

I like the shootout! I hope that it becomes a theater of skill and prowess when any NHL player can try a practiced special move to score and potentially win the game for his team. It provides closure to the game. Its also a chance for great players to bring their unique elite talent and show off a little for the fans. It`s entertaining.

Most importantly, a three point system with the shootout would amplify the importance of regulation wins in the regular season and the elite teams of the league would rise above the pack. That makes for some intense hockey.

I must emphasize the bolded. Dishing out 3+ hours of your time and 100+ of your Canuck bucks to watch a TIE is a really empty feeling. Its almost worse than a loss, no one at the game is happy about it.

I agree with the 3 point system, that's been something many have wanted to for years but historians are too vocal about it screwing with records.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm fine with closure, but I think there isn't enough incentive right now to finish the game in regulation. Making regulation wins worth 3 points would balance it out I think.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Zibanejad was outstanding tonight.

He showed an ability to make plays and decisions very quickly and with authority.

I'm starting to believe more and more that this could be an excellent pick at 6th overall.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
I must emphasize the bolded. Dishing out 3+ hours of your time and 100+ of your Canuck bucks to watch a TIE is a really empty feeling. Its almost worse than a loss, no one at the game is happy about it.

I agree with the 3 point system, that's been something many have wanted to for years but historians are too vocal about it screwing with records.

I`m with you. It seems foolish to ignore the 3 point system when several billion people are fans and support it worldwide. There must be something good about it.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
That he has sucked in the SO, that he's tired of getting 1 point after his team played hard out there, that it's unacceptable in the NHL. He's pretty hard on himself.

I'm glad to hear that. Not that I want to dump the loss on him, but I love his competitiveness, that he'll use this to fuel himself to be better next time. He's a true athlete, true competitor.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
That he has sucked in the SO. He's pretty hard on himself.

Owned the loss and said this isn't hte AHL..etc. On the shootout "they're selling average and I'm buying awesome" haha

Ha! That's a nice self-assesment of the shoot-out.

Honesty is the first step forward.

I bet he'll work on it extra hard to get those jimmies unrustled.

Don't worry kid, you're still a kid...we'll get'em next time. :yo:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
We had twice the PP goals in this game as the Wings have had all season on the road.

Red Wings are paying the price of success right now.

They've been so good for so long, only to have the rest of the league pick apart their pieces when they become available (thanks for Maclean, guys!), and the drafting hasn't been able to close the talent gap of their star players either retiring or getting old.

Basically, Detroit is going through what everyone thought they'd go through 10 years ago.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
I'm not saying Gryba was some incredible stalwart tonight but the guy just played 21:52 against some tough competition. Montreal has a ton of speed in their lineup and he dealt with it. He's made plenty of mistakes since being called up but the guy has been huge for the team and is consistently playing top 4 minutes for the #1 ranked defensive team in the NHL. I seriously don't know who else in the organization could have stepped up in the role he's been asked to play.

If he eliminates some gaffs from his game and makes decision a bit quicker, he could have a career as a quality top 4 shutdown guy. Shoot, he's already playing the role and performing better than most guys around the league. I keep waiting for him to show he doesn't belong but he's not faltering. He had a bit of a rough stretch a week ago but it didn't get to him and he had strong back to back games against two of the best teams in the league.

The crazy thing about it all is that Gryba started off the year in Bingo playing some awful hockey. He looked so slow down there and was their worst D by far in the first games. That was bad for him considering how deep they were, but Luke showed confidence in him. Once Benoit, Wiercioch and Boro were all up with Ottawa he was the #1 down there and playing fantastic hockey at both ends if the ice. Ottawa needed a right hand shot and... the rest is history. This guy is not going to play another game in AHL unless its in a long playoff run this May/June. Biggest surprise of the season for me and a coup for the organization.

What is a Gryba and why does it never leave the ice?

I`m trying to figure out how to make this a signature. :)

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Lehner was virtually unstoppable in the shootout in the A this year for long streches while Alfredsson was 5/6 last year.

Next.

Edmonton's sophmores and rookies were also really good in the A. This is not the A. Apparently Lehner said it himself post-game. He'll get on it. With experience he'll get past these minor growing pains.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
In other news....

Zibanejad looked like a superstar. His decisions with the puck, his passing, shooting and physical play were spectacular. He looked like Giroux on the PP with those bullet one-touch passes cross-ice.

He is only 19... This guy is going to be something really special.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Edmonton's sophmores and rookies were also really good in the A. This is not the A. Apparently Lehner said it himself post-game. He'll get on it. With experience he'll get past these minor growing pains.

Lehner: Different League
Alfredsson: Different season.

Next.

You guys don't get it. I meant it's nothing but turbulence. Regin said it perfectly after we won our 3rd shootout. "Shootout is mostly luck, you win some and you lose some."

Alfredsson is 0/5 but if there was a penalty shot in game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, I'd have him take it(Barring Spezza still injured)

I also have higher hopes seeing Alfredsson on a breakaway than almost anyone on the team... Well except Silfverberg now ;)

N...N...nextttt.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
For all the *****ing and moaning about diving and officiating I don't see anyone complaining about Zack Smith diving to draw a penalty that resulted in a 1-1 game.

Habs can dive all they want but Ottawa was WAY too undisciplined tonight. They knew what was going on with the officials and Habs doing their Alexandre Despatie impression. There was no adjustment made. Too many sticks getting horizontal and way too much straddling of the 'line' when trying to throw big hits.

All in all, Sens played a solid game all around. Gryba continues to impress me. He should not be this good. All our Bingo D are playing way over their heads and I love. It just frustrates me that Mac didn't call a timeout or address the penalty matter in between intermissions. We will not win games if we take this many penalties against top tier opponents.

The major positive right now is the offense. We're finally scoring consistently on the road. When Spezza and Michalek return, we'll be back to being one of the top offensive teams in the east even without Karlsson.

Next game against Winnipeg is huge. Glad I have tickets!

Post of the day. Enough doom and gloom. I'm stoked with the point.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
In other news....

Zibanejad looked like a superstar. His decisions with the puck, his passing, shooting and physical play were spectacular. He looked like Giroux on the PP with those bullet one-touch passes cross-ice.

He is only 19... This guy is going to be something really special.

Yeah I'm really getting excited about him again. And it's not only this game, it's been the whole recent stretch where he's looked great & made great decisions. Glad he was rewarded tonight.

StoneColdFlower*

I noticed that all 3 stars on the NHL'S website went to Habs. WTF?

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
ReginKarlssonLehner said:
You guys don't get it. I meant it's nothing but turbulence.

hmmm...maybe for Alfie it is.

Lehner is not so reducible IMO. Maybe he just needs to take Regin's advice and calm the **** down in the shootout. By his own admission, he really is biting on almost everything. At that point 'luck' is thrown right out the door. He's hasn't really been giving himself a chance to be lucky or unlucky. Just...bad.

Maybe just slow the roll a little there youngin'. Less Stallone, more Eastwood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad