Value of: Habs 25th 1st (Lottery Protected) & Jets 24th 1st (26th)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Depends on a team's direction and their rebuild strategy. Yes, it's pushing this years pick into next year but getting an extra pick later in this draft (26th). This is not just some small add.

You don't know if it's "weaker" next year. I've seen fans focus on this over and over again and it's just wrong. You go look at the movement that happened in this draft from Sept-April. The draft year plays a huge factor in what is deep and what is not deep. I still can't believe how some fans have not clued into this yet.
Weaker it not doesnt matter

A pick st 26 Is an utter crapshoot while 8-13 ,has s level of certainty. Then there is no certainty next years is even top 13 with the protections

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

A pick st 26 Is an utter crapshoot while 8-13 ,has s level of certainty. Then there is no certainty next years is even top 13 with the protections

It's not terrible like you are pretending. But carry on with your "worse ever trade" narrative. I'm not surprised. You are just here to belittle. That's clearly your focus. What team do you cheer for and is it a team from the 8-13 range? If not, I question your motives. If so, just say I am not interested in making that kind of trade.

If teams in that range don't want to do it, it's fine. Relax.

There is no level of certainly in this draft. Talent looks good yes. But like I said, if a team chooses not to make a trade like this and gain a extra late 1st, it's ok.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Why does that pick need to be top-13. What if its top-18? Wouldn't that still be a good trade for the receiving team? To get the Habs 18th OA and the Jets 26OA for the 2024 13th OA?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
There's a pretty clear drop off after pick 13 or 14 in this draft. For me #1 is super clear. #2 is pretty clear if Demidov will come over for any club. After that? Pick 13 could be a better player than #3.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There's a pretty clear drop off after pick 13 or 14 in this draft. For me #1 is super clear. #2 is pretty clear if Demidov will come over for any club. After that? Pick 13 could be a better player than #3.
Pick 30 could be better than Pick 13. I mean, we can play this game all day.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Not really. You could be getting Catton at 13. You're getting Tanner Howe at 30. One guy is a bottom 6er, the other is a top 6 C.
Nobody knows how these players will turn out is the point.

Scouts will always want the better pick. You can't group these into categories. Too much uncertainty and development to be had for these 18 year olds.

Reactions: pth2

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Nobody knows how these players will turn out is the point.

Scouts will always want the better pick. You can't group these into categories. Too much uncertainty and development to be had for these 18 year olds.
Every team has what the Flames refer to as "tiers." If you think there isn't a drop off at 13 or 14 I don't know what to tell you. I'm certain Catton is a different tier than Howe as an example. I've watched the players. One has a ceiling of Tanner Pearson. The other has a ceiling of Clayton Keller.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
A team like Buffalo who does not necessarily need to add high end prospects at this point I could see having some interest. I feel like they might shop that pick for immediate help anyways and it might be easier to fill holes with multiple 1sts instead of a higher one
But you sort've answered it yourself with the second sentence. If they are shopping the pick for immediate help, then swapping a 1st this year for a 1st next year is the exact opposite of immediate help. We see teams do this in round 3 and beyond, but never in the 1st, especially the top half of the first round.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
But you sort've answered it yourself with the second sentence. If they are shopping the pick for immediate help, then swapping a 1st this year for a 1st next year is the exact opposite of immediate help. We see teams do this in round 3 and beyond, but never in the 1st, especially the top half of the first round.
I'm saying if they'd be looking to add players whose value may be not high enough to warrant a pick in that range. Like just to throw out a name that popped up a while ago I don't think you'd need more than a mid-20s 1st to acquire a guy like Joel Farabee, so you buy a first next year (likely just as an additional asset) while still getting the player you want.

Obviously too complicated to be a likely scenario. If Montreal wants to move there it's probably going to have to be with multiple deals. 25+ for like 16/17, then that pick + for 11-13

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
The upside is you get 2 x 1st round picks. One of them is defined. The other is not defined, but based on the stage of the Habs rebuild, its a good gamble given that that pick could be 5OA to 15OA. Habs are unlikely to make the playoffs next year. Worst case scenario, the team gets 2 x late 1st round picks. But the chances of that happening are remote.

Its not that bad of a scenario provided that the conditions on the Habs 2025 pick are lottery protected (1 - 3OA protected).

The problem is that you want some sort of guarantee that will get a 2025 1st in the 8-13 range and on top of that the Wpg 1st. Why would any team do that?
I don’t want any guarantee. I wouldn’t want my team making this trade. I also think any other team would be foolish to make the OPs trade with the Habs. And your worst case scenario is exactly why it’s a foolish trade for another team. Why would someone give up a #8 pick for the possibility of 2 late picks? Especially giving up an immediate #8 for a pick a year later? All the risk is on the other team while the Habs give up little risk. You’re a Habs fan so of course you’re going to try spinning it as a good deal for another team.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don’t want any guarantee. I wouldn’t want my team making this trade. I also think any other team would be foolish to make the OPs trade with the Habs. And your worst case scenario is exactly why it’s a foolish trade for another team. Why would someone give up a #8 pick for the possibility of 2 late picks? Especially giving up an immediate #8 for a pick a year later? All the risk is on the other team while the Habs give up little risk. You’re a Habs fan so of course you’re going to try spinning it as a good deal for another team.
I wouldn't do it as a Habs fan because i expect they will give up a top-10 pick next year. And then on top of that cough up the Wpg 1st. It makes no sense.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I wouldn't do it as a Habs fan because i expect they will give up a top-10 pick next year. And then on top of that cough up the Wpg 1st. It makes no sense.

Yup, risky for the Habs as well. I'd consider it but there is no doubt that the risks apply to the Habs as well. Other fans acting like they only have a risk at considering this. Not true.

The issue with this is teams from 8-13 are emotionally attached to who they could get. Draft is a month away and we are all playing expert scouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad