Olympics: Gymnastics

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Give all three of them the bronze, IOC. It's not hard. Taking a medal away because of a judging error isn't it. If I'm Jordan, I'm getting on the next flight to the US, bronze medal and all. And if I'm Ana, I'd refuse to accept the bronze unless Jordan is allowed to keep hers.
She was already home in the US when this went down

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He was told that his asthma medication was okay before the Olympics. After winning the Gold, he was told that it wasn't okay.

Twenty-three athletes from China claimed that they ate tainted meat, but WADA said that was okay. They were not held responsible for what was in their bodies!

WADA is a corrupt organization!
The head of WADA, Richard Pound, who is Canadian, once said that 1/3 of NHL players were on PEDs. No proof at all for that. The NHL had drug testing 10 years before MLB started a program.
That was between him and the USOC, obviously that's not enough. The USOC should have assisted him with his medical exemption application if proper grounds existed, after the competition and after testing positive it's much too late for that. At that point the USOC could still have taken responsibility and demonstrated that it was their fault and not the fault of the athlete like had happened a few months before in hockey at the Winter Olympics with Germany's Alois Schloder, but they didn't take responsibility and so DeMont's ban wasn't overturned.

The WADA was founded in 1999, so they had no role in the 1972 Olympic testing.

The NHL's testing policy has always been a joke by the way (and didn't exist until quite recently), everything is agreed between the league and the NHLPA and neither side has any interest in ending up with many cases. At the time when Pound gave his comments, players couldn't be tested during the offseason or the playoffs at all, even now that remains limited. Maybe usage was more common in the past, but there will still be many enough guys like Jarred Tinordi or Nate Schmidt that try to do it in the shadows built into the system.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
So apparently the US submitted video evidence that the appeal of Chiles score was submitted 47 seconds after the posted score, not 1mn 4 seconds like CAS claims.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
That was between him and the USOC, obviously that's not enough. The USOC should have assisted him with his medical exemption application if proper grounds existed, after the competition and after testing positive it's much too late for that. At that point the USOC could still have taken responsibility and demonstrated that it was their fault and not the fault of the athlete like had happened a few months before in hockey at the Winter Olympics with Germany's Alois Schloder, but they didn't take responsibility and so DeMont's ban wasn't overturned.

The WADA was founded in 1999, so they had no role in the 1972 Olympic testing.

The NHL's testing policy has always been a joke by the way (and didn't exist until quite recently), everything is agreed between the league and the NHLPA and neither side has any interest in ending up with many cases. At the time when Pound gave his comments, players couldn't be tested during the offseason or the playoffs at all, even now that remains limited. Maybe usage was more common in the past, but there will still be many enough guys like Jarred Tinordi or Nate Schmidt that try to do it in the shadows built into the system.
I never said that WADA tested Demont. I don't know what organization did the testing in 1972. I know that Pound was on the IOC board starting in 1979. That seems like a conflict of interest when he founded WADA, because he was self dealing.
I appreciate that the laws in Canada differ from the US.

The NHL started drug testing in 2005, 19 years ago. One player was suspended the first year (Schmidt?) "Quite recently" seems a little off. The testing was expanded in 2013 under the then new CBA. The NHL can't make changes without the consent of the NHLPA, as you already know.

Last edited:

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Give all three of them the bronze, IOC. It's not hard. Taking a medal away because of a judging error isn't it. If I'm Jordan, I'm getting on the next flight to the US, bronze medal and all. And if I'm Ana, I'd refuse to accept the bronze unless Jordan is allowed to keep hers.

This was requested by both Federations (ROM and USA) actually, but FIG and IOC refused, because they don't want to set a precedent and admit they screwed up badly (not the first time, will happen again).
As for the rest, Chiles did take the bronze and never looked back, totally fine. Don't expect Ana, who was extremely gracious in the situation, to be that accomodating after all this crap. As for Sabrina, she (or probably her mother, I doubt she speaks much english) posted some offensive things like "why athletes with mental health problems are allowed to compete" and crap like that, very much in line with what her mother and the "old guard" has done to the gymnasts of Deva (those trained by the dutch coach), so in my book she should get a big fat nothing, even if she was objectively fleeced on the score.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I never said that WADA tested Demont. I don't know what organization did the testing in 1972. I know that Pound was on the IOC board starting in 1979. That seems like a conflict of interest when he founded WADA, because he was self dealing.
I appreciate that the laws in Canada differ from the US.

The NHL started drug testing in 2005, 19 years ago. One player was suspended the first year (Schmidt?) "Quite recently" seems a little off. The testing was expanded in 2013 under the then new CBA. The NHL can't make changes without the consent of the NHLPA, as you already know.
The Olympic Medical Commisson was responsible for testing in 1972, set up in 1961 after the death of a cyclist in Rome the year before. They produced a list of banned substances by 1967 and it was then first implemented at the 1968 games. Already in 1964 there had been amphetamine tests. Although the aim was to detect PEDs, the only athlete caught in Mexico City was a Swedish shooter that had drank beer before the event and tested positive with alcohol (ethanol) in his system. So going to Munich four years later there wasn't much real precedent and many prevalent substances couldn't be detected (steroids first in 1976) making the system somewhat flawed, but the rules were in place and had already been enforced. The rules and the procedures were also communicated to the athletes by the IOC in the form of a pamphlet before the games so both the athletes themselves and certainly the USOC had to be aware of the policies. They were also formalized in the Eligibility Code which again at least the USOC had to have internalized. Therefore, if someone failed DeMont, it was the USOC.

Indeed sports federations started testing in the 1960s, or some 40 years before the NHL. That the NHL didn't test its athletes for decades was a conscious choice. And that the NHLPA has also consistently opposed testing reveals something about player attitudes towards PEDs as well, beyond the usual "I've never heard of it" or "I don't think it really exists in our sport" platitudes.

Reactions: adsfan and Jussi

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Olympic Medical Commisson was responsible for testing in 1972, set up in 1961 after the death of a cyclist in Rome the year before. They produced a list of banned substances by 1967 and it was then first implemented at the 1968 games. Already in 1964 there had been amphetamine tests. Although the aim was to detect PEDs, the only athlete caught in Mexico City was a Swedish shooter that had drank beer before the event and tested positive with alcohol (ethanol) in his system. So going to Munich four years later there wasn't much real precedent and many prevalent substances couldn't be detected (steroids first in 1976) making the system somewhat flawed, but the rules were in place and had already been enforced. The rules and the procedures were also communicated to the athletes by the IOC in the form of a pamphlet before the games so both the athletes themselves and certainly the USOC had to be aware of the policies. They were also formalized in the Eligibility Code which again at least the USOC had to have internalized. Therefore, if someone failed DeMont, it was the USOC.

Indeed sports federations started testing in the 1960s, or some 40 years before the NHL. That the NHL didn't test its athletes for decades was a conscious choice. And that the NHLPA has also consistently opposed testing reveals something about player attitudes towards PEDs as well, beyond the usual "I've never heard of it" or "I don't think it really exists in our sport" platitudes.
Thanks for the info!

MLB would have had drug testing 10 years sooner, but one man stood in the way. Milwaukee's own Alan "Bud" Selig. He should be removed from the HOF IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00