Value of: Gustav Forsling as a UFA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
What's the news on Forsling, is Florida expected to re-sign him? I know they also have Reinhart + Montour to re-sign so it's a busy summer for them

If he's a UFA I'd love for Toronto to offer him 7-7.5 long-term, a smooth-skating defenseman who is responsible defensively is exactly what we need.

Rielly
Forsling
McCabe

A really good left-side for the next few years

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
7 yrs X $6.5 to $7 mil.

He should be loyal to Florida, they gave him his big chance and he's already on the top line and loves the team and lifestyle.

Don't see him going to Leafland and dealing with the chaotic media, fans and high taxes/crappy weather for 4 months of the year.
If the Leafs offer more, around 7.5 million with it primarily in bonuses, it can act as a good incentive. The bonus structure also limits the impact of taxes and is what Matthews uses

Florida is definitely the favourite to retain him, but if they don't come to an agreement I do wonder how high teams are willing to go for him. Seems like a player most of the league would be after

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
7 yrs X $6.5 to $7 mil.

He should be loyal to Florida, they gave him his big chance and he's already on the top line and loves the team and lifestyle.

Don't see him going to Leafland and dealing with the chaotic media, fans and high taxes/crappy weather for 4 months of the year.
I don't think he should be loyal, this is his best and possibly only chance to cash in. Teams aren't loyal to players anymore if ever.

He should sign before UFA, maybe for less than he would get if everything broke right for him, only as a way to mitigate risk.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If the Leafs offer more, around 7.5 million with it primarily in bonuses, it can act as a good incentive. The bonus structure also limits the impact of taxes and is what Matthews uses

Florida is definitely the favourite to retain him, but if they don't come to an agreement I do wonder how high teams are willing to go for him. Seems like a player most of the league would be after

I know how TOR use the SBs to their advantage but like I said, he's already on top pair, will get his raise from Zito and they're coming off a SC run. I don't see him being extra greedy to uproot and move, we'll see though.

No GM should offer more than $7.5 M, he isn't really used on FLAs PP but he does have a decent shot that gets on net but he's more of a defensive D than an offensive one.

I agree, he's basically an elite #3D on 2nd pair but FLA has him on top pair and he struggled a bit last year but has been arguably our 2nd to 4th best player with Barkov, Reinhart and Bob.

I don't think he should be loyal, this is his best and possibly only chance to cash in. Teams aren't loyal to players anymore if ever.

He should sign before UFA, maybe for less than he would get if everything broke right for him, only as a way to mitigate risk.

Fair enough, not going to get into what's going on inside Forsling's head and loyalty argument but Florida checks off almost every box at this point, why leave?

He's in a great spot to earn ~$50 million over next 7 years, in his late 20s, playing on top pair, he's living the dream.

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
IMO he should be priority 1B for Zito, with Reinhart being 1A unless he wants a crazy contract in terms of length and $$$.

Definitely hoping for some re-signing news from that trio sooner than later.

Reactions: Laus723

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018

How would the bonus structure limit the impact of taxes? Do you mean it would offset the impact?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
7 yrs X $6.5 to $7 mil.

FLA has 10 guys listed to make up their $58 mill in cap commitments next season, along with a buyout of Yandle for $59.5 mill. Leaves them $28 mill to fill in 13 roster spots.

So, if Forsling got $7 mill, that leaves $21 mill for 12 players. So, that's maybe $12 mill more for to sign bigger names or expensive guys of 2 players. Everyone else for the last 10 spots is then $9 mill or so.

Plus Lundell needs a new contract. And Reinhart and Montour are UFA. At least one of Reinhart and Montour is not returning.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
FLA has 10 guys listed to make up their $58 mill in cap commitments next season, along with a buyout of Yandle for $59.5 mill. Leaves them $28 mill to fill in 13 roster spots.

So, if Forsling got $7 mill, that leaves $21 mill for 12 players. So, that's maybe $12 mill more for to sign bigger names or expensive guys of 2 players. Everyone else for the last 10 spots is then $9 mill or so.

Plus Lundell needs a new contract. And Reinhart and Montour are UFA. At least one of Reinhart and Montour is not returning.

Read rest of the thread.
Ekblad could be moved to free up more cap. Or Bob which is more unlikely given his performance of late.

Lundell hasn't earned a huge raise, he's been pretty bad to start and slowly getting better last few weeks.
I agree it's more likely 2 of 3 (Forsling, Reinhart, Montour) stay than all 3 so we shall see what Zito has planned.

Forsling and Reinhart are most important pieces to figure out. Montour hasn't been as good this year and don't see him commanding as much as people thought last year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Read rest of the thread.
Ekblad could be moved to free up more cap. Or Bob which is more unlikely given his performance of late.

Lundell hasn't earned a huge raise, he's been pretty bad to start and slowly getting better last few weeks.
I agree it's more likely 2 of 3 (Forsling, Reinhart, Montour) stay than all 3 so we shall see what Zito has planned.

Forsling and Reinhart are most important pieces to figure out. Montour hasn't been as good this year and don't see him commanding as much as people thought last year.
Bob holds the NMC and a MNTC so, he can very easily give a trade list that has NYI, NYR, TB, or any team with top notch goalies thus, there is no market to trade him to. Can't do anything to Bob like demote him to the A since he has the NMC. So, that is highly unlikely trade situation.

Even at $3 mill, that eats away at the remaining $28 mill that FLA has. $10 mill for Lundell/Forsling leaves them $18 mill for 11 guys. Zito has done well in his time in FLA of getting money ball depth guys. Will have to do that with the remaining cap after spending on those 3 guys Forsling, Lundell, Reinhart.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Bob holds the NMC and a MNTC so, he can very easily give a trade list that has NYI, NYR, TB, or any team with top notch goalies thus, there is no market to trade him to. Can't do anything to Bob like demote him to the A since he has the NMC. So, that is highly unlikely trade situation.

Even at $3 mill, that eats away at the remaining $28 mill that FLA has. $10 mill for Lundell/Forsling leaves them $18 mill for 11 guys. Zito has done well in his time in FLA of getting money ball depth guys. Will have to do that with the remaining cap after spending on those 3 guys Forsling, Lundell, Reinhart.

Yep. Bob isn’t going anywhere.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

I get it, it's gonna be tight. If Reinhart leaves, it'll be tough to see him go but the Panthers will be fine.
The same rumblings were heard when Dadonov and Hoffman left, the same when Duclair left.

We have depth free agents and prospects to fill voids.
As said, Ekblad can be moved if the message is clear, Zito won't re-sign him.
Bob the following year will get the same conversation.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
You definitely don’t want to overpay Reinhart based on his career year counting stats. So I’m assuming keeping him hinges on whether he takes a deal commensurate with his career history versus trying to milk what may very will be a 90-95 point season on insane 25% shooting and 1035 PDO.

Forsling to me is the more stable, important asset to keep out of the trio (Forsling, Reinhart, Montour…throw in Ekblad to if you want as an expendable salary asset via trade). I just think the Panthers have shown the ability to manufacturer offensive support pieces up front and can find ways to replace Reinhart’s production, if forced to.

Reactions: Panteras

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Signing Bonus are taxed at 15% IIRC and salary is taxed at province/state rate so for Leafs he'd be at 43% IIRC?
Signing bonus is
Wow ok that pretty much wipes the tax disadvantage out completely. As long as Matthews is considered an Arizona resident, which seems likely the case. How are more teams not using bonus structure if they are in a high tax area?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
7 yrs X $6.5 to $7 mil.

Same. 6.75-7.25 is my guess. Florida probably targets him over any other player.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
7 yrs X $6.5 to $7 mil.

Not for loyalty, but depends on what he wants. Has to know how crazy certain markets are. And when you spend your NHL career in a market that you can be incognito in, it's a massive change to go to one that talks about you constantly. Doubt the money will be much different, but if you are comfortable where you are and the offer is good, no reason to leave. He can ask OEL what it's like going from AZ to Van and call up Hubs who is now in Cal what it is like.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
He should re-sign with the Panthers. Seems like the kind of player who would be a huge disappointment if he chased a big contract as a UFA and not live up to it.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Same. 6.75-7.25 is my guess. Florida probably targets him over any other player.

Ya I hope it's 7 max, every penny will add up for the next year or two until Bob and Ekblad's cap are gone.

He's arguably been their best all around defenseman the last 2 years, stepped up a couple tiers of competition while staying afloat, improving and being healthy.

Panthers vs Coyotes (your other 2 fave teams) playing tonight, who ya got?

Not for loyalty, but depends on what he wants. Has to know how crazy certain markets are. And when you spend your NHL career in a market that you can be incognito in, it's a massive change to go to one that talks about you constantly. Doubt the money will be much different, but if you are comfortable where you are and the offer is good, no reason to leave. He can ask OEL what it's like going from AZ to Van and call up Hubs who is now in Cal what it is like.

No doubt, lifestyle and privacy are everything for millionaires. They ride golf carts to practice now that the War Memorial is open for team (soon to be for public as well).

Everything is trending up for Panthers and Zito has already expressed how important Gustav is to the team, definitely mutual interest from both sides.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Ya I hope it's 7 max, every penny will add up for the next year or two until Bob and Ekblad's cap are gone.

He's arguably been their best all around defenseman the last 2 years, stepped up a couple tiers of competition while staying afloat, improving and being healthy.

Panthers vs Coyotes (your other 2 fave teams) playing tonight, who ya got?

No doubt, lifestyle and privacy are everything for millionaires. They ride golf carts to practice now that the War Memorial is open for team (soon to be for public as well).

Everything is trending up for Panthers and Zito has already expressed how important Gustav is to the team, definitely mutual interest from both sides.
You'd have to either really want to be in a market like that or the money is much greater, to leave FLA. Plus you need to be ready to perform if you are signing for big money. Myers, OEL, Eriksson, the Van fanbase had it out for them at the very start because very few believed that they would be worth the cap hit. Player had to prove them wrong and they didn't.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Love Gus but he isn't a 7M dollar player
Disagree after this season: he really stood up when Ekblad and Montour were injured.

Given he doesn’t play PP, I don’t see him at more than 7M but he is excellent at what he does and young.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Think he get's a bit less than Toews, probably around 8 x $6.5-7 mil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad