Value of: Guentzel Vs Buchnevich

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Pick your poison really.

Overall? I take Buch.

You need a goal scorer? It's 💯 Guentzel.

The extra year on Buchs contract prolly is the tiebreaker for me.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
You mean who would get a better return in a trade? Guentzal easily... guys who score as much as him and as much as him in playoffs get bigger returns.

Buchnevich is also one of those guys who is more popular and has a better reputation among the online hardcore hockey fans than among the "hockey men" who make these decisions.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If you are looking for a pure goal scorer Guentzel, if you are looking for a 2 way forward with a little term and a cheaper price tag Buch.

Both are great top line wingers tho.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
puckpedia.com
my answer:
buch.JPG

Reactions: SRHRangers

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
12 points in 20 playoff games
vs
58 points in 58 playoff games

Reactions: SomeDude

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
You mean who would get a better return in a trade? Guentzal easily... guys who score as much as him and as much as him in playoffs get bigger returns.

Buchnevich is also one of those guys who is more popular and has a better reputation among the online hardcore hockey fans than among the "hockey men" who make these decisions.
100%. There’s probably a great situation out there for Buchnevich. Where he can make a great contribution, but like last year, when it came to value, Barbashev didn’t get the same value as some others, but was likely the best acquisition of the deadline, by any team.

Let’s just look at the Rangers. Buchnevich might be a better fit over Guentzal or Lindholm, but each likely gets more in return. Although with Colorado, either of those two probably have a better chance to make a difference than Buchnevich would.

Guentzal likely makes a bigger difference for more teams, and managers would almost definitely pay more for him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Is this a serious question or is this a joke?

If you NEED to be told that it's Guentzel...then JFC...I have no idea what to tell you.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only real argument for Buchnevich here is that extra year of term, but I think Guentzel's playoff track record plus just being a better overall player tips it towards him.

How many would Buch have playing with Sid or Geno

I like how people on this website argue Crosby and Malkin are washed up in one thread, only to dismiss any success of other players on the Penguins because of Crosby and Malkin in another thread.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
The only real argument for Buchnevich here is that extra year of term, but I think Guentzel's playoff track record plus just being a better overall player tips it towards him.

I like how people on this website argue Crosby and Malkin are washed up in one thread, only to dismiss any success of other players on the Penguins because of Crosby and Malkin in another thread.
I prefer Guentzel by a bit but it’s close and production comparison aren’t really fair to Buch

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If I were the GM of a team with a lot of weapons up front (Leafs come to mind), I'd probbaly go Buch. Otherwise it's pretty obviously Guentzel.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Marginal difference given the assets a typical contender has to offer.

Buch's extra year is a big deal, in theory. Some GMs/clubs stay out of the high priced rental market. Carolina doesn't participate for philosophical reasons. For the aggressive reputation Jim Rutherford has, you'd think there'd be more than just the Doug Weight trade to point to. Ken Holland last traded a 1st for a rental 2 decades ago. More teams involved because of term, the greater likelihood that some organization is willing to pay the price.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
The difference in point production is marginal over the past 4 years (less than 4 points per 82), and Buchnevich does it in fewer minutes while being a better defensive player. Guentzel is the better goalscorer and has a desirable playoff track record, but Buchnevich has also only played 12 playoff games since breaking out and still had 11 points. I do think Guentzel is a bit better but I personally don’t think the difference is significant enough to give up more for him given the extra year of Buchnevich. I suspect Guentzel would actually get more if both were moved though

Reactions: Stealth JD

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Guentzel joined the team when Crosby/Malkin were 29/30. Hardly carried by any generational performances.
They were still top 5-10 players in the game lol what are we even talking about. Buch has never played with anywhere near that talent level is my point. You can’t use production arguments here, who is the better player? I said it’s Jake by a hair but it’s super close and I disagree with people saying it’s not.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's hard to compare across the two because it's not strictly apples to apples with the extra year of great value on Buchnevich contract. But that also means less likelihood of retention, whereas if the Pens move Guentzel they can probably swing retention to broaden his market on an expiring deal, which has value too, and appeal to a wider number of potential teams trying to maneuver tight cap situations.

As players, i think Buchnevich is the somewhat better player in a vacuum. But if you want a complementary piece to play with your #1C and just help do all the little things that elevate a line, with top line caliber scoring touch and productivity...you might just want Guentzel.

I think that's the real advantage with Guentzel. That you can rest pretty easy on the assumption that he's going to be adaptable and basically bring plug 'n play chemistry with whichever Top Center you want to pair him with. He's that sort of complementary "glue" player. Buchnevich is a bit more of a dominating player individually...which can be a good thing, or it can be a detriment if it doesn't end up being a natural chemistry fit with whoever you want him playing with. There's more "integration risk" with Buchnevich i think. As one of those wingers who plays a bit more like a traditional "center" in terms of controlling the puck and flow of play, where things run through him, compared to Guentzel who is better at doing the spadework but letting the play flow through that #1C.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Guentzal has played most of his Penguins career on the downside of Crosby/Malkins career.

Not sure if you're aware but the downside of the career of a generational talent is still just as good if not better than the average to line NHLer.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Buch getting underrated here. He’s underratedly dominant on breakouts and zone entries and creating rush chances. If he played with the right offensive linemates he’d easily be a PPG guy like Guentzel but faster and better in transition.

Overall very close but I’d take Buch unless I specifically needed a scoring winger to play with an elite C who can handle zone entries and drive possession.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad