Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] F Jake Guentzel signs extension with the Lightning (7 years, $9M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
That state tax though. Guentzel on Tampa looks good but letting Stamkos and Sergachev go I think they're worse.

Sergy isn’t the defender people want to make him out to be. Outside of that first cup run he has been bad. His offense makes up for it but he is No Heddy.

Also everyone seems to forget the pieces we got back in that trade. We did get a pretty good young Dman back.

Also Stammer being gone isn’t a certainty yet.

Reactions: Regal

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Tampa better hope mcdonagh is still good for the next year or two because losing sergachev to sign a winger that would be barely better than Stamkos over the next few years is risky as hell.

Reactions: Meuracas

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That state tax though. Guentzel on Tampa looks good but letting Stamkos and Sergachev go I think they're worse.
We brought McDonagh back for a reason. The team had given up on Sergachev's defense developing. He is primarily an offensive defenseman, but he can't really be in that role in TB (at least not to the tune of 8.5) with hedman in front of him. We are a better team spending that money elsewhere.

Holding out hope we bring Stammer back still.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Tampa better hope mcdonagh is still good for the next year or two because losing sergachev to sign a winger that would be barely better than Stamkos over the next few years is risky as hell.

Stamkos was pretty bad 5v5 last year. Guentzel is significantly better there and they likely won’t lose that much from their PP with Kucherov, Point, and Hedman still around. I think Guentzel is a pretty big add

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Stamkos was pretty bad 5v5 last year. Guentzel is significantly better there and they likely won’t lose that much from their PP with Kucherov, Point, and Hedman still around. I think Guentzel is a pretty big add
The PP would have to be restructured. My guess is we would go back to something like we had when Drouin was here. Not dependant so much on the one timer as it was about all around deception. It was lethal.

Reactions: Regal

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That range would indeed make sense. I quess it's more interesting to see how many years he gets. Probably max allowed.
Yeah, Lebrun reported 7 years right away. We've been waiting on the dollars. 9ish makes sense. A little more than we, TB fans, are comfortable with, but that's how UFA works.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Yeah, Lebrun reported 7 years right away. We've been waiting on the dollars. 9ish makes sense. A little more than we, TB fans, are comfortable with, but that's how UFA works.
At 9.25 I think it goes from being a bargain to being market value. Not really getting a discount. That said considering the absurd contracts handed out in free agency it's still a pretty fair deal.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
At 9.25 I think it goes from being a bargain to being market value. Not really getting a discount. That said considering the absurd contracts handed out in free agency it's still a pretty fair deal.
Right. I mean, we knew it was over 8. Our best hope was 8.5, IMO, so we can stomach this.

I just wish we would bring Stamkos back. I have no idea how JBB thinks he can better spend the remaining money. Love the moves so far, but I don't see how we move the needle too much replacing stamkos with guentzel.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I figure 9 aav because that’s 63 million canes offered him 64 million but with no state taxes in Florida he got more money

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You guys just wanna rename this the "taxes aren't fair" thread or what? Edmonton of all teams just nearly won the Cup. Chill the hell out. This isn't the difference you think it is. Jake is signing with Tampa because we made him priority even over our own first ballot HHOF captain, paid a 3rd and showed we are serious. Oh yeah, possibly winning a Cup helps too. But don't let that stop you from noticing all the other tax burdened teams making their signings today too.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Here's to a tax based Salary Cap in the new CBA. This is almost as big of an advantage as Vegas playing the Mark Stone Injury Roulette every year
Setting aside the stupidity of the idea, the idea is comically infeasible.

1. Income taxes are not known ahead of time
2. Income taxes vary by individual
3. Income taxes vary year to year, even for the same individual
4. Tax laws change regularly

It is impossible to even attempt, so stop suggesting it.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Guentzel is lightyears better at even strength, I love Stamkos but he is basically an elite PP tool at this time - lots of arguments could be made as to why, moving him to wing, etc... but swapping Stamkos with Guentzel is a net positive.

Reactions: aylib and HabsQC

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Hearing this is how they lured him in

IMG_0823.png

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You guys just wanna rename this the "taxes aren't fair" thread or what? Edmonton of all teams just nearly won the Cup. Chill the hell out. This isn't the difference you think it is. Jake is signing with Tampa because we made him priority even over our own first ballot HHOF captain, paid a 3rd and showed we are serious. Oh yeah, possibly winning a Cup helps too. But don't let that stop you from noticing all the other tax burdened teams making their signings today too.

Sure, it's not the only factor, but it's fair to say it's still a factor (one of many). If the calculator on Capfriendly is close to correct (and if I'm using it correctly, which may not be the case as it was my first time) here's the simplified take-home pay after tax:

$9.25x7 in TB (5% escrow, 15% agent) = $5.64M/year ($39.5M for 7 years).
$8.00x8 in CAR (5% escrow, 15% agent) = $4.44M/year ($35.5 for 8 years).

Clearly that's just a simple calculator that doesn't take into account tax shelters, etc..., but even so, each contract is worth $64M yet there is a $4M take home pay difference, plus if he's still healthy and able to play, there can be another year of income after the 7th year. Even if the difference is half of that $4M, it's still significant.

I'm not complaining about it, nor would I suggest trying to alter the cap because of it. It is what it is. NYR still are able to sign guys with the taxes and cost of living as do many other teams so it's not the only reason players sign places and there's no sense complaining about it, but it's fair to point out that it still is a factor.

Reactions: TheOllieC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad