Confirmed with Link: Guentzel's rights traded to Tampa for 25 3rd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Assuming he’s dead in the theoretical Year 8, this is true.

But he’d only have to be good enough to earn a $1m contract when he’s 37 to make up that money. Which by then will probably be league minimum.
And if one wants to split hairs, the variability rules make it so that we can't pay him only 1M for the final year, so the salary structure in a front-loaded 7+1 year setup would actually be for his benefit.

I ain't gonna do the math for how much.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
This was all just ammo for Monday. We’re not out of it but he probably had a couple of places in mind he prefers and wants to make sure they pay him fair. We’ve kindly assisted him there.

We’re also probably taking a step back. We’re losing the d pair that got the hardest work, we’re trading Necas, we’re also losing TT, Martinook and Noesen. Maybe trading Kk. Our GM quit after what looks like he got stepped on by the owner and now Jake is dealing with the owner probably. I could see someone thinking we’re a hot mess right now. Not a strong look for a top ufa.

Or he could go to a team he always wanted to play for that has none of these issues and is a playoff capable team.

I think there’s a chance he’s just being nice while allowing us to do much of his negotiating for him. I accepted he wasn’t staying the week we traded for him because I didn’t want to get sucked into this. This week made it seem possible again and I’m a little annoyed about falling for it a bit.

It ain’t over till it’s over, but I think the 8th year is the only thing we have working for us. The silver lining is we could be thanking the stars we didn’t sign that contract in a couple of years.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Assuming he’s dead in the theoretical Year 8, this is true.

But he’d only have to be good enough to earn a $1m contract when he’s 37 to make up that money. Which by then will probably be league minimum.
That’s true. There’s also a risk of injury or other events so that he can’t play at 37 so a bird in the hand type thing is the trade off.

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
We’re also probably taking a step back. We’re losing the d pair that got the hardest work, we’re trading Necas, we’re also losing TT, Martinook and Noesen. Maybe trading Kk. Our GM quit after what looks like he got stepped on by the owner and now Jake is dealing with the owner probably. I could see someone thinking we’re a hot mess right now. Not a strong look for a top ufa.
This is my sense as well, which makes us not taking the best picks and futures offer we considered "worth it" for Necas last night a little frustrating.

If we're going to take a retool season next season, we might as well have maximized our future bounty. I don't think no matter what we do Necas will stick around any longer than he minimally has to and with everyone knowing it, his value only goes down from here.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
That’s true. There’s also a risk of injury or other events so that he can’t play at 37 so a bird in the hand type thing is the trade off.

That is true but when I dared suggest that Slavin’s level of play at 39 has even a modicum of risk to it I was yelled at so I have to assume Guentzel at 37 will be a world beater.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That is true but when I dared suggest that Slavin’s level of play at 39 has even a modicum of risk to it I was yelled at so I have to assume Guentzel at 37 will be a world beater.
I remember when we Canes fans were adamant that Brindy’s 35+ five year contract extension in 06 would age well because he was a fitness nut.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think Slavin will end up ltir’d a year or two before his ends, if we can get him some flesh eating shin pads. I don’t have any positive expectations there.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
This is my sense as well, which makes us not taking the best picks and futures offer we considered "worth it" for Necas last night a little frustrating.

If we're going to take a retool season next season, we might as well have maximized our future bounty. I don't think no matter what we do Necas will stick around any longer than he minimally has to and with everyone knowing it, his value only goes down from here.
Agree with this.....I'm presuming rest of league thinks Canes are in a box with Necas and will wait for a deal when Canes have less leverage (ie as year progresses).

It would be interesting to know if any team with a pick 10 or below was interested in Necas but I suppose that won't come out soon, if at all.

Guentzel re-signing is important for the next 5 years but doubtful beyond that. Given that I'm an old person, I'm in favor of getting him now :):) while I can enjoy his play (and don't care about 2030).

I suspect we'll bail on season tickets too when Dundon "re-develops" our seats and the entry/exit of PNC becomes Chapel Hill like on FB days.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Agree with this.....I'm presuming rest of league thinks Canes are in a box with Necas and will wait for a deal when Canes have less leverage (ie as year progresses).

It would be interesting to know if any team with a pick 10 or below was interested in Necas but I suppose that won't come out soon, if at all.

Guentzel re-signing is important for the next 5 years but doubtful beyond that. Given that I'm an old person, I'm in favor of getting him now :):) while I can enjoy his play (and don't care about 2030).

I suspect we'll bail on season tickets too when Dundon "re-develops" our seats and the entry/exit of PNC becomes Chapel Hill like on FB days.

If there's limited interest in Necas that would likely be the case. But depending on who else is available at the time, competition among other teams to acquire him could offset that dynamic. Team A really wants Necas but isn't going to up their bid if Team B also wants him because Canes have to deal him?

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Freidman just said Guentzel still not comitted but said that his request was 8x8 and carolina agreed, and that offer was made but they have not heard back.

This is just bullshit.

You got your ask, if you were just using it to get 7x 9.5 or 10 from somewhere else, pounnd sand.
to quote the Godfather: its It's not personal Borsig, it 's strictly business.

This is what agents do and perhaps not surprising given that the Canes roster is in a state of flux.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I think Guentzel asked for that for a couple reasons.

1) he probably didn't expect us to match it outright

2) to have more ammunition in UFA in order to set a floor of 7x9.

If he wants more than that he'll have to go to a bad team. I don't see a way Tampa can pay him more than that.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I mean a 7 x 9 is worth about 1.5 million more in tampa that 8x 8 here. So if they go higher than 9 its just extra in the bank

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Wasn't that Guentzel's initial ask?

UFA's can talk to teams since last Monday, so Carolina saying they have met his ask before he talked with other teams really isn't saying much.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
I thought there was an update to CBA in recent MOU or otherwise that eliminated the pre UFA contact timeframe? Am I having a senior moment?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1