Guelph Storm 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
A
Agree about Beauchesne and Singh. They play a similar style and compliment each other well. Overall the blueline looks strong. Jovanovski has also been impressive in the crease. Excited to see how the final roster looks.

They are young, but I think they will compete.

Agree completely

Never thought I would say this but with Jovanovski and Ellsworth, Gillespie may be available at the trade deadline.

Goaltending should be strong for the next few years.

Reactions: Section5Petes

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
It is going to be fun to watch Beauchesne and Singh grow together for the next 3 years.
They are going to play big minutes starting this year and will only get better.

I am excited to watch this young team develop and surprise this year.
oh they’re going to be great

Wonder what they do with Allen.

Any idea if you guys sell off some pieces? Would make sense to build around the 06/07 group and Allen is an 05 I believe

Reactions: StormSound

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
Storm roster is now down to 23. However, this includes 3 OA forwards so probably we will be 1 forward short come January. Jovanovski is starting in Ayr but his pre-season has been incredible. In 4 games with Ayr and Storm he has a 1.75 GAA and .948 SAV%. He needs and deserves to play to develop but He will be back.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Agree about Beauchesne and Singh. They play a similar style and compliment each other well. Overall the blueline looks strong. Jovanovski has also been impressive in the crease. Excited to see how the final roster looks.

Agree. Singh in particular is breaking out. Jovanovski has looked good between the pipes.

oh they’re going to be great

Wonder what they do with Allen.

Any idea if you guys sell off some pieces? Would make sense to build around the 06/07 group and Allen is an 05 I believe

It would make sense to move Allen at the deadline if the standings dictate it.

Reactions: frontsfan67

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010

I thought Jovanovski impressed me more during the scrimmages and the Friday night game at home than Ellsworth. I would have liked to seen him have the back up job and Ellsworth spend some time in Ayr. I guess I was wrong, that's why they pay the people that make the decisions the big bucks.

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
I thought Jovanovski impressed me more during the scrimmages and the Friday night game at home than Ellsworth. I would have liked to seen him have the back up job and Ellsworth spend some time in Ayr. I guess I was wrong, that's why they pay the people that make the decisions the big bucks.

I agree but I think the deciding factor was age. Jovanovski's one year older and needs to play more now (start vrs backup) to enhance his development. Ellsworth has the luxury of an additional year to develop in the O. Perhaps win win for both and the team as they look to be the future.
Three man competition should benefit the team.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I agree but I think the deciding factor was age. Jovanovski's one year older and needs to play more now (start vrs backup) to enhance his development. Ellsworth has the luxury of an additional year to develop in the O. Perhaps win win for both and the team as they look to be the future.
Three man competition should benefit the team.

i would actully think its the opposite. the 17 year old can come in and play 25 games in the ohl where the kid can go to jr b? thats how it works 95 percent of the time. for what its worth, i never thought ellsworth was ohl ready last year, i did see jovo alot last year, i think he it

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
i would actully think its the opposite. the 17 year old can come in and play 25 games in the ohl where the kid can go to jr b? thats how it works 95 percent of the time. for what its worth, i never thought ellsworth was ohl ready last year, i did see jovo alot last year, i think he it
Agreed, that’s my thinking as well. Keep the younger guy down to develop and you have a constant pipeline of goalies for years to come

StormSound

Feb 12, 2024
Agreed, that’s my thinking as well. Keep the younger guy down to develop and you have a constant pipeline of goalies for years to come
Most seem to agree with this way of thinking. Lots of time to switch things up if needed. I do hope the back up plays more than Slavik did, to keep Gillespie fresher for the long haul.

StormSound

Feb 12, 2024
Import Defenceman has arrived and is practicing with the team. He is another 2007 born player I believe. Thoughts on who he might be partnered with, and where he fits in with the existing group of D?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Import Defenceman has arrived and is practicing with the team. He is another 2007 born player I believe. Thoughts on who he might be partnered with, and where he fits in with the existing group of D?
Singh or beauchesne for sure. Beauchesne prob 1st line d on right side and Singh second line d right side.

Then either Budnick (OA LHD) Skvortsov (07 LHD) on the first pair- with the other playing second line minutes.

Prob Budnick to start and if Skvortsov impresses- they’ll put him on the first line.

Skvortsov fits the age group really well with beauchesne and Singh both being 07’s and him being a big LHD

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Singh or beauchesne for sure. Beauchesne prob 1st line d on right side and Singh second line d right side.

Then either Budnick (OA LHD) Skvortsov (07 LHD) on the first pair- with the other playing second line minutes.

Prob Budnick to start and if Skvortsov impresses- they’ll put him on the first line.

Skvortsov fits the age group really well with beauchesne and Singh both being 07’s and him being a big LHD

Is there a trade for Allen pending?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Forgot about him LOL

Used quant hockey and he was at the bottom pretty much because he hardly played

Guelph may have trouble scoring some goals but they’ll have good defence that’s for sure

Oh, I thought you might have been going with Allen will be a Frontenac :)

StormSound

Feb 12, 2024
Is there a trade for Allen pending?

Spada staying or spending time between GS and Ayr?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Spada staying or spending time between GS and Ayr?
I’d guess he may stay and plays 6th/7th d man, or frossard does. Not an insider but they’re both probably the weaker d among the rest of the guys and they both play left d.

Frossard 6’4.5 so great size but not sure how he is skill wise.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
I’d guess he may stay and plays 6th/7th d man, or frossard does. Not an insider but they’re both probably the weaker d among the rest of the guys and they both play left d.

Frossard 6’4.5 so great size but not sure how he is skill wise.
Frossard hasn’t reported and it hasn’t been announced where he’s plying his trade in 24-25.

• Wow
Reactions: frontsfan67

MidwestStorm

Oct 9, 2023
Frossard is at Youngstown but not signed as yet. Still 14 D on their preseason roster but not sure if this is accurate as of today.
Also just committed to Notre Dame the other day. Not sure why it took so long to commit to a school. Don't know how much ice an 08 will get in Youngstown compared to what the Storm may have offered.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Frossard hasn’t reported and it hasn’t been announced where he’s plying his trade in 24-25.
Didn’t know this.

If he hasn’t reported- Spada should stay then

Young d core.

Allen is the one that sticks out- may not be back next year when they are probably going for it(luchankos 19 year old season)

Wonder if they trade him for a picks? That would make the most sense to me- don’t think he gets a 16 year old but maybe they wait until the deadline to find out

Got a great group of 07’s- one of the top ones in the league for sure and then McLean should be a good centre going forward with of course the 3 goalies

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Frossard is at Youngstown but not signed as yet. Still 14 D on their preseason roster but not sure if this is accurate as of today.
Also just committed to Notre Dame the other day. Not sure why it took so long to commit to a school. Don't know how much ice an 08 will get in Youngstown compared to what the Storm may have offered.
This is an example of why the only trading 16 year old first round picks is bad for the league.

The other 2 leagues allow any drafted players to be traded- not sure why the ohl has to be the lone league to not allow that.

I’m sure the storm could get something out of Frossard for sure that way and it would be better having talent like that in the league- everybody’s happy. Frossard doesn’t have to play for the storm and you guys get something out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad