Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Thank you Storm. Royal City Smitty becomes Twin City Smitty. Love that kid. Character guy. Three seconds to the Storm. One has a condition attached.

EastviewoftheStorm

Dec 2, 2017
Well, I can't change the actions/behaviours/motivations of our team. But I will say there was a jump (dare I say relief) with our guys today. Could the Smith trade have got rid of a team problem? The (what I'm going to call) Royal Airforce line of two spitfires and a lancaster (Kirwin, Ralph and Poirier) was the best one out there and they looked like the a line I saw before while Smith was out due to injury.

The good sportsman award went to the Soo players: signing kids' posters as they walk off the warm-up; picking Kirwin's stick up at Soo bench and passing down to him (during play); and not jumping up and down at any goal that they scored.

EastviewoftheStorm

Dec 2, 2017
Storm fans, every time I see the highlights on the OHL site I see train wreck shifts from Merkley. What gives? Is his stock falling that much? The optics aren't good from a neutral perspective. Can he turn it around in time?

Ugh. I hope the misplays (maybe it's started already) will be improving.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Thank you Storm. Royal City Smitty becomes Twin City Smitty. Love that kid. Character guy. Three seconds to the Storm. One has a condition attached.
Really Bobber? Not saying it was you, but I saw nothing but running down Smitty for his "antics" from Ranger fans for the last two years.
You're getting the mature version of him now, just as he is getting in the groove after injury. Treat him well in Ktown.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Really Bobber? Not saying it was you, but I saw nothing but running down Smitty for his "antics" from Ranger fans for the last two years.
You're getting the mature version of him now, just as he is getting in the groove after injury. Treat him well in Ktown.
LV not me. I was afraid of the guy even in the stands. I always liked him when they interviewed him. He always had a mischievous little smirk like he had just pulled a prank on a team mate. He did play for the Storm but I forgive him now;) I like players with character. He will look good in Ranger Blue don't you think LV? Kidding. Hope he comes here and does well because he will be gone next year likely.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Well, I can't change the actions/behaviours/motivations of our team. But I will say there was a jump (dare I say relief) with our guys today. Could the Smith trade have got rid of a team problem? The (what I'm going to call) Royal Airforce line of two spitfires and a lancaster (Kirwin, Ralph and Poirier) was the best one out there and they looked like the a line I saw before while Smith was out due to injury.

The good sportsman award went to the Soo players: signing kids' posters as they walk off the warm-up; picking Kirwin's stick up at Soo bench and passing down to him (during play); and not jumping up and down at any goal that they scored.
class .. from top to bottom of Soo organization..they have 9 .. 1st yr players......NINE......... oh ya ...and wishing you well Smitty.

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Considering what other teams got for much less than Smith I think we was robbed.
the only thing I don't like is the rumoured conditional second which has nothing to do with Guelphs, Kitcheners OR Smiths success/OA season but apparently depends on some flyer pick reporting? What kind of ridiculous deal is that?

Anyway best of luck to him, he's a good hockey player and has come a long way and deserves his chance to make a run for it
Sadly with him going to Kitchener I think the name "Offside Smitty" is here to stay forever now that he's 'offside' of the Guelph/Kitchener rivalry. :laugh:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Your coach said Kitchener had to pay a premium for Smitty just because it's Kitchener yesterday. I think the Storm did fine considering these two franchises really have only I think two real deals in 30 years. Someone mentioned one in the 80's yesterday and the Fabbri fiasco.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
the only thing I don't like is the rumoured conditional second which has nothing to do with Guelphs, Kitcheners OR Smiths success/OA season but apparently depends on some flyer pick reporting? What kind of ridiculous deal is that?

Don't worry Fudgeo, it's a conditional pick on paper only. It's actually guaranteed 2nd rounder in 2020. The only reason it's currently listed as "conditional" is because Kitchener doesn't officially own that pick again until Jacob Tortora fails to report to the team by February this year. He is not reporting for sure. But officially they can't transfer that pick to Guelph until the deadline passes. So that conditional 2nd in 2025 is really a guaranteed 2nd in 2020. No two ways about it.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
TOTAL (39 GP)
battfan88817
RCS30
Stormfan8723
TrueBlueStorm23
Stormdude28
StorminNorman25
geo10517
noobie111
Chico Maki30
Stormforthewin21
StormWatcher30
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Stormdude

Jan 20, 2016
Considering what other teams got for much less than Smith I think we was robbed.
I agree, but the circumstances were not in Guelph's favor. If he wasn't hurt at the beginning of the season, he would have put up bigger numbers and this would have meant a bigger return. He is just getting going now. I think he will be a force for Kitchener in the playoffs. In my opinion, Kitchener won this trade.

Stormdude

Jan 20, 2016
On another note, if a couple of roster spots open up, I would love to see the dynamic duo or Dylan and Ty Jackson signed. When they were Guelph drafted them in the 5th and 6th round, they were listed at:
Ty 5'2" 110 lbs. and Dylan 5'3" 115 lbs.
According to Hockey Database
Ty is now 5'7" 147lbs and has scored 37 pts. in 41 games for St. Mike's in the OJHL.
Dylan is now 5'9" 157lbs. and has scored 43 pts. in 41 games (also for St. Mike's).

Looks like the boys have had a growth spurt.

Reactions: storm surge

StormFan87

Dec 19, 2014
Guelph 4
Peterborough 1
GWG Hillis

Guelph 2
Kingston 5
GWG Vilardi

Guelph 3
Ottawa 1
GWG Toropchenko

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Your coach said Kitchener had to pay a premium for Smitty just because it's Kitchener yesterday. I think the Storm did fine considering these two franchises really have only I think two real deals in 30 years. Someone mentioned one in the 80's yesterday and the Fabbri fiasco.

Cory Konecny? Just pulled though one out of the memory bank lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad