Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don’t think you recalled correctly. Gillis had a pattern of picking up players through waivers or through trades before the season starts. Horvat and Shinkaruk were just drafted. To pencil them in for a spot given the remaining Cup aspirations would be stupid and Gillis had no history of pushing prospects in their draft+1 year to play in the NHL or hoping they can make it.

It’s worth remembering that this was the Torts year, and they were running things different and Gillis wanted to turn over the roster with younger players at this point.
A couple of Hurricanes swept one 18-year-old out of the Vancouver Canucks dressing room on Sunday and another figures to soon be following.

The Canucks made a deal late Saturday with the Carolina Hurricanes, acquiring forwards Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh for prospect Kellan Tochkin and a fourth-round draft pick.

By Sunday morning, Bo Horvat was on his way back to his junior team in London, Ont., and fellow first-rounder Hunter Shinkaruk figures to soon get his ticket to Medicine Hat.

. . .

“I want to do what’s best for a kid’s development,” Tortorella said after the team’s practice at Rogers Arena. “With Hunter, Bo. . . in the stands, practising, maybe playing eight or nine minutes, that isn’t the proper thing for an 18-year-old kid.

“I worry about the speed of the game, I worry about the strength of the game. I see it today when we are doing some battle drills with Hunter. He is trying like hell, but he is 18. I really liked both their camps, but we also have to be aware of the process and what’s best for them and us in the long run.”

. . .

The question Canuck fans will be asking is if a couple of Carolina castoffs can make this team better. Hurricanes general manger Jim Rutherford said Sunday neither player was able to crack his team’s roster.

“It seems like every year in camp someone takes his (Dalpe’s) job,” Rutherford told the Raleigh News-Observer. “This year, (Nathan) Gerbe has come in and played well."

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Joshua & Demko Timelines:
-3-4 weeks until Joshua and Demko return

Poolman/Brannstrom Trade:
-think there's still upside in Brannstrom

Management:
-considered one of the smartest groups in the league
-time to separate Allvin and Rutherford in terms of giving credit
-according to some agents, Allvin can be cutthroat

Hoglander:
-even if he doesn't work out with the Canucks, it's an affordable contract that is easy to move
-could still be moved as a trade piece this season

Trade Targets:
-down the road will look at a third line centre

Ownership:
-is willing to give the Aquillini's credit
-have been meddling at times
-frustrated owner that took a step back when this management team came in
-Rutherford wouldn't have taken the job without complete autonomy
-Rutherford is on the phone with Francesco quite a bit; isn't sure if those calls are less frequent as the team has found more success
-real healthy relationship between Rutherford and Aquillini

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009

Management:

Hoglander:
-even if he doesn't work out with the Canucks, it's an affordable contract that is easy to move

Trade Targets:

Ownership:
-Rutherford is on the phone with Francesco quite a bit; isn't sure if those calls are less frequent as the team has found more success

Allvin is starting to sound like a Gillis mold type of GM. Smart, calculated, and serious. We’ve paid our dues as fans and have been blessed with a legit management team after that decade of darkness.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Joshua:
-whole point they traded Poolman was so the Canucks wouldn't need to go on LTIR
-Joshua is supposed to begin skating this week, if he hasn't already
-probably a few weeks away

Demko:
-hearing Canucks will take their time
-Canucks feel capable with Silovs & Lankinen as a tandem
-won't put a time frame on his return

Swayman:
-Bruins challenged Swayman on if he actually wanted to be in Boston

Stanley Cup:
-thinks the Canucks are SC contenders
-every team has a fatal flaw
-Canucks are a team with top-end talent
-front office will address whatever their weaknesses are
-calls last season a crazy year for Pettersson
-in pure talent, Canucks are good enough to win
-biggest challenge is the Oilers are in the same division

Hoglander:
-thinks it's a good contract
-believes Hoglander values some calm

Start of the Season:
-thinks the state of the league is in a pretty good spot
-for Canadians, it's always more fun when the Canadian teams are good

Reactions: supercanuck

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I still don’t think I’ve fully accepted the transition from Benning and Co to Rutherford and Allvin.

So scarred from that time that it still seems unreal to have smart, capable and respected mgmt.
Not just you .. Debrusk, Desharnais, Heinen and Hog threads are all full of moo points.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Management:

Hoglander:

Trade Targets:

Ownership:

Wrf does Dregor knows outside of Toronto

Reactions: Szechwan

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Trade Targets:

Have to figure that one of Suter or Blueger would have to be moved out to make salary and roster space for a 3C upgrade. Probably Suter given that Blueger has a 12-team NTC this year and next.

Giroux, Bjugstad, Dowd are some early right-shot centers that stand out.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So looks like they won't be doing what I thought, which is to wait until Wednesday to IR Demko and sent Raty down then recall him for Wednesday. Otherwise, we have our 2024-25 roster.

Reactions: Lindgren

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
So looks like they won't be doing what I thought, which is to wait until Wednesday to IR Demko and sent Raty down then recall him for Wednesday. Otherwise, we have our 2024-25 roster.
I don't think we would need to send Raty up and down if we don't plan to place Demko on LTIR. I thought you can't use LTIR unless you are over the cap.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't think we would need to send Raty up and down if we don't plan to place Demko on LTIR. I thought you can't use LTIR unless you are over the cap.

IR not LTIR. I detailed it out yesterday but they could have sent Bains, Raty, and Silovs all down today. IRed Joshua and kept Demko active. Accrue a higher than expect amount of cap space tomorrow, then IR Demko on Wednesday and recall Raty and Silovs. This would have had the Canucks accruing space tomorrow at a 2.165m tomorrow rate rather than 0.48m.

I'm guessing they didn't do this because they value having the complete roster for practice tomorrow.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It’s worth remembering that this was the Torts year, and they were running things different and Gillis wanted to turn over the roster with younger players at this point.

I don’t see how that changes things at all. The links you posted are just all talk. Again, Gillis had a pattern of late training camp pickups. He acquired a player post start of training camp and before the season started in multiple years. I don’t recall Horvat and Shinkaruk realistically challenging for a spot that year. Also since you are linking old articles there is this:

Tortorella made sure his best prospects were lined with players who were essentially camp bodies, ones who had no hope of getting a sniff of the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad