Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Doesn’t have to be a significant trade at all, could be a couple smaller trades. They absolutely should be looking for another top 4 LD though.
If they are playing well, they are going all in again. You know it.

It’s going to be significant, this is Rutherford. We’re talking about here.

Reactions: David71

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
While you're absolutely not wrong here, it is worth pointing out that Aman - while still a pretty fringey player - is in a bit of a different bucket than those others.

Aman has played like 2 or 3x as many NHL games as Dalpe had, for example, and basically came over from Sweden and has been more-or-less an NHL player ever since. Dalpe at this age was already reasonably well-established as most likely a career AHL/AAAA player.

Beyond that, though, you're obviously correct since basically the NHL is like the top X% (let's call it 20-25% just to put a vague number on it) of players who have very long careers and are "actual" NHLers and everyone else tends to get maybe a couple seasons before their body, mind, or talent can't maintain the level they need to stay at the top of the bucket anymore and they get churned out to minor pro or retirement.

I don't think games played is necessarily a reliable indicator. Aman got opportunities that's for sure. As for Dalpe, I don't think he was perceived as "already reasonably well-established as most likely a career AHL/AAAA player." We did trade a 4th round pick + took on Welsh's $1M contract for him (while getting rid of Tochkin's contract). You don't do that kind of deal without believing there's an NHL player there.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah I'm sensing the potential for major implosions in Ottawa and Buffalo this year. It's a good time to keep the powder dry, accumulate cap space, and see what happens.
Yep Ottawa and Buffalo.....leaving the playing personnel aside, two of the most baffling coaching hires this off-season.

Sabres bring back Lindy Ruff for the umpteenth time. Why? Is the owner just obsessed with him, or something? Why bring back a tired, old coach to a team that hasn't made the playoffs since 2011?

Meantime in Ottawa, they go out and hire Travis Green. Nothing against 'Greener; but his Canuck teams were consistently at the bottom of the entire league in terms of team defense, and their PK was historically bad.

Seems to me it won't be long before the NHL buzzards are circling these two lineups yet again. And while Allvin is no 'buzzard', he's still a shrewd NHL GM looking to make any deal that will improve his hockey club.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If they are playing well, they are going all in again. You know it.

It’s going to be significant, this is Rutherford. We’re talking about here.
I guess it depends on what is considered significant. I can see them going after two players rather than loading up on one, but depends on who’s available really. Allvin at least is making an effort to ensure the team will be able to make moves on deadline day this year.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I don't think games played is necessarily a reliable indicator. Aman got opportunities that's for sure. As for Dalpe, I don't think he was perceived as "already reasonably well-established as most likely a career AHL/AAAA player." We did trade a 4th round pick + took on Welsh's $1M contract for him (while getting rid of Tochkin's contract). You don't do that kind of deal without believing there's an NHL player there.

IIRC, they got Dalpe, who had failed again to make the Hurricanes, to fill a fringe spot so that Horvat and Shinkaruk could go back to junior. Welsh was a player they'd previously tried to sign out of the NCAA, FWIW.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I guess it depends on what is considered significant. I can see them going after two players rather than loading up on one, but depends on who’s available really. Allvin at least is making an effort to ensure the team will be able to make moves on deadline day this year.
With the influx of young and effective defensemen in NJD, it would be incredible if Allvin could trade for Siegenthaler.

Look at this NJD defense, like wtf - Hamilton, Pesce, L. Hughes, Nemec, Dillon, Siegenthaler, Casey, Kovacevic.

Also do wish Allvin made a play for Kovacevic, seems exactly like the defensemen they'd want on the team.

Reactions: SiZ

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
This trade pretty much confirms 100% we’re making a significant deal at the deadline, so the real question is who might be available, let’s put our trading hats on and try to figure this out shall we!

RFA and UFA Targets!
Pettersson would be my number one target. Cam Fowler is interesting, has the extra year. I like going after players that play heavy minutes and putting them in much easier situation because they usually flourish. Also Gavrikov, Provorov, Borgen, Andersson, Matheson, Ferraro are names too look out for.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Pettersson would be my number one target. Cam Fowler is interesting, has the extra year. I like going after players that play heavy minutes and putting them in much easier situation because they usually flourish. Also Gavrikov, Provorov, Borgen, Andersson, Matheson, Ferraro are names too look out for.
i'd look at gavikov and andersson off that list.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Willander + Garland for Mack Weegar. And I would do that as soon as possible to get the maximum juice for the next 3 seasons.

It would be a tough one to swallow watching Willander on a divisional rival, but if we actually want to contend and go for it while we have Hughes on a steal of a contract and all the other pieces in place, this is the kind of move you make to go over the top.

Garland the cap casualty to make the $$ work in the near term, would also be tough to lose but he makes $5MM.

Would have to think about a similar deal for Rasmus Andersson but need it to happen quickly to get those two full seasons out of Andersson. I would lean Weegar for his insane mobility and physicality, and being signed for 3+ years.
I’d sooner trade Lekk.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Ah yes. I see how you were using Hansen as a comparison now. As far as I saw personally Motte was never anywhere close to a 3rd liner except maybe on our crappy team. I don't see him as far superior to Aman at all. He's had a wee bit more personal success but Aman is also only entering his third year. As @kanucks25 mentioned Motte looks busier but his overall effectiveness isn't much different than Aman imo. Both kept the puck out of our net and added very little offence. I think both could be improved upon. Sherwood is better than both.

Maybe it's unfair but for me a 4th liner's success is partially tied to team success unless you're one of the few 4th liners that are universally sought after. They are the least skilled players on the team for the most part.

Again, we can argue over effectiveness but like Tocchet said in the playoffs, he doesn't want guys to be playing "pause hockey." He wants guys to get to the puck and win battles. Motte did that. You can say that Motte was just busier but that's what he brought. He brought speed and 100% effort every night. In the bubble playoffs he had 61 hits, 24 blocks, 17 takeaway and 4 goals on 29 shots in 17 games. Aman had 6 hits, 2 blocks, 0 takeways, and 0 goals with 1 shot in 5 games.

In the end we were able to trade Motte for a 4th round pick and many of us thought he was worth more at the time. With Aman, we're talking about whether he would be picked up on waivers here.. So I think we have to agree to disagree here.

Number of seasons played in the NHL doesn't factor in much when the player is of certain age. Certainly I didn't see many here defend Kuzmenko for simply having a "sophomore slump" and had confidence he could play the two way game Tocchet wants while putting up 1st line production.

I get the wanting improvement part but like you mention that's our bottom 4 D first and foremost. Not our 4th line which wasn't a problem at all. I see a a number folks saying give Raty the opportunity. That's all fine. Give him a chance, if he's better than Aman then great for us. If not then Aman is the best we have right now, and as of now has proven to be better than Raty ... although that may change if Raty does indeed get in.

Was our 4th line fine? There were changes to the 4th line in season and there are changes in the playoffs (including Aman being scratched) and there are changes this offseason.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Oy. Gage Goncalves is on waivers. Van guy with a sick name and significant production improvements year of year. It's time, Allvin. Claim him.

@MS I think you were on the Goncalves train initially, which got me to look into him more.

I like him but we have so many bodies at forward so I’d be surprised if it happens.

Simulate skillset to Bains but more developed 2-way game and plays C.

Reactions: Vector

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Oy. Gage Goncalves is on waivers. Van guy with a sick name and significant production improvements year of year. It's time, Allvin. Claim him.

@MS I think you were on the Goncalves train initially, which got me to look into him more.
Put me in the Gage camp

No idea how he fits in but yep i'll take him

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I'm going to put this out there. I have no intel and am just speculating and i could be completely off-base but i have a sneaking suspicion that if Seattle is OUT of the playoff come trade-deadline OR after the season is over, the Canucks may target Will Borgen from the Seattle Kraken.
Our right side is weak, who knows how long Willander will be till ready, and Will Borgen fits the bill IMO.

He's only 27 years old and will have under 300 NHL games so not a ton of hard miles on his body. he's 6'3 and over 200 lbs. Natural right shot guy who can play the right side and on the last year of a deal that has him entering UFA territory. Seems durable and put up 25 points (all even strength).
He has size and skating... these are two things that i think Management covet here in Vancouver.
He's more of a defensive dman but can move the puck and would pair will with an offensive guy. He's deployed a lot when the puck is in his own zone yet in 82 games last year he had a surprisingly good takeaway/giveaway ratio (16/19) and (14/23) the year prior.
He's shown he can handle 16/17 mins a night but i bet that if he had a top four role and used not just as a pure defender, he could play 18-20 minutes easy and probably put up more ES points. Still though, 25 Even strength points with 65% deployment in the Dzone is kind of impressive.

He's stuck behind two older long-contract right shot guys so i could see him looking to move on from Seattle for a chance to move up. Worst case scenario is he plays on your third pairing which would give us great depth.

• Love

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Put me in the Gage camp

No idea how he fits in but yep i'll take him
Imo it's a no brainer to send down Bains and Raty (&silovsdont@me), waive aman and possibly juulsen, and make multiple waiver claims.
Overall organizational depth can be greatly improved for zero assets, again I think waivers is underutilized by gms, especially teams with the high priorities.

I expect nothing but Patera.

Reactions: MS and andora

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
This trade pretty much confirms 100% we’re making a significant deal at the deadline, so the real question is who might be available, let’s put our trading hats on and try to figure this out shall we!

RFA and UFA Targets!
It would be fun to have a 24/25 trade deadline thread with a stickied cap accumulation counter. Watch it gradually increase until the deadline etc

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I'm going to put this out there. I have no intel and am just speculating and i could be completely off-base but i have a sneaking suspicion that if Seattle is OUT of the playoff come trade-deadline OR after the season is over, the Canucks may target Will Borgen from the Seattle Kraken.
Our right side is weak, who knows how long Willander will be till ready, and Will Borgen fits the bill IMO.

He's only 27 years old and will have under 300 NHL games so not a ton of hard miles on his body. he's 6'3 and over 200 lbs. Natural right shot guy who can play the right side and on the last year of a deal that has him entering UFA territory. Seems durable and put up 25 points (all even strength).
He has size and skating... these are two things that i think Management covet here in Vancouver.
He's more of a defensive dman but can move the puck and would pair will with an offensive guy. He's deployed a lot when the puck is in his own zone yet in 82 games last year he had a surprisingly good takeaway/giveaway ratio (16/19) and (14/23) the year prior.
He's shown he can handle 16/17 mins a night but i bet that if he had a top four role and used not just as a pure defender, he could play 18-20 minutes easy and probably put up more ES points. Still though, 25 Even strength points with 65% deployment in the Dzone is kind of impressive.

He's stuck behind two older long-contract right shot guys so i could see him looking to move on from Seattle for a chance to move up. Worst case scenario is he plays on your third pairing which would give us great depth.
Borgen would be a dream

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I'd be on the Gage train to the Gage camp but there are proven players ahead of him. I'd say we will subtract an NHL forward and add a defenceman within a month anyway.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
It would be fun to have a 24/25 trade deadline thread with a stickied cap accumulation counter. Watch it gradually increase until the deadline etc
imagine where demko is ltir until game 1 of the playoffs. van could acutally have 6 mill to play with at the deadline.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
I have a good feeling about this team this year. i think they will continue to surprise.

With a bit of cap space left, I think Allvin and Co will find another top 4 defenseman to round out the defensive core.

If Allvin can manage to trade away the horrid Poolman contract, look for him to make another trade that will surprise the he'll out of us.

Looking forward to this, let's just get the season started already.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I have a good feeling about this team this year. i think they will continue to surprise.

With a bit of cap space left, I think Allvin and Co will find another top 4 defenseman to round out the defensive core.

If Allvin can manage to trade away the horrid Poolman contract, look for him to make another trade that will surprise the he'll out of us.

Looking forward to this, let's just get the season started already.
a big fish name defenseman whose under contract instead of someone thats a impending ufa.

Reactions: PavelBure10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad