Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I really am not sure what the Canucks are going to do to be cap compliant. There are several paths, I just don't know which one they can take. The easiest option is just start the year on LTIR. The second easiest option is to trade Poolman. Trading Poolman would actually leave them with around 1m in cap space and a full 23-man roster with Demko and Joshua on IR.

Heinen-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Pettersson-Sprong
Hoglander-Blueger-Garland
Suter-Raty-Sherwood
Aman

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Desharnais
Friedman/Juulsen

Lankinen
Silovs

IR:
Poolman, Demko, & Joshua

With this roster they are at 1.52m over the cap. Trading Poolman would get them under the cap and with Raty waiver-exempt they could send him down on days off to toll extra space.
Sending Poolman and a late pick to CBJ for future considerations should be the main goal Id hope.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
PDG has been a good soldier for the Canucks..He definitely moved the needle when he was first acquired,but had stretches of being a no show last season ( obviously labouring from an injury)..I’d be surprised if he’s not claimed.

I’m still not sold on Bains..Last season,he had a bad propensity for taking dumb penalties in the offensive zone..Usually on his first shift,killing our momentum in the process.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
PDG has been a good soldier for the Canucks..He definitely moved the needle when he was first acquired,but had stretches of being a no show last season ( obviously labouring from an injury)..I’d be surprised if he’s not claimed.

I’m still not sold on Bains..Last season,he had a bad propensity for taking dumb penalties in the offensive zone..Usually on his first shift,killing our momentum in the process.
I'd actually be surprised if PDG was claimed

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Interesting, Seravalli just said on Sekeres & Price that Blueger should be ready for the regular season, and they've been slow-playing his ramp-up as a precaution. Will be interesting to see how the Blueger/Suter/Raty situation plays out if they're all healthy. I'd be surprised if they had Raty as a 13F for very long ... pending everyone's health maybe he's given one more pre-season game and sent down.

Weird to me they didn't play Sprong on that second unit at all thus far, and then toss him up there at the end of preseason.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Interesting, Seravalli just said on Sekeres & Price that Blueger should be ready for the regular season, and they've been slow-playing his ramp-up as a precaution. Will be interesting to see how the Blueger/Suter/Raty situation plays out if they're all healthy. I'd be surprised if they had Raty as a 13F for very long ... pending everyone's health maybe he's given one more pre-season game and sent down.

My guess would be Blueger plays on Friday. Raty wins out as the 4th line centre. Aman is the spare and Bains is sent down. However, if Suter is seriously hurt then Bains would take his spot.

Reactions: Hodgy

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
My guess would be Blueger plays on Friday. Raty wins out as the 4th line centre. Aman is the spare and Bains is sent down. However, if Suter is seriously hurt then Bains would take his spot.

Based on the lines posted, I think Raty will actually get sent down if all the Cs are healthy, and Aman will be carried as 13F. I think Bains is the fourth-line wing as above, until Joshua is back, then he's sent down as well.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Was Hirose sent down as well?

Bains and Raty the two big names left I guess.

Hopefully Aman gets traded to open up a spot.

I don't know if it's wise to do that. Aman is getting nothing in trade anyway, especially right now. We will always need center depth, what if Raty doesn't have success at the NHL level? We're down a center then and have no depth at that position. I would keep Raty up and Aman right now and see how that all plays out, especially while making sure Blueger is back to full health. Once Blueger and Joshua are back a determination on Raty and Aman can be made.

Reactions: sandwichbird2023

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Based on the lines posted, I think Raty will actually get sent down if all the Cs are healthy, and Aman will be carried as 13F. I think Bains is the fourth-line wing as above, until Joshua is back, then he's sent down as well.

It will be interesting how they play it. Raty is a better centre than Aman and Suter. He's the only one capable on the roster as pretending to be right-handed. Has PK and PP utility. From what we've seen in training camp and pre-season games, I'd rather have Raty as the 4th line centre with Suter and Sherwood flanking him with Aman as the 13th forward.

Reactions: Sonny A and arttk

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It will be interesting how they play it. Raty is a better centre than Aman and Suter. He's the only one capable on the roster as pretending to be right-handed. Has PK and PP utility. From what we've seen in training camp and pre-season games, I'd rather have Raty as the 4th line centre with Suter and Sherwood flanking him with Aman as the 13th forward.

Based on those practice line rushes it looks like they're just going to favour the veterans, which is very Tocchet. Looks like they are even going to try that Forbort-Desharnais pairing, which I think is abhorrent.

Aman in for Raty on the line rushes seems to indicate they think he's ahead on the 4C chart. I suspect they'll favor Suter/Blueger at C over Raty, while Bains is just holding a spot until Joshua returns, then Hoglander will rotate down into his spot and he'll be on the farm. Aman will be carried as 13F all season as a back-up C. I suspect they're happy to have Raty rip it up in the AHL this year and then have a spot next season.

Interested to see how long Sprong sticks on that second unit, as that could shake things up.

Looking like this when healthy:

Heinen-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Sherwood
Aman

Reactions: Nick Lang

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Ya, but we need to be thinking long term as well, and I don't think Raty has fully developed his game in the AHL yet. So, if management thinks more AHL play is beneficial to Raty, then the difference between Raty and Aman or Suter at centre, at this point, isn't going to be huge, although that difference may increase as the season goes on.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Raty with Suter and Sherwood is a good combination.

The only surprise to me has been that Hoglander hasn’t gotten a spot next to EP.

I always assumed they’d just go with Sprong on the fourth line to start. Hoglander in his usual role alongside EP

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Based on those practice line rushes it looks like they're just going to favour the veterans, which is very Tocchet. Looks like they are even going to try that Forbort-Desharnais pairing, which I think is abhorrent.

Aman in for Raty on the line rushes seems to indicate they think he's ahead on the 4C chart. I suspect they'll favor Suter/Blueger at C over Raty, while Bains is just holding a spot until Joshua returns, then Hoglander will rotate down into his spot and he'll be on the farm. Aman will be carried as 13F all season as a back-up C. I suspect they're happy to have Raty rip it up in the AHL this year and then have a spot next season.

Interested to see how long Sprong sticks on that second unit, as that could shake things up.

Looking like this when healthy:

Heinen-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Sherwood
Aman

Exactly how I would do it to. Verteran approach is the cautious and smart way. Raty has been decent in these no account games but in no way a shoe in to be a full time NHLer. Blueger has been pretty much almost a fulltime participant and should be in the starting line-up. I would carry Raty as insurance in case Blueger is hurting or Suter has to go to wing but when healthy Raty likely gets sent down unless he's just blowing it out of the water. Then we protect Friedman and Juulsen along the way and go from there. Bains, Raty, Lekkerimaki, Sassoon, and Karlsson, can all be brought up later if need be.

As far as defence I'm 100% going with Forbort and Desharnais to see how they fit with the rest of the team. If there are problems than our 2 subs can come in or a trade made if it's a train wreck.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Raty with Suter and Sherwood is a good combination.

The only surprise to me has been that Hoglander hasn’t gotten a spot next to EP.

I always assumed they’d just go with Sprong on the fourth line to start. Hoglander in his usual role alongside EP
Hog is not high IQ enough to play there.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Losing PDG to waivers would suck, he's a reason why forward depth has held up in the face of injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad