Grub's Canucks & NHL News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | Training Camp Begins

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Bains is a really meh player. He skates around with intent but always achieves little.

Aman is a player who is trusted by Tocchet. Doesn't really do anything to stand out but doesn't hurt the team.

Reactions: dez

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
bains sticking is mystifying. everything else makes sense altho i think raty is just a short term fill in for blueger

Reactions: Hodgy

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Was Hirose sent down as well?

Bains and Raty the two big names left I guess.

Hopefully Aman gets traded to open up a spot.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Bains probably will get sent down as well, not sure he did enough to earn a spot.
I get that Bains was kept to get one more opportunity in the last game of the season, but ultimately probably ends up in Abby after Friday.
Colour me surprised at PDG being waived at this point, especially over some guys who aren't waiver eligible. He's a likeable vet who played the 12th/13th forward role well the past two seasons and clearly had the trust and respect of his coaches and peers.
Also thought he played better than Aman for example.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Bains probably will get sent down as well, not sure he did enough to earn a spot.

I would not be surprised if he starts on the fourth line over Aman until Joshua is back. Once Joshua is back, yeah he'll get sent down almost certainly.

The fourth line probably:

Bains-Suter-Sprong
Aman

Still a bit of a mystery on Blueger, but he impacts Raty more than anything else. Once he and Joshua are back:

Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Hoglander-Suter-Sprong

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Now if they can move Forbort to the press box with Juulsen and find another LD that would be ideal.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Bains was the best forward on the ice in that game in Seattle.

I know it seems as if i'm a huge Bains guy - I actually like Sasson more as a long-term bet even if the upside is "lower". I'm very confident in saying Bains is not one of our 14 best forwards right now.

But trimming the numbers down - IMO Bains skating looked more improved relative to Karlsson. And Bains looked better than PDG to me. And Blais sucked.

It's probably just that they want extra bodies due to injuries for practice and that last pre-season game. And that they want to try sneaking a guy like PDG down now and to not risk losing him later, although then it makes you wonder why they kept Aman instead of Sasson if waivers were truly a concern

I don't think people should overthink this stuff though. Drance was saying they have to go into the season with only 21 players or something for the opening night roster to be cap compliant without LTI, which means Silovs likely goes down and Friedman stays as the 7th D / 13th F. Maybe Juulsen does beat out Friedman but I'm over the Juulsen thing personally.

Raty, Bains, Juulsen, Hirose, Silovs will all go down imo

Reactions: Lindgren

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I know it seems as if i'm a huge Bains guy - I actually like Sasson more as a long-term bet even if the upside is "lower". I'm very confident in saying Bains is not one of our 14 best forwards right now.

But trimming the numbers down - IMO Bains skating looked more improved relative to Karlsson. And Bains looked better than PDG to me. And Blais sucked.

It's probably just that they want extra bodies due to injuries for practice and that last pre-season game. And that they want to try sneaking a guy like PDG down now and to not risk losing him later, although then it makes you wonder why they kept Aman instead of Sasson if waivers were truly a concern

I don't think people should overthink this stuff though. Drance was saying they have to go into the season with only 21 players or something for the opening night roster to be cap compliant without LTI, which means Silovs likely goes down and Friedman stays as the 7th D / 13th F. Maybe Juulsen does beat out Friedman but I'm over the Juulsen thing personally.

Raty, Bains, Juulsen, Hirose, will all go down
Oh, I like Bains a lot, and I can see why the coaches like him. He hustles like a mad man, even if it's not always in the most effective way.

But did I think he was so strong as to bump a well liked, respected vet who played his role well the past couple of years? Honestly, no. So I'm a bit surprised.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Raty, Bains, Juulsen, Hirose, will all go down
was listening to Sat talking about this, apparently if they wanted to maximize cap they would've kept PDG. Keeping Raty over PDG would actually mean less cap. Keeping Bains over PDG i have no clue.

Bluegar is probably going to be back for the last preseason game, he's been in main practice already for like a week.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
was listening to Sat talking about this, apparently if they wanted to maximize cap they would've kept PDG. Keeping Raty over PDG would actually mean less cap. Keeping Bains over PDG i have no clue.

Bluegar is probably going to be back for the last preseason game, he's been in main practice already for like a week.
You're right, I do remember that. Think he said 140k in space vs 90k with Raty over PDG.

Maybe PA is announcing the Poolman trade in an hour and then this all makes more sense

• Haha
Reactions: arttk

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I think we've seen enough of PDG to know he's more of a call-up guy. He looked decent this pre-season but but that's because he's going 110% in pre-season to make the team. Seems like a good guy but I don't think he should be on the opening night roster. He is what he is at this point.

I feel similarly about Aman but him being able to play all 3 positions probably gives him more leash.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think we've seen enough of PDG to know he's more of a call-up guy. He looked decent this pre-season but but that's because he's going 110% in pre-season to make the team. Seems like a good guy but I don't think he should be on the opening night roster.

I feel similarly about Aman but him being able to play all 3 positions probably gives him more leash.

Yeah, we can't be pearl clutching over the prospect of losing these types of players on waivers.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Yeah, we can't be pearl clutching over the prospect of losing these types of players on waivers.

I don't think there is any "pearl clutching", more so that its probably more of a mild disappointment for a guy who has been a good soldier for the team for the last couple seasons...but I do agree that overall there really isn't a lot of heartburn (or at least shouldn't be) over some of these roster decisions.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I really am not sure what the Canucks are going to do to be cap compliant. There are several paths, I just don't know which one they can take. The easiest option is just start the year on LTIR. The second easiest option is to trade Poolman. Trading Poolman would actually leave them with around 1m in cap space and a full 23-man roster with Demko and Joshua on IR.

Heinen-Miller-Boeser
DeBrusk-Pettersson-Sprong
Hoglander-Blueger-Garland
Suter-Raty-Sherwood
Aman

Hughes-Hronek
Soucy-Myers
Forbort-Desharnais
Friedman/Juulsen

Lankinen
Silovs

IR:
Poolman, Demko, & Joshua

With this roster they are at 1.52m over the cap. Trading Poolman would get them under the cap and with Raty waiver-exempt they could send him down on days off to toll extra space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad